The Mummy might outdue Disney's Mt Everest ?

conntom

I don't care about the Mummy. can keep it
Iam a Disney lover. I have never been to Universal
and I don't care to go there is a lot of things to do at
WDW for me. If you like Universal that is great.
The rides at Universal are not for me.

:)

ToTBellHop

I am sure Everest will have special effects...they can't really have the trains switch onto another track and head backwards with no real explanation and I doubt the Yeti will be standing alone against a black backdrop.

Jon_in_NC

I know this is a Disney board, but some people are just so closed minded. Some of you really sound like Star Wars and Star Trek nerds arguing about which is better. As is the case with Star Wars and Star Trek, Disney and Universal feed off of each other. Yes, no matter how much you Disney or Universal die hards may hate that, they feed off of each other and force each other to always try to attract you. Disney has great attractions, Universal has great attractions. Disney has some lame attractions, and Universal has some lame attractions.

We could go down the list and make comparisons I'm sure. Alien shooting game: Buzz Lightyear (plywood cutouts under UV light) vs. Men In Black (completely 3D environment and life-like aliens). Boat ride: Jungle Cruise (really great theming and environment) vs. Jaws (very short and not too engaging).

The point is, a person can like BOTH Disney and Universal. They aren't exactly the same kind of theme park, nor should they be. I quite enjoy both resorts and feel they both have a lot to offer.

NashvilleMouse

I thought the Mummy movie was a good movie. I have never been too fond of Universal's rides, but this one doesn't look half bad. It is not the speed or drop that determines how good a ride is... but the overall entertainment experience. (That is why I like Splash Mountain) I look forward to riding both.

Punkss

Originally posted by Jon_in_NC
I know this is a Disney board, but some people are just so closed minded. Some of you really sound like Star Wars and Star Trek nerds arguing about which is better. As is the case with Star Wars and Star Trek, Disney and Universal feed off of each other. Yes, no matter how much you Disney or Universal die hards may hate that, they feed off of each other and force each other to always try to attract you. Disney has great attractions, Universal has great attractions. Disney has some lame attractions, and Universal has some lame attractions.

The point is, a person can like BOTH Disney and Universal. They aren't exactly the same kind of theme park, nor should they be. I quite enjoy both resorts and feel they both have a lot to offer.

Thats very true, when i go in September i will be going to both universal studios and IOA. Probably also Seaworld and Busch Gardens because though they are different that is a good thing. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

EDIT: Oh and this is neither news or a rumour so wrong forum! And it also seems to be setup to create some kind of flaming as we all know this is a disney lovers board don't try to pitch people against each other with age old arguments. Let it be.

EDIT 2: Oh and EE and ROTM are 2 very different rides, don't try to compare them again just because they open round about the same time and/or have a track and other generic bits of the ride the same! (IE they both have a track!)

BwanaBob

Originally posted by Punkss

EDIT: Oh and this is neither news or a rumour so wrong forum!

"I'm gettin' va-clempt!! Talk amongst yourselves! I'll give you a topic. The 'Mummy" is neither in WDW, nor a mummy. Discuss!"

*bites lips, puts hand over chest, and holds back tears*

Merlin

Account Suspended

We could go down the list and make comparisons I'm sure. Alien shooting game: Buzz Lightyear (plywood cutouts under UV light) vs. Men In Black (completely 3D environment and life-like aliens). Boat ride: Jungle Cruise (really great theming and environment) vs. Jaws (very short and not too engaging).

Very well said!! It's amazing how some people actually seem to be rooting for the Mummy to be a bad attraction. Is that what we've come to? Is the failure of rival attractions the only way for Disney attractions to stand out these days?

As far as the original topic, I think both attractions sound very exciting. But based on what I've heard about both, I think the Mummy sounds much more cutting edge and exactly what I've come to expect from Disney. Everest sounds great too, but I haven't read anything that tells me it's going to be all that innovative.

AndyMagic

Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57
This looks like a very cheapened Indiana Jones Adventure with a few cool animatronics...and 40 mph isn't exactly incredible speed. I'm not impressed at all. Besides the animatronics that pop up from the ground almost as believably as the ghost heads in the graveyard scene of the Haunted Mansion, it uses effects that the Indiana Jones Adventure opened with 9 years ago, only you are riding on a roller coaster car which makes no sense to the already fragmented story. Theming a ride as a ride is lame. And the fact that they have nothing particularly special to show on a teaser released a couple months before the ride opens tells me that there will be very little that is special or novel about this ride. Have you seen the gift shop? It looks like the set to a high school play.

This always amuses me when people mock a ride that they know nothing about. The animatronics in the pictures looks like HM pop-ups heads because, umm... it is a picture. And last I checked, pictures don't move. The commercial that shows the mummy head popping up is not in the ride and is just for promotional purposes. The story of the attraction is NOT that it is a ride at all. Why not read some info on the story first before making up your own? I don't know where you are getting this idea that ROTM has effects introduced by Indiana Jones 9 years ago? Would you like to explain this theory? Do you even know what effects are being put into the ride? And finally, 40 mph in darkness will feel a heck of a lot faster than 50 mph outside of a mountain in the daylight swooping around incredibly wide turns. If any ride seems on the slow side, it is EE which at about 4 times the height of mummy, ends up going at about the same speed anyway. :rolleyes:

Gucci65

Did anyone happen to see the Universal Studios commercial on fox last night? At the end they say "if your tired of fairy tales and pixie dust check us out ...............

Here's hoping that Everest buries their Mummy!

imagineer99

Originally posted by Gucci65
Did anyone happen to see the Universal Studios commercial on fox last night? At the end they say "if your tired of fairy tales and pixie dust check us out ...............

They've been using that slogan for quite some time now! Nothing makes me more upset....Disney doesn't bash Universal in its advertisements.:(

BrerBear

Disney will most likely counter attack this ad with it's own once Everest opens...in two years:cry:

One shot of that completed mountain in a commercial will destroy the image of disney rides as "lame" or "for kids only", an idea that Universal is trying to expoit right now.

Which one would catch your attention while watching TV?

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=8188863
(What's up with those lockers, they don't fit in at all?)

or

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=8188841

DisneyFan 2000

Agreed! Some people just won't accept good entertainment! What are you people even arguing about? Enjoy both! Let Disney and Universal compete, and we'll have the fun! I'm tired of seeing people judge something before they even know what it's like! It has come to such levels, that people claim IoA was created by WDI!!! Enough of this! Just enjoy both worlds! I know I'm going to! :D

Testtrack321

One thing I think people always have liked it the size and scope of a ride. If the ride is in a small building, it usually dosn't get as good of a response as one that's huge and seen everywhere. I think Mummy might be great, but the scope might be way to small. I might seem like M:S than a true coaster.

Disney2002

Anyone else not like how universal has abandon the orignal zoning ideas. With Kong gone, the NY area just has no meaning anymore.

Also, another universal complaint (I say this thinking that Mummy will probably be an amazing ride, so no flaming)... I never liked how a number of attractions had employees doing the really lame voice over work. I have the same complaint about the Great Movie Ride... it just really detracts from the experience.

Gucci65

Originally posted by imagineer99
They've been using that slogan for quite some time now! Nothing makes me more upset....Disney doesn't bash Universal in its advertisements.:(

Yep I think it's rude too.

stingrock23

How can it not seem like a real coaster when it is. . . . a real coaster. I can't comprehend why lots of people are so intent on bashing one or the other. Look people, these are going to be 2 incredibly detailed and exciting attractions and we should just enjoy what competition has brought out of these 2 companies. Now I know that this being a Disney site will produce more pro-disney arguments, but is there really a reason to bash mummy? Once it opens, won't you at least give it a spin and see what it's all about? My philosophy is if they're gonna build it, i'm gonna ride it. (again and again if it's good).

Testtrack321

Originally posted by stingrock23
How can it not seem like a real coaster when it is. . . . a real coaster. I can't comprehend why lots of people are so intent on bashing one or the other. Look people, these are going to be 2 incredibly detailed and exciting attractions and we should just enjoy what competition has brought out of these 2 companies. Now I know that this being a Disney site will produce more pro-disney arguments, but is there really a reason to bash mummy? Once it opens, won't you at least give it a spin and see what it's all about? My philosophy is if they're gonna build it, i'm gonna ride it. (again and again if it's good).

My argument is based on the fact that smaller more cramped rides usually arn't huge hits with the guests. They want to pay to be taken away. Probably the only reason why Spiderman is a hit is because it is in a huge ride building that isolates all the parts of the ride. The mummy dosn't have that. No flamming here, just the truth.

PeterAlt

Where are they building Mummy (which park, and where in that park?)? And what is its budget? EE is $100 million.

stingrock23

Originally posted by Testtrack321
My argument is based on the fact that smaller more cramped rides usually arn't huge hits with the guests. They want to pay to be taken away. Probably the only reason why Spiderman is a hit is because it is in a huge ride building that isolates all the parts of the ride. The mummy dosn't have that. No flamming here, just the truth.

If I'm not mistaken, the Mummy will be in one of the largest indoor warehouses. I'm not sure how big it is in relation to Spider Man, but the existing Mummy warehouse is huge, bigger than the one at USH where their Mummy is going in.

Space Mountain and Rock n Roller coaster are 2 indoor, cramped rides that seem to be hits with guests. I just don't think the fact that it's indoor will take that much away, because it's a huge element of how the ride was designed. Until it's opened and you've experienced it, you'll never know how good or bad it actually is.

I think we could all use a little more cowbell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom