The Neighbor Lady and TP2000 Walk Into a Bar...

lazyboy97o

You don't know what specific type of design engineer I was talking about, but whatever carry on....
I know that there are not a lot of engineers with titles like “Attraction Designer,” “Show Set Designer,” “Art Director,” “Show Producer,” or any of the other ones associated with what is considered the creative side of themed entertainment design.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know that there are not a lot of engineers with titles like “Attraction Designer,” “Show Set Designer,” “Art Director,” “Show Producer,” or any of the other ones associated with what is considered the creative side of themed entertainment design.

Those maybe Disney titles where the term engineer isn't used. But outside of Disney the term engineer in titles are used by a lot of designers. For example Interior Architectural Design Engineer which is equivalent to Disney's - Interior/Architectural Designer

Another example is Disney has a position for Industrial Engineer within P&R. Or PH-Show Mechanical Engineer which is a position in WDI for developing the next gen AAs.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Those maybe Disney titles where the term engineer isn't used. But outside of Disney the term engineer in titles are used by a lot of designers. For example Interior Architectural Design Engineer which is equivalent to Disney's - Interior/Architectural Designer

Another example is Disney has a position for Industrial Engineer within P&R. Or PH-Show Mechanical Engineer which is a position in WDI for developing the next gen AAs.
An architectural engineer is not equivalent to someone working towards being an architect or interior designer. Industrial and mechanical engineers are not the creative leads. Walt Disney Imagineering also has accountants and lawyers, but a job existing doesn’t mean such disciplines are leading creative development.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
An architectural engineer is not equivalent to someone working towards being an architect or interior designer. Industrial and mechanical engineers are not the creative leads. Walt Disney Imagineering also has accountants and lawyers, but a job existing doesn’t mean such disciplines are leading creative development.

Whatever....

brb1006

It's interesting how a decline in the quality of concept art corellates with a decline in the quality of the overall product. If the concept art lacks ambition, quality, *soul*, then it's more then likely the end product will as well. The Fantasmic concept art is an excellent example of this.
Seeing the old concept art for Fantasmic and the original show really showed how passionate the Imagineers and Disney Creative Team we're at the time. For a brief period in 1992 Ursula actually existed in the show as a float (Besides the water screens) but eventually broke down.

Sure Disney might not bring back the Ursula float since the Ursula section added Floatsam and Jetsam moving across the water. But after seeing Ursula's latest park appearance at the Frightfully Fun Parade (Which is Disneyland's new Halloween Parade). I think they should had stuck with this look of Ursula and not making her an AA/Robot on a boat for future reference. But that's wishful thinking.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Seeing the old concept art for Fantasmic and the original show really showed how passionate the Imagineers and Disney Creative Team we're at the time. For a brief period in 1992 Ursula actually existed in the show as a float (Besides the water screens) but eventually broke down.

Sure Disney might not bring back the Ursula float since the Ursula section added Floatsam and Jetsam moving across the water. But after seeing Ursula's latest park appearance at the Frightfully Fun Parade (Which is Disneyland's new Halloween Parade) I think they should had stuck with this look of Ursula and not making her an AA/Robot on a boat. But that's wishful thinking.

It's a shame that the Flotsam and Jetsam skis added in 2009 were as short lived (maybe even shorter lived) then Ursula.

It's also a shame that the new version has lost any kind of subtlety the original had.

Personally, I think Fantasmic! is one of Disney's greatest achievements- few shows have been able to endure like the original has. Something about the show- it's setting along the Rivers of America, it's perfect utilization of live actors and their interactions with the various effects the show utilized, and arguably the best original score Disneyland has ever had- created an experience that Disney hasn't been able to replicate with their WDW, Tokyo, or 2017 version of the show.

It saddens me that we'll never get to see the original show with the technology available in the 2017 version. The original show's soundtrack and animation didn't change for 25 years- it's tech only got plussed and expanded, but each update remained faithful to the intent and spirit of what came before. The 2017 version has already reworked the animation in the Genie scene, and the dialogue for the Pirates segment. I'm very curious to see how long this iteration lasts without further changes... but I hope that in a couple years, someone comes to their senses and restores the original show. IMO, Disney's shown they're incapable of outdoing the original show, so I wish they'd stop trying.

Last edited:

brb1006

It's a shame that the Flotsam and Jetsam skis added in 2009 were as short lived (maybe even shorter lived) then Ursula.

It's also a shame that the new version has lost any kind of subtlety the original had.

Personally, I think Fantasmic! is one of Disney's greatest achievements- few shows have been able to endure like the original has. Something about the show- it's setting along the Rivers of America, it's perfect utilization of live actors and their interactions with the various effects the show utilized, and arguably the best original score Disneyland has ever had- created an experience that Disney hasn't been able to replicate with their WDW, Tokyo, or 2017 version of the show.

It saddens me that we'll never get to see the original show with the technology available in the 2017 version. The original show's soundtrack and animation didn't change for 25 years- it's tech only got plussed and expanded, but each update remained faithful to the intent and spirit of what came before. The 2017 version has already reworked the animation in the Genie scene, and the dialogue for the Pirates segment. I'm very curious to see how long this iteration lasts without further changes... but I hope that in a couple years, someone comes to their senses and restores the original show. IMO, Disney's shown they're incapable of outdoing the original show, so I wish they'd stop trying.
While the WDW is inferior, at least parts of the original soundtrack and scenes are still kept (With a few changes) unlike the others versions. Plus with the 2017 update, the WDW version is now the last place for guests to hear Wayne Allwine's original Mickey voice now that "Dream Along With Mickey" got replaced in 2016. Surprisingly, Dream Along lasted 10 years and still had Wayne's voice since his death in 2009. The other parks now have Bret's Mickey voice.

TwilightZone

I remember hearing in a interview by defunctland that Eisner taught Iger or something like that. So we're in an endless cycle I'm afraid.

the.dreamfinder

SERIOUSLY.

Defunctland is one of a few theme park channels that has tens of thousands of subscribers, but thrives on poorly reserached information, false inferences, and fan theories that don't work.

Offhand is another big offender.
At least Bright Sun Films gets some decent recognition.

@marni1971 deserves A LOT more love from that platform.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom