The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
Makes me grateful Disney was willing to bulldoze our Fantasyland in the '80s. Imagine if we still had the carnival tent facades.

I wonder if they never did Fantasyland 83 if we would have nostalgia for the tents? No, no way right? At least not after we saw what they replaced it with. Back then, anything being replaced or modified at DL was almost always objectively better afterwards

SuddenStorm

I wonder if they never did Fantasyland 83 if we would have nostalgia for the tents? No, no way right? At least not after we saw what they replaced it with. Back then, anything being replaced or modified at DL was almost always objectively better afterwards

If Disney announced a redo of Fantasyland today I'd be worried. But the original version of Disneyland's was definitely weak- generic fencing, budget facades, and dated effects. It is a shame they didn't find a way to save Skull Rock and the Chicken of the Sea Ship- but what's there now is so good that it's not the worst loss.

Say what you will about Baxter and crew, but they certainly knew how to update Disneyland in a way that both respected what came before- but improved upon in. In one of the Season Pass interviews he talks about the importance of not marring Disneyland- that each addition should feel as if it had always been that way. Of course, they kinda messed up with Tomorrowland '98 but before then things were great.

Disneyland fans typically aren't nostalgic for things that need improving. No one lamented the loss of Innoventions, Circle Vision Theater, Honey I Shrunk the Audience. If Winnie the Pooh closed today for either a thorough upgrade or a new attraction, few would complain. It's when things are changed for the worse or aren't replaced at all- Skyway, Country Bear, Peoplemover, Captain Eo, Pirates, etc. that people throw a fit.

mickEblu

Original Poster
If Disney announced a redo of Fantasyland today I'd be worried. But the original version of Disneyland's was definitely weak- generic fencing, budget facades, and dated effects. It is a shame they didn't find a way to save Skull Rock and the Chicken of the Sea Ship- but what's there now is so good that it's not the worst loss.

Say what you will about Baxter and crew, but they certainly knew how to update Disneyland in a way that both respected what came before- but improved upon in. In one of the Season Pass interviews he talks about the importance of not marring Disneyland- that each addition should feel as if it had always been that way. Of course, they kinda messed up with Tomorrowland '98 but before then things were great.

Disneyland fans typically aren't nostalgic for things that need improving. No one lamented the loss of Innoventions, Circle Vision Theater, Honey I Shrunk the Audience. If Winnie the Pooh closed today for either a thorough upgrade or a new attraction, few would complain. It's when things are changed for the worse or aren't replaced at all- Skyway, Country Bear, Peoplemover, Captain Eo, Pirates, etc. that people throw a fit.

Well said. We don’t hate everything new. I wouldnt complain about Pooh but I’d be very worried about the screen based Zootopia ride replacing it. Lol

Californian Elitist

And this is the problem that’s been talked about by a few of us now. Theoretically, I would love for a few projects to happen at Disneyland, the main one being a Tomorrowland renovation. Unfortunately, Disney has currently shown that they can’t be trusted. I’d rather everything just stay as is than to have the current folks go in with their god-awful ideas.

Fantasyland is one of the few lands that I’d say is near perfect. The Fantasyland Theatre area could use some work, but other than that, Fantasyland is great as is.

SuddenStorm

I’m losing more and more faith that they ll do Splash any sort of justice. If someone were to put a gun to my head and have me pick an IP to replace it with it would most likely be PatF though.

I had a thought the other day- with Splash going how cool would it be if they brought back an updated version of America Sings? Bring some of the old figures back, add new ones, add a screen or two, and update it with more music. The Carousel Theater isn't doing anything productive anyways- so why not?

SuddenStorm

And this is the problem that’s been talked about by a few of us now. Theoretically, I would love for a few projects to happen at Disneyland, the main one being a Tomorrowland renovation. Unfortunately, Disney has currently shown that they can’t be trusted. I’d rather everything just stay as is than to have the current folks go in with their god-awful ideas.

Fantasyland is one of the few lands that I’d say is near perfect. The Fantasyland Theatre area could use some work, but other than that, Fantasyland is great as is.

I forget that the Fantasyland Theater is there and apart of Fantasyland.

But I guess I really only think of the main portion of Fantasyland and forget Matterhorn and Small World are considered Fantasyland also.

SuddenStorm

Is if sacrilegious to think IASW could use a major renovation? Not anytime soon with Chapek at the helm but one day.

How major are you talking?

I'd love for it to get a lighting overhaul, perhaps darkening the room in places so the ceiling isn't as noticeable. Increasing the motion on some of the figures. Getting rid of Little Mermaid because fish people aren't real and it cheapens the message of the ride.

waltography

Is if sacrilegious to think IASW could use a major renovation? Not anytime soon with Chapek at the helm but one day.
Not at all. I think the exterior is perfect the way it is (needs some TLC but not a redo), but the interior is kind of embarrassing when you compare it to something like Sinbad at TDS. At the very least, they could reduce the seams that expose the ride building/infrastructure (office tile ceilings, exposed lighting rigs and stand poles, etc.).

mickEblu

Original Poster
How major are you talking?

I'd love for it to get a lighting overhaul, perhaps darkening the room in places so the ceiling isn't as noticeable. Increasing the motion on some of the figures. Getting rid of Little Mermaid because fish people aren't real and it cheapens the message of the ride.

Lighting, projections, upgraded dolls (it’s amazing seeing videos from the 60s and seeing how much more fluid the dolls or even AAs on POTC moved). Do something with those ceiling tiles Give me a cloud/ blue sky ceiling like the Caesars palace mall or come up with something clever to hide the ceiling like in the Africa room. I’d love if they could make it flooded like WDW but that would most likely never happen and wouldn’t be worth the $/ hassle for them.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Not at all. I think the exterior is perfect the way it is (needs some TLC but not a redo), but the interior is kind of embarrassing when you compare it to something like Sinbad at TDS. At the very least, they could reduce the seams that expose the ride building/infrastructure (office tile ceilings, exposed lighting rigs and stand poles, etc.).

The exterior is Perfect. I even like what they did with extended outdoor queue with the Jacaranda trees.

Nland316

I’d love the proposed update to IASW that was supposed to come to Tokyo’s Fantasyland redo. I can’t find the concept art, but it was a multi-leveled building with hot air balloons suspended from the roof, and boats on the ground level. Both rideable. Looked pretty amazing!

Rich T

I had a thought the other day- with Splash going how cool would it be if they brought back an updated version of America Sings? Bring some of the old figures back, add new ones, add a screen or two, and update it with more music. The Carousel Theater isn't doing anything productive anyways- so why not?
Carousel Theater would have to be rebuilt from scratch, but... what a great high-capacity addition this would be, and DL needs a big, spectacular AA show to regain a big chunk if its former charm. If I was CEO, I’d greenlight this immediately.

Bobs: “How the _____ would something like this sell Marvel or Star Wars toys? NO!!!!!!”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom