The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
I love Mario Wonder. Haven’t quite gotten to the end yet, but I’ve found the game so far to be great fun and full of terrific creative twists. The Piranha Plant musical number is probably my favorite level in any game ever. And Elephant Mario has got to be a standard power up from this point forward!

Odyssey is still my favorite Mario platformer from this console generation, but Wonder is pretty great. 😃

Lol. I was literally going to tell you this when you responded. The singing piranha plants are my favorite part! Elephant Mario was awesome. They re going to have to make a few more of these.

Consumer

Once again I am lamenting the destruction of the Hollywood and Highland mall.
1708604626977.png

1708604633837.png

Nothing is allowed to be fun anymore and I hate it.

Consumer

Ugh…that “update” looks awful. They may as well just tear it down.
Agreed. Tearing it down and building apartments with shopping on the ground level, much like the Americana at Brand would really help Hollywood Blvd.

Even though I do think the Hollywood Blvd. revitalization project will do a lot to fix some of the problems in Hollywood, it will still suffer from not enough local traffic. Adding housing, grocery stores, and other places people actually need (instead of souvenir shops and Scientology stores) would bring a lot of life to Hollywood.
1708608479788.png

Phroobar

Agreed. Tearing it down and building apartments with shopping on the ground level, much like the Americana at Brand would really help Hollywood Blvd.

Even though I do think the Hollywood Blvd. revitalization project will do a lot to fix some of the problems in Hollywood, it will still suffer from not enough local traffic. Adding housing, grocery stores, and other places people actually need (instead of souvenir shops and Scientology stores) would bring a lot of life to Hollywood.
View attachment 769762
That area is pretty scary. It feels like Vegas but seeder. How about banning all the people giving out flyers for and hookers?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Went to the park a couple days ago and had a really nice day! Disneyland is a place where we choose to be present and I suppose the main reason we don't get tired of it. With the Imagine passes we can only go about every 4 weeks or so and I think that’s sweet spot for us. Kind of got stale going every two weeks.

We ve been getting the tail end of these storms and it’s been working out with the last showers in the early AM and then beautiful, crispy partly sunny days at the park. It’s always crowded though now. They really did it between the different day ticket tiers, AP blackouts and seasonal discounts. Everyday just kind of hovers at 85-90% and we are just desensitized to it. 10 years ago today would have felt pretty crowded to me. Not really a big deal for us as we have it down but I always wonder why a regular day guest would want to go back. Especially with no Genie +.

With HM and Splash down we are getting a lot of rides on Pirates. Gadgets is a new one on the rotation now that my daughter hit 35 inches. Jungle Cruise was pretty sad. About 60 % of AAs just not moving at all. Only 1 or 2 AAs moving in the Elephant bathing pool.

That garlic cheesy pretzel bread is really good! I don’t even understand what that cheese substance they fill it up with it is but they are addicting. I would never say this in front of my Italian family but I even get a side of the Lunchables quality marinara sauce to dip a few of the bites in.

Ate at Great Maple at the Pixar Place hotel for dinner and it was delicious! We split the ribeye melt, a broccoli cheddar soup and some portobello mushroom fries. Everything was great. Soup was a little too rich but fine if you’re sharing. It’s a tad pricey even by DLR standards but portions are generous. Would I rather have some themed dining experience there? Maybe. But I’m sure it wouldn’t taste as good. First thought I had was “this is definitely not Disney food.” Now don’t get me wrong, a lot of Disneyland food is good, especially by theme park standards.

Anyway, they re definitely getting ready for the 70th. Scrims and refurbs everywhere. And it must be the reason they decided to have Splash and HM down at the same time.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Went to the park a couple days ago and had a really nice day! With the Imagine passes we can only go about every 4 weeks or so and I think that’s sweet spot for us. Kind of got stale going every two weeks.

We ve been getting the tail end of these storms and it’s been working out with the last showers in the early AM and then beautiful, crispy partly sunny days at the park. It’s always crowded though now. They really did it between the different day ticket tiers, AP blackouts and seasonal discounts. Everyday just kind of hovers at 85-90% and we are just desensitized to it. 10 years ago today would have felt pretty crowded to me. Not really a big deal for us as we have it down but I always wonder why a regular day guest would want to go back. Especially with no Genie +.

With HM and Splash down we are getting a lot of rides on Pirates. Gadgets is a new one on the rotation now that my daughter hit 35 inches. Jungle Cruise was pretty sad. About 60 % of AAs just not moving at all. Only 1 or 2 AAs moving in the Elephant bathing pool.

That garlic cheesy pretzel bread is really good! I don’t even understand what that cheese substance they fill it up with it is but they are addicting. I would never say this in front of my Italian family but I even get a side of the Lunchables quality marinara sauce to dip a few of the bites in.

Ate at Great Maple at the Pixar Place hotel for dinner and it was delicious! We split the ribeye melt, a broccoli cheddar soup and some portobello mushroom fries. Everything was great. Soup was a little too rich but fine if you’re sharing. It’s a tad pricey even by DLR standards but portions are generous. Would I rather have some themed dining experience there? Maybe. But I’m sure it wouldn’t taste as good. First thought I had was “this is definitely not Disney food.” Now don’t get me wrong, a lot of Disneyland food is good, especially by theme park standards.

Anyway, they re definitely getting ready for the 70th. Scrims and refurbs everywhere. And it must be the reason they decided to have Splash and HM down at the same time.
We ate at Great Maple our last trip and we enjoyed it also, nothing amazing, just good food, we probably could have shared one dish between the 2 of us though, the portions were huge.

Consumer

I'm having a tough time comprehending that Tower of Terror was only at DCA for 12.5 years but Mission Breakout has already been there for 6.5 years. Tower of Terror just seemed so instantly integral to DCA's identity in a way that Mission Breakout has not. Is it just because I'm old? Is it because I just hate Mission Breakout? Or am I right that Mission Breakout never truly cemented itself as a fixture of DCA? I know Mission Breakout has its "fans" but those aren't real people so I tend to disregard anything they have to say.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I'm having a tough time comprehending that Tower of Terror was only at DCA for 12.5 years but Mission Breakout has already been there for 6.5 years. Tower of Terror just seemed so instantly integral to DCA's identity in a way that Mission Breakout has not. Is it just because I'm old? Is it because I just hate Mission Breakout? Or am I right that Mission Breakout never truly cemented itself as a fixture of DCA? I know Mission Breakout has its "fans" but those aren't real people so I tend to disregard anything they have to say.

You are not old. You are right. And that’s crazy that it’s already been there for half the amount of time TOT existed. Of course for me TOT only really existed for about 6 years as I didn’t ride it until 2010.

It’s crazy to me that I went to Disneyland about 4-5 times between 2004-2009, saw TOT looming over DCA and wasn’t remotely interested or intrigued. Even though I should have been as the Full House WDW episode showcased it and peaked my interest in the mid 90s. Man, my first experience at DCA in 2001 must have been awful for me to not go back until 2010. It’s almost like it didn’t even exist.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

Tower of Terror just seemed so instantly integral to DCA's identity in a way that Mission Breakout has not. Is it just because I'm old? Is it because I just hate Mission Breakout? Or am I right that Mission Breakout never truly cemented itself as a fixture of DCA?
For what it's worth, to me Tower of Terror was kind of a watershed moment for the park. It seemed like the first true acknowledgement from Disney that they had undercooked their second gate and were taking its recovery seriously.

Rich T

Here’s a small but inevitable thing about VR I haven’t heard anyone mention yet… What do you do when you watch a movie that makes you cry?

I bought an Apple Vision Pro, and the movie watching experience in the headset is amazing… especially in the Disney+ virtual theaters. Tonight I watched Luca. It looked and sounded spectacular, but I forgot that the ending of this film makes me cry every time. So toward the end when I felt the eyeball waterworks kick into gear, I had to quickly remove the headset before I got saltwater all over the bottom rim of my pricey gizmo. I’ll go back to watch the last few moments when my eyes dry out. I really do think Luca is possibly Pixar’s most under-appreciated film.

Micro-review of Vision Pro: Despite a few complaints I have, it does certain things so well that it does feel (to me) like stepping into the future. My hope is that over the next few years, enough content and amazing new experiences roll out to make me feel that, yeah, it was worth the investment. Fingers crossed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom