The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My wild goofball prediction: Disney will never build another park in the U.S. Financial, cultural, legal and technological changes will make further from-scratch expansions unworkable. What they WILL do is buy Six Flags or Cedar Fair and Disney-fy those parks... in the cheapest ways possible.
...but, man... Can’t you just picture it: “Disney proudly announces its new park in Valencia, California: Pixar Mountain!”

That might be the only way we’d ever get a Disney Park up near us in Nor Cal. Disney Great America or Disney Discovery Kingdom.

Actually I’m liking the sound of it!

mickEblu

Original Poster
My wild goofball prediction: Disney will never build another park in the U.S. Financial, cultural, legal and technological changes will make further from-scratch expansions unworkable. What they WILL do is buy Six Flags or Cedar Fair and Disney-fy those parks... in the cheapest ways possible.

So basically a big Pixar Pier with maybe like one or two dark rides.

Travel Junkie

That's the problem. I don't care what's best for shareholders and the CEO, I care about art.

You don't want the CEO to act like a CEO then.

Art has always been influenced by politics and commerce. For example most of the great Dutch master paintings are simply portraits of wealthy people who commissioned artists to make them look good. If you study the history or famous pieces or art, you more often than not find it was the result of a wealthy and power person or persons allowing it to happen and done so under specific conditions.

WDI has to balance making compelling attractions for a mass audience while also appeasing the business side. That mass audience part is getting tougher everyday as tastes and likes get more and more fragmented. We can't even all agree the earth is round.

We can go back and forth on how much they succeed, but I think they do a good job generally speaking with what they have to work with. Sometimes they lay an egg (Pixar Pier) but Galaxy's Edge looks promising from a creative standpoint. They could have just recreated and existing place in the Star Wars universe, but they didn't. They created a whole new place. They didn't take the easy way out and the executive team including Iger should be given credit for approving of WDI going that direction with a massive check.

Curious Constance

My god, he finally arrived!

1546730786125.png

I see he's crying in this picture. I'm going to assume it's tears of joy.

I don't know, I still think the first one was better.

1546730856748.png

DanielBB8

You should have stopped after the first sentence. They will never buy another chain and dilute the existing Disney Parks in both coasts. Disney will further expand in other countries where they will take advantage of generous tax breaks that will never be offered in the US.

Parks will developed in partnerships like Shanghai Disneyland where funds will be majority provided by foreign governments. Disney takes a cut in royalty and management fees. Like Paris, Disney will buy it back after the partners cry uncle after repeated losses and the property depreciated to a cheap valuation. Then Disney cashes in. Who knows how much longer the Hong Kong government will endure losses. Shanghai has been a hit since day one so this model will work in this location only.

180º

In honor of Haunted Mansion Holiday closing to transform back into Haunted Mansion: The Other 2/3 of the Year, and in honor of my 999th post (and my first post since early November!), here’s my Mansion wish list:

• Rip out front yard pet cemetery and hearse
• Upgraded traveling light effect that won’t break and go unfixed for years
• Resurfaced stretching rooms
• A solution for the load area light problem
• a Leota face without oversaturated colors
• a darker and spookier attic
• Bride upgraded to at least WDW’s design
• Ideally, a bride that doesn’t talk
• Ditch the attic piano and its audio track
• Bat-mobiles! Attic blast up!
• Desaturate Hat Box Ghost’s color scheme
• Darken and de-clutter HBG’s tableau
• Replace all graveyard pop-ups with snappier models and restore their screams
• Projection mapped singing busts replace the spotlight-and-gobo method
• New lighting throughout
• Upgraded sound system throughout
• Keep regular Mansion open at least through Halloween, close for adequate refurbishment every year after HMH
• Or ditch HMH altogether 🤷‍♂️

And squishy doom buggy seats like in Florida!

SuddenStorm

This castle refurb, if Kim Irvine's concept art is at all accurate- seems to be a huge win, bringing back more subdued and classy coloring that will be appreciated by the fans, plus it costs a relatively low $300,000.

I'm also reminded of the Little man at Disneyland house they added to Adventureland a few years back. I'm wondering what other low cost additions of changes Disney could do to improve the park?

I'd love to see the Main Street locker room get themed, it's incredibly bland and seems really out of place on Main Street. If Disney can theme bathrooms, they can theme lockers.

Or perhaps expand the Disney Gallery to include more vintage park memorabilia, what they have now is a bit embarrassing and empty.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
In honor of Haunted Mansion Holiday closing to transform back into Haunted Mansion: The Other 2/3 of the Year, and in honor of my 999th post (and my first post since early November!), here’s my Mansion wish list:

• Rip out front yard pet cemetery and hearse
• Upgraded traveling light effect that won’t break and go unfixed for years
• Resurfaced stretching rooms
• A solution for the load area light problem
• a Leota face without oversaturated colors
• a darker and spookier attic
• Bride upgraded to at least WDW’s design
• Ideally, a bride that doesn’t talk
• Ditch the attic piano and its audio track
• Bat-mobiles! Attic blast up!
• Desaturate Hat Box Ghost’s color scheme
• Darken and de-clutter HBG’s tableau
• Replace all graveyard pop-ups with snappier models and restore their screams
• Projection mapped singing busts replace the spotlight-and-gobo method
• New lighting throughout
• Upgraded sound system throughout
• Keep regular Mansion open at least through Halloween, close for adequate refurbishment every year after HMH
• Or ditch HMH altogether 🤷‍♂️

And squishy doom buggy seats like in Florida!

Love it. Except the ditch HMH idea ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom