The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

It's a question of Broadway vs the opera or ballet. While I do love Broadway, to say it's a higher art than the ballet is just silly.
We’re talking movies, and—as in any art—all that really matters is the final product, not the inspiration. Beauty and the Beast is (in my opinion) a much better film than Sleeping Beauty. Sleeping Beauty has incredibly strong design and clever use of a classic score. It also features a title character who does nothing and learns nothing while the film spends a ridiculous amount of time on three fairies bickering, saccharine forest critters and a “wacky” drunk minstrel.

Beauty and the Beast is a mixed bag visually, but the end result isn’t just a great animated film, it’s one of the most solid examples of tight, effective storytelling in film history. The end result is a better movie. As a bonus, its opening number is as close to an animated Gilbert snd Sullivan as we’re ever going to get.

But, again, when you’re judging a movie, the final product is what matters, not the base source material.

SuddenStorm

It's said by some who were able to decode some Maraglyphs that the entrance to Indiana Jones Adventure is getting redone in November.

They're getting rid of the truck and changing the fastpass/standby entrance.

Good news.... Apparently, temple renovations were able to be completed without any workers gazing into the eyes of Mara.... The truck lives on. Newly uncovered Maraglyphs state the decision to remove the truck was changed last minute... Making my reputation as a rumor reporter suspect.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Good news.... Apparently, temple renovations were able to be completed without any workers gazing into the eyes of Mara.... The truck lives on. Newly uncovered Maraglyphs state the decision to remove the truck was changed last minute... Making my reputation as a rumor reporter suspect.
But did they change the fastpass/standy enterance?

TROR

We’re talking movies, and—as in any art—all that really matters is the final product, not the inspiration. Beauty and the Beast is (in my opinion) a much better film than Sleeping Beauty. Sleeping Beauty has incredibly strong design and clever use of a classic score. It also features a title character who does nothing and learns nothing while the film spends a ridiculous amount of time on three fairies bickering, saccharine forest critters and a “wacky” drunk minstrel.

Beauty and the Beast is a mixed bag visually, but the end result isn’t just a great animated film, it’s one of the most solid examples of tight, effective storytelling in film history. The end result is a better movie. As a bonus, its opening number is as close to an animated Gilbert snd Sullivan as we’re ever going to get.

But, again, when you’re judging a movie, the final product is what matters, not the base source material.
Inspired by or not, the music's result is a comparison between opera/ballet and Broadway, of which, between the two, opera/ballet is superior to Broadway.

lazyboy97o

Inspired by or not, the music's result is a comparison between opera/ballet and Broadway, of which, between the two, opera/ballet is superior to Broadway.
You’re engaging in the same sort of garbage claims of an inherent hierarchy of storytelling mediums that has so many people placing themed entertainment as inferior to and derivative of cinema and television.

TROR

You’re engaging in the same sort of garbage claims of an inherent hierarchy of storytelling mediums that has so many people placing themed entertainment as inferior to and derivative of cinema and television.
A living museum is themed entertainment and I’d be shocked to hear someone say that’s inferior to television shows, a product which exists solely to sell commercials.

lazyboy97o

A living museum is themed entertainment and I’d be shocked to hear someone say that’s inferior to television shows, a product which exists solely to sell commercials.
You've obviously never read a lot of critiques of themed entertainment.

mickEblu

Original Poster

BATB is a much better movie. Sleeping Beauty is gorgeous and the better work of art. With that said, BATB isn’t as high on my list as most people. It has some pacing issues and feels a little rushed. I think some story and character development is sacrificed to fit in all of those musical numbers. Of course it uses songs like “Somethings There” to move the story along on fast forward. It’s one of Disney’s best, has great songs and is very entertaining. I’m just not sure it deserves the #1 crown it seems to have on most lists.

Last edited:

Rich T

BATB is a much better movie. Sleeping Beauty is gorgeous and the better work of art. With that said, BATB isn’t as high on my list as most people. It has some pacing issues and feels a little rushed. I think some story and character development is sacrificed to fit in all of those musical numbers. Of course it uses songs like “Somethings There” to move the story along on fast forward. It’s one of Disney’s best, has great songs and is very entertaining. I’m just not sure it deserves the #1 crown it seems to have on most lists.
It’s not my #1 Disney film. That would be Pinocchio.

TROR

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Bambi, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, and Sleeping Beauty are most of my favorite Disney movies. They're all just such beautiful pictures (except for maybe Peter Pan, but I have a strong nostalgia bias for that film).

Phroobar

When you’re ranking a film, you should judge it by the whole finished product, not just the music. Otherwise, The Care Bears Nutcracker would have to be deemed better than Snow White.
Can't get any more obscure than The Care Bears Nutcracker. I bet there is a five year old that is making you watch that over and over.

Let's face it. Nothing Disney has done since Sleeping Beauty can top Gay Purr-ee.

Don't worry it's safe. 1962 Judy Garland. Fritz Freeling animation.

SuddenStorm

The Opera House was completely uncovered today. Looks really good.

Mac Tonight

Popeye’s Classic Chicken Sandwich:

7.5/10

-A full, meaty piece of chicken with almost a slightly sweet breading vs. Chick Fil A.
-A mayo-based sauce vs. plain Chick Fil A.
-Thicker pickles vs. Chick Fil A.

Overall good, though not life-changing.

Was totally surprised with a line out the door today at 3pm. The hype train is still chugging along.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Popeye’s Classic Chicken Sandwich:

7.5/10

-A full, meaty piece of chicken with almost a slightly sweet breading vs. Chick Fil A.
-A mayo-based sauce vs. plain Chick Fil A.
-Thicker pickles vs. Chick Fil A.

Overall good, though not life-changing.

Was totally surprised with a line out the door today at 3pm. The hype train is still chugging along.

For reference, what do you give Chick Fil A?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom