The Neighbor Lady and TP2000 Walk Into a Bar...

Curious Constance

Disney is a different company from even when Eisner/Wells ran it. However I don't get the impress that Iger is hands on like Eisner was. So really he doesn't need anyone to balance him out. Now what you're talking about is the need more for Co-Presidents at the head of each division. So Chapek needs a Co-President that is creative to help run the P&R division.
Chapek and a creative co-president would never work. One of them would end up killing the other in the first week. Chapek and a creative person can't co-exist on this Earth.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If you've taken classes that teach you how to draft on paper, then you know how to do it on paper.

The point is, knowing how to draw on paper proficiently will improve your ability to draw on a computer. If you're incapable of drawing on paper, then you won't be great on the computer-generated both with creative pieces, and when developing renderings in cad software

I was just talking about my personal talents. Yes being able to draw on paper will give you a better understanding of how to visualize an object and draw it in CAD. But its not a requirement and in some ways its a lot different.

But I've known many drafters over the years that rendered large complex items in CAD that couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler.

brb1006

Let's not forget this gem: View attachment 314868

From the looks of it, not only can they not draw- they can't use Photoshop either.

Edit- just saw the original Fantasmic concept art that was shared. Heartbreaking to see the difference between the original show and the new shows concept art. One looks like the creator was passionate about the work, the other- not so much.
It's like the artist that did the original Fantasmic concept art knew that some elements might not make it in. So they worked as hard as possible to make the art look as exciting and energetic as possible despite being motionless.
dd240636ad75aea0c9054da6f30ff86c.jpg

tumblr_osrai88UcC1v0pvuyo1_1280.jpg

Here's a Spring 1992 Disney News Magazine containing the concept art and the Imagineers.
front.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

SuddenStorm

It's like the artist that did the original Fantasmic concept art knew that some elements might not make it in. So they worked as hard as possible to make the art look as exciting and energetic as possible despite being motionless.
dd240636ad75aea0c9054da6f30ff86c.jpg

tumblr_osrai88UcC1v0pvuyo1_1280.jpg

Here's a Spring 1992 Disney News Magazine containing the concept art and the Imagineers.
front.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I actually recently went on an 80s and 90s Disney magazine shopping spree. Loads of photos of Fantasmic, splash mountain, Indy I hasn't seen elsewhere. Super cheap as well.

lazyboy97o

I was just talking about my personal talents. Yes being able to draw on paper will give you a better understanding of how to visualize an object and draw it in CAD. But its not a requirement and in some ways its a lot different.

But I've known many drafters over the years that rendered large complex items in CAD that couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler.
Drafters aren’t designers.

the.dreamfinder

I don't know if I believe that. WDI touches almost every aspect of the company now. Its no longer an extension of the Studio like in Walt's day where they were former or current animators working on Walt's projects. So they have many people in creative positions that do different disciplines of design like industrial, mechanical, fashion, architecture, graphic, etc. All of which require a different level of knowing how to draw.

One doesn't have to be an animator or artist to be in WDI.
Watch the Saul Bass clip I posted, this is about people making six figure salaries who lack basic competency in visual communication. Even Tony Baxter talked about his concerns that the Imagineers were straying away from drawing as a means of development/communication of idea.

Imagineer is nothing more to the company than an overpriced vendor for its physical brand interaction points (FKA Theme parks).

Last edited:

Figments Friend

We seriously need more people like you and @marni1971 that are very passionate and informative as future Imagineers.

As much as I appreciate the sentiment, the Disney Company I've always dreamed of working for no longer exists.
Hard truth I learned some years ago.
:(

Doesn't stop me from watching from afar, and hoping for a change.
I am not the only one waiting .....
;)

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom