The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

PiratesMansion

I never thought I’d say this about anything coming from Red Rose Taverne but the “gourmet breakfast sandwich” I had this morning was very good. Maple butter spread, bacon, Muenster cheese and crème fraiche egg on a toasted English muffin. Had it last week and thought it was just ok but today it was very good.
The poutine flatbread they used to have was amazing, to the point that it became a go-to Disneyland meal for me. Then everything got dumbed down for the park's reopening and it still hasn't returned since. Oh well, at least the grey stuff is still delicious.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Not a huge fan of all the black safety cushion pads they have all over Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. Not aesthetically pleasing.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Disneyland is obviously the better park but why do I feel like I’m in a better mood when I walk into DCA? I think it comes down to 3 things…

1. Walking into BVS with live music (Five n Dime) playing often is delightful.

2. Wider walkways and fewer pinch points = less stress.

3. Less pressure to do stuff. This one is more personal. Usually DCA is my mid afternoon to early evening park. I’ve already done some rides at Disneyland. Less options = less stress too. Kind of like old school cable vs 15 streaming platforms where I watch nothing. I feel like I have less of an agenda at DCA and I’m just more present.

Rich T

Disneyland is obviously the better park but why do I feel like I’m in a better mood when I walk into DCA? I think it comes down to 3 things…

3. Less pressure to do stuff. This one is more personal. Usually DCA is my mid afternoon to early evening park. I’ve already done some rides at Disneyland. Less options = less stress too. Kind of like old school cable vs 15 streaming platforms where I watch nothing. I feel like I have less of an agenda at DCA and I’m just more present.
Fewer adults acting like children in all the wrong ways. Fewer classic attractions being ruined/mishandled. A feeling that one is stepping into a work in progress with many possibilities for genuine improvement instead of feeling the dread that a beloved classic area is going to get worse. And no rotting PeopleMover tracks.

There are a lot of reasons to get annoyed at the way Disney, to many fans, doesn’t treat DL with the love and care it deserves. At DCA, there’s more of a “What the hell, a lot of this is stupid, but it’s still a pretty fun park” atmosphere.

Rich T

Not a huge fan of all the black safety cushion pads they have all over Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. Not aesthetically pleasing.
I can see this area being demolished in the near future. Hopefully for a U.S. adaptation of Mystic Manor (my pipe dream—who am I kidding—if a Mystic Manor type ride comes to the U.S. it’s probably going to be rethemed to Encanto).

mickEblu

Original Poster
I can see this area being demolished in the near future. Hopefully for a U.S. adaptation of Mystic Manor (my pipe dream—who am I kidding—if a Mystic Manor type ride comes to the U.S. it’s probably going to be rethemed to Encanto).

I used to always sacrifice the Challenge trail in arm chair imagineering exercises but now that I have young kids i don’t find it to be so expendable. First off, it’s very well done for what it is. In fact, I enjoy it more than TSI in its ultra lawyered state with everything blocked off. TSI is the more interesting/ beautiful space but Red Wolf Creek is more fun and also beautiful. It’s a great place for the kids to blow off some steam and I doubt whatever they build would blend in as nicely with the hotel. With all of that said, if you put some plans with the right attraction on my desk I’m not sure I’d say No.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
“What the hell, a lot of this is stupid, but it’s still a pretty fun park” atmosphere.

This really resonates with me. DCA has good energy. All of those outdoor rides/ flat rides provide a good amount of kinetic energy. At DL the best comparison would be Fantasyland but it’s just so cramped. At DCA they re scattered across a good majority of the park along the main walkways. With all of this said, DCAs sweet spot for me is being Disneylands sister park that I hop to for a few hours. I find myself kind of bored if I’m stuck there for the day.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Since I assume this is your first Disney cruise you are at the back of the line to book behind Silver, gold , etc cruisers (loyalty status) who get to book a day or more in advance for everything. I would keep checking as cancellations do happen. Worst case once you board ship go straight to guest services (or defined location) to see about snagging a palo reservation or get on waiting list. We did island tour ending in cane garden bay beach through Disney and it was fun , couldn’t advise on independent operators but I’m sure there are some reputable ones out there

Funny you mention Cane Garden Bay. That was the original choice for Tortola. Just sounds like a lot less work with the kids and we may very well end up doing that. Jost Van Di(e)ke just feels like you’re crossing a bigger attraction off the list.

Yes this is my first Disney cruise. Thanks, I’ll try my luck when I get on board for Palo and hopefully an excursion too.

mickEblu

Original Poster

100%. Encanto killed whatever tiny chance existed of Mystic Manor ever being cloned here.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I just put Emperors New Groove on for my son for the first time. I myself have only seen it once. Anyway, I prefer computer animation to most of the hand drawn animation from the 2000s. It all just comes across like Disney Afternoon quality. I’m not sure if these were design choices or new processes to cut costs but it definitely makes the transition to computer animation feel less bothersome.

PiratesMansion

I think for me what it comes down to is that DCA is a more comfortable, spacious environment to be in and sometimes that's just easier and less stressful. I love Disneyland, and it's the main reason I go, but so often it can be ridiculous just to move around because the walkways simply were not designed for how many people want to be in that park. When I bring people with me to Disneyland, I caution them that while Disneyland is great, at least once a day it will feel like Times Square on NYE. I've had to shove family members into emergency Tiki Room showings to avoid crowds/anxiety/stress meltdowns. DCA is not nearly as good of a park, but it's so much easier to breathe, and sometimes that's what you need. In that way, it can be a more pleasant visit than DL.

Fewer adults acting like children in all the wrong ways. Fewer classic attractions being ruined/mishandled. A feeling that one is stepping into a work in progress with many possibilities for genuine improvement instead of feeling the dread that a beloved classic area is going to get worse. And no rotting PeopleMover tracks.

There are a lot of reasons to get annoyed at the way Disney, to many fans, doesn’t treat DL with the love and care it deserves. At DCA, there’s more of a “What the hell, a lot of this is stupid, but it’s still a pretty fun park” atmosphere.
This might be reflective of my age and/or when I started frequently going to the parks, but I actually get MORE irritated by the way so many things that were just fine at DCA only a decade ago have been downgraded, particularly Soarin', Screamin', and the Pier, but even things like the Animation area with the full walkthrough and the zoetrope, the way I used to be able to reliably find decent Disney theme park books at Off the Page, A Bug's Land, the 3D shows, The Hyperion shows (eventually they'll put something there, but as the theater's still empty now...), Monsters Inc not having FastPass/Genie and being something you could reliably do in 15 minutes-I miss all of those things. A lot. There have been changes I've seen at Disneyland in that time that I don't care for (still not happy about the auction scene, for example), but nothing to the level where the attraction or area has been ruined or permanently tarnished in my estimation. When it comes to Disneyland Park itself, I'm more upset about post-2020 food option reductions than anything that's been done to the attractions or atmosphere, all of which feels pretty well intact to me.

At Disneyland, while there are definitely missteps and things that could be better, it feels like there are still people who are trying, on some level, to maintain the legacy and integrity of the place. At DCA, it just feels like 2016 hit and they collectively and instantaneously decided "lol whatevz SHOVE IN THE IP Y'ALL!!!111!1" and let 'er rip. The park was never on Disneyland's level, but in 2015 it was a pleasant, cohesive place to be that seemed to be actually trying to become something better. Now it just makes me sad.

I just put Emperors New Groove on for my son for the first time. I myself have only seen it once. Anyway, I prefer computer animation to most of the hand drawn animation from the 2000s. It all just comes across like Disney Afternoon quality. I’m not sure if these were design choices or new processes to cut costs but it definitely makes the transition to computer animation feel less bothersome.
Maybe it's the open canvas software? It works well in Tarzan, but most of the traditionally animated films released after that (at least through Home on the Range) just have a look that feels fake, airbrushed, or like it's somewhere halfway between full hand-drawn animation and full computer animation. Emperor's and Stitch have always looked fine to me, but the rest of them feel indescribably off.

Last edited:

DrAlice

At Disneyland, while there are definitely missteps and things that could be better, it feels like there are still people who are trying, on some level, to maintain the legacy and integrity of the place. At DCA, it just feels like 2016 hit and they collectively and instantaneously decided "lol whatevz SHOVE IN THE IP Y'ALL!!!111!1" and let 'er rip. The park was never on Disneyland's level, but in 2015 it was a pleasant, cohesive place to be that seemed to be actually trying to become something better. Now it just makes me sad.
The more I've been reading/thinking about the San Fransokyo re-theme of Pacific Wharf, the more I've begun to hate it. I couldn't quite articulate why it was bothering me so much. You've just nailed it. I've been a fan of DCA for a long time, for a lot of the reasons already stated above. With the changes of DCA Ver 2.0, it really seemed to be growing into its potential. And now it's going backward. It makes me sad too. :(

mickEblu

Original Poster
The more I've been reading/thinking about the San Fransokyo re-theme of Pacific Wharf, the more I've begun to hate it. I couldn't quite articulate why it was bothering me so much. You've just nailed it. I've been a fan of DCA for a long time, for a lot of the reasons already stated above. With the changes of DCA Ver 2.0, it really seemed to be growing into its potential. And now it's going backward. It makes me sad too. :(

It’s been going backward since the TOT retheme in 2017. Some things are just more personal to certain people. So now I’m just in “don’t mess up Disneyland mode.” Oh Avatar doesn’t make sense in DCA? That’s fine just don’t decimate the entire eastern part of DL for it. Plus there are already plenty of things that don’t make sense at DCA. So now I’m perfectly content settling for an aesthetically pleasing DCA with a strong roster of attractions. It’s accomplished the former for the most part excluding Mission Breakout/ the backlot but it still could use a few more solid attractions.

Last edited:

Rich T

It’s been going backward since the TOT retheme in 2017. Some things are just more personal to certain people. So now I’m just in “don’t mess up Disneyland mode.” Oh Avatar doesn’t make sense in DCA? That’s fine just don’t decimate the entire eastern part of DL for it. Plus there are already plenty of things that don’t make sense at DCA. So now I’m perfectly content settling for an aesthetically pleasing DCA with strong roster of attractions. It’s accomplished the former for the most part excluding Mission Breakout/ the backlot but it still could use a few more solid attractions.
Also, now that I’ve had a chance to spend ample time at the WDW parks, I can say I think DCA, as big a thematic mess as it is, is more fun than Disney Hollywood Studios or current what-the-hell-am-I-anyway Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom