The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Sailor310

Just saw a few old extended family pictures from Disneyland in the 70s and wish I could have experienced old Disneyland. But then again I kind of did. I feel like Disneyland in the late 80s/early 90s had more in common with Disneyland of the 60s then today does with Disneyland of the 80s.
Watch what you wish for. Grad Nite '77. Space Mountain had just opened. We waited 3 hours in line then the ride broke down. We had to start walking back to the bus as the sun was coming up.
Seriously, I do miss People Mover, Skull Rock, Carousel of Progress, Trams, Country Bear Jamboree, lower crowds in the off season.
Mid 80's I loved taking my girlfriend to dance to the swing band on many Saturday nights.

Question: I seems like I got some really good price for after 6PM (mid 80's) for the swing band. Does anyone remember the deal?

Found this on Micechat Yesterland. It looks like $40 for every summer night after 5pm all summer long. I was/am cheap, so that sounds like my price range for many nights of dancing. I don't remember the bands being so famous. I had some of Tex Beneke and Artie Shaw's albums. I'd think I'd remember dancing to those bands.

Carnation Plaza Gardens at Disneyland

Last edited:

Rich T

For me, Old Disneyland ended with the opening of Fantasmic. Beautiful, relaxing nighttime atmosphere replaced by spectacle, locals trashing the riverside daily with their gross expanse of picnic blankets, and awful crowd situations. And then the evil idea to start charging extra for a once-free balcony view, which really let the greed genie out of the bottle.

It’s hard to describe to younger people how DL used to be a genuinely stress-free, super-affordable escape from the insanities of the modern world. … that required no pre-planning whatsoever.

TP2000

It’s hard to describe to younger people how DL used to be a genuinely stress-free, super-affordable escape from the insanities of the modern world. … that required no pre-planning whatsoever.

He wasn't joking when he said this. He was being very serious, and very honest. And it's what made the place world famous...

"I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they're in the Park. I want them to feel they're in another world."
-Walt Disney

waltography

If anyone needs another reason to ditch Twitter, I was just informed that I have "exceeded my Tweet limit for the day" and that I should "try again tomorrow."

I retweeted 10 things today. I made no original tweets in that time.

What a garbage site.
I've tweeted nothing today, and I am somehow at my limit. Clearly a glitch.
According to folks in the tech circles I follow, apparently when Twitter shut down the API as they'd announced earlier this week, they didn't realize that first-party tweeting was also through said API. 🫠 Race to the bottom it seems...

TP2000

You wonder how the 7,000 layoffs announced today will impact the parks? Or maybe they won't touch the parks at all?

During the 2009 layoffs, Disneyland got rid of about 500 salaried folks, and Disney World laid off 1,400. But the '09 layoffs companywide were only half as big as the 7,000 announced today.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Moon Girl coming to DCA for a limited time beginning February 15th -

FoiosYuXoAAFwqS.jpeg

"For a limited time beginning Feb. 15 at Hollywood Land in Disney California Adventure park, you can encounter and interact with Moon Girl from the newest Disney series “Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur,” which debuts on Feb. 10 on Disney Channel and Feb. 15 on Disney+. The series follows the adventures of 13-year-old super-genius Lunella Lafayette (aka Moon Girl) and her 10-ton T-Rex, Devil Dinosaur, whom she accidentally brings into present-day New York City. The duo works together to protect the Lower East Side neighborhood in New York City from danger.

When Moon Girl lands in Disney California Adventure park on Feb. 15, guests can catch her in a special one-day only entertainment celebration, including a cavalcade on Hollywood Blvd, and stage show on the Hollywood Backlot Stage, but don’t worry, she’ll stay around for a little while! "

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom