The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

CaptinEO

Without spoilers, this show actually tries to explain what has happened to Boba Fett after ROTJ and why he didn't want to be a bounty hunter anymore. If you wanted to watch a guy in mandalorian armor just going around and kicking butt, we had 2 seasons of that show already, with more seasons to come. And Boba Fett does kick butt throughout this series if you give it a chance.

I have to agree that Disney has allowed other writers and directors to destroy characters in the sequel trilogy, but I don't really see that happening here. Boba Fett in the Prequel and OT was a very cool, one-dimensional character much like Darth Maul. And both of those characters got more story time in the clone wars cartoon. In TESB we saw Boba's ship hide in trash, he ate dinner with a helmet on and talked back to Vader. In ROTJ we saw him kill...nobody...as he got his butt handed to him by Luke and his jetpack malfunctioned when a blind Han Solo took him out in a terrible slapstick moment. He was nothing more to Lucas' storyline than a means to sell toys, and now he has a full story. You don't have to like this new story, but his character wasn't ruined because there was nothing there before Disney+.
You are describing exactly why Boba Fett was cool in how he was originally portrayed as well as what I did want to see, him kicking butt and being cool and mysterious.

I don't want to see a cool side character turned into a boring old man. Giving a character a story doesn't have to mean you betray the intentions of the character.

If anything it further proves that not every one off side character needs to have a TV Series or Side Film as they already played their role in the story of Star Wars just fine.

Last edited:

truecoat

You are describing exactly why Boba Fett was cool in how he was originally portrayed as well as what I did want to see, him kicking butt and being cool and mysterious.

I don't want to see a cool side character turned into a boring old man. Giving a character a story doesn't have to mean you betray the intentions of the character.

If anything it further proves that not every one off side character needs to have a TV Series or Side Film as they already played their role in the story of Star Wars just fine.

I thought it was a great transition of a loner who finally found a sense of family or belonging in the Tuskens. He spent what, 4-5 years with them? That alone could change a guy who spent his whole life alone after his "dad" died.

truecoat

There were plenty of passenger rail systems in the mid 20th century, but they quickly began to become unprofitable after World War II. Most of the railroads only kept up their passenger trains out of pride and for publicity; Santa Fe's Super Chief, Western Pacific's California Zephyr, or Burlington Northern's Empire Builder come to mind. The private urban rail systems built in the early 20th century in the big cities were rather quickly turned into state-owned enterprises at the same time, and many of those urban/suburban lines were shut down because they were so hopelessly unprofitable even with increasing government subsidies in the 1960's.

Steering this back OT, as a rail fan myself I've been fascinated to watch the Brightline railroad being built and expanded in Florida. It's the first private, intercity passenger rail system built in this country in over 100 years! It starts it's service from Miami Beach to Orlando's airport later this year. The trains get up to 125mph in spots, especially once the trains get out of Miami.

Also, here's a tale of warning for cities waiting for California's high speed rail that will never actually open now. Anaheim spent $185 Million because it just had to have the overbuilt and glitzy ARTIC, with the expectation that it would have 3,000 train passengers (Amtrak and Metrolink combined) using it per day in 2013 and then at least doubling to 6,000 to 8,000 daily passengers once the California High Speed Rail arrived in Anaheim by 2022.

The reality since ARTIC opened in 2014 has been starkly different than the rosy projections from "experts".

ARTIC Daily Passenger Estimates Vs. Reality
2009 Anaheim City Estimates For 2014 Daily Train Ridership = 3,000
2015 Daily Train Ridership = 856
2017 Daily Train Ridership = 1,347
2021 Daily Train Ridership = 196

I saw the line first hand last week on my way to a cruise at Port Canaveral. It's coming along pretty well and I assume they'll lay down the rails some time this year for this part of the line.

lazyboy97o

I thought it was a great transition of a loner who finally found a sense of family or belonging in the Tuskens. He spent what, 4-5 years with them? That alone could change a guy who spent his whole life alone after his "dad" died.
I get his attachment to the Tuskens but not Mos Espa, which the Tuskens see as a colony of invaders.

TP2000

Oh, and before I forget. A shout out to WDW and the 4th anniversary of Tron construction. Happy anniversary!

What do you buy someone for the 4th construction anniversary? Is it upcharges?

According to my Hallmark gift guide I keep in the den, the 4th Anniversary gift can be either "Fruit/Flowers (Traditional)" or "Small Appliances (Modern)".

You could easily go the Modern route and get them a toaster oven for the break room, but I think the guys working on the site would more enjoy a fruit basket. Maybe from Harry & David?

truecoat

According to my Hallmark gift guide I keep in the den, the 4th Anniversary gift can be either "Fruit/Flowers (Traditional)" or "Small Appliances (Modern)".

You could easily go the Modern route and get them a toaster, but I think the guys working on the site would actually enjoy a fruit basket. Maybe from Harry & David?

What about $10 off admission (M-Thurs)?

TP2000

What about $10 off admission (M-Thurs)?

Well, scanning the Hallmark guide again, there's not even a Modern anniversary gift at any year that comes close to that.

(And I never noticed that the Modern 8th anniversary gift is now "lace garments" with a little icon of ladies underthings, which apparently is a way for the couple to celebrate surviving the Seven Year Itch. ;))

Hallmark is no use on admission discounts. I think you should order a Harry & David gift basket for the crew.

And may I say that I will never get over how odd and discordant it will be to have Tron's circa 2010's Modern architecture next to Space Mountain's 1970's Modern architecture! I hope to God that Covid froze whatever plans Chapek may have had for attempting the same gimmick on Disneyland's submarine lagoon. Can you imagine that monstrosity wedged between Space Mountain and the Matterhorn?!?

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I get his attachment to the Tuskens but not Mos Espa, which the Tuskens see as a colony of invaders.
We see in both the re-added Jabba the Hut scene in ANH and ROTJ that Boba Fett was attached to Jabba in some way, perhaps Fett predominately did bounty work for Jabba or was incorporated in some way to his organization. I'm guessing the latter. Fett more than likely felt that he should have been next in line in the event Jabba died (or perhaps off screen that arrangement was already made), but Fett falling into Sarlacc upset that and Bib Fortuna assumed control.

Mos Espa was Jabba's territory. His ending up for 5 years with the Tuskens altered his perception of how Mos Espa should be goverened, with respect, not tyranny. I believe that perception changed because of his time with the Tuskens and why those flashbacks were important to the present day. Eventually, Fett came back and killed Fortuna and took the throne.

We don't know how long Fett worked for Jabba. He was part of an organization that Lorded over Mos Espa for many years. That's where his attachment to it lies. He now has a chance to rule it in a way that leaves the Tuskens alone.

mlayton144

Well, scanning the Hallmark guide again, there's not even a Modern anniversary gift at any year that comes close to that.

(And I never noticed that the Modern 8th anniversary gift is now "lace garments" with a little icon of ladies underthings, which apparently is a way for the couple to celebrate surviving the Seven Year Itch. ;))

Hallmark is no use on admission discounts. I think you should order a Harry & David gift basket for the crew.

And may I say that I will never get over how odd and discordant it will be to have Tron's circa 2010's Modern architecture next to Space Mountain's 1970's Modern architecture! I hope to God that Covid froze whatever plans Chapek may have had for attempting the same gimmick on Disneyland's submarine lagoon. Can you imagine that monstrosity wedged between Space Mountain and the Matterhorn?!?

i think it fits quite well - how well do the Nemo subs, autopia, and a distant Swiss mountain fit in with 1970s space mountain ?

Dear Prudence

You could easily go the Modern route and get them a toaster oven for the break room, but I think the guys working on the site would more enjoy a fruit basket. Maybe from Harry & David?
*whispers* I can't believe there are people who even remember anniversaries every year, because I am definitely not one of those people. o_O :angelic:

TP2000

i think it fits quite well - how well do the Nemo subs, autopia, and a distant Swiss mountain fit in with 1970s space mountain ?

Not at all. That's the beauty of Disneyland. Yellow submarines circling a tropical lagoon on the shores of an icy Swiss mountain alongside a California mini-freeway, set against a 1970's SciFi mountain as a backdrop. No problem! I love it! Take my money!

But this?!? This looks really tacky and dumb in my opinion. :cool:

tmk029348029348203948234fi-1024x576.jpg

No Name

It was only 15 years ago that Disney insisted on giving Ryan a girlfriend in the High School Musical films instead of allowing him (or Chad, or any character) to be openly gay. I’m both grateful things have changed and appalled that it’s taken so long.

Centauri Space Station

Not at all. That's the beauty of Disneyland. Yellow submarines circling a tropical lagoon on the shores of an icy Swiss mountain alongside a California mini-freeway, set against a 1970's SciFi mountain as a backdrop. No problem! I love it! Take my money!

But this?!? This looks really tacky and dumb in my opinion. :cool:

tmk029348029348203948234fi-1024x576.jpg
Tacky? Idk about that, redundant sure but both fit the theme

TP2000

Tacky? Idk about that, redundant sure but both fit the theme

Well, you're probably right that "tacky" isn't the right word.

But neither one speaks to each other architecturally. And yet they are similar enough to seem like second cousins separated by about 50 years of cultural change. So you can't even pretend it's fun and wacky and blame Walt.

It's just... dumb. I need more time to think of the right word. But you have a valid point that "tacky" isn't it.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well, you're probably right that "tacky" isn't the right word.

But neither one speaks to each other architecturally. And yet they are similar enough to seem like second cousins separated by about 50 years of cultural change. So you can't even pretend it's fun and wacky and blame Walt.

It's just... dumb. I need more time to think of the right word. But you have a valid point that "tacky" isn't it.

It’s bad design. Crowded. Congested. One big weenie next to another one that was the focal point of the land. It makes the land feel more like a collection of rides instead of a themed environment that has rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom