The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

waltography

Villain-Con Minion Blast is in technical rehearsal over in Universal Orlando. Great queue, odd concept, but glad they took a chance on it if only because it feels unique. Looks like it's experiencing latency issues with how many people are shooting at the screens, and I'm still not sold on the conveyer belt idea as it just feels like Astro Blasters without the ride vehicle. Cool tech though.

Queue begins at 7:14 in the video below, game begins at 10:57.

tcool123

Villain-Con Minion Blast is in technical rehearsal over in Universal Orlando. Great queue, odd concept, but glad they took a chance on it if only because it feels unique. Looks like it's experiencing latency issues with how many people are shooting at the screens, and I'm still not sold on the conveyer belt idea as it just feels like Astro Blasters without the ride vehicle. Cool tech though.

Excited to experience it myself when I'm back in Orlando this August.

MoonRakerSCM

Curious concept... I wonder what the capacity is?

STAY ON YOUR DOT!!!!

1689462822294.png

Consumer

This might be stupidest idea for a ride I've ever seen.

PiratesMansion

I don't remember seeing a ton about this here, but this evening I went to the Burbank Town Center to peruse this guy's massive (mostly) Disneyland collection that's all going up for auction on Monday. It was a stunning collection of signage, attraction posters, ride vehicles, animatronics, and just about everything you might want/expect to be there. It honestly was more satisfying than several actual Disney exhibitions I've attended over the years. There was a sizeable crowd and palpable interest and enthusiasm, with some people even dressing as you might expect in park-themed outfits.

If you're local and can get down there for the last day tomorrow, I can't recommend this enough. You enter outside the mall near the Cost Plus and West parking garage. 11-7 tomorrow and after that, it's all up for auction.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Maybe some of it is from people mad about new things, but I wonder if some of the dislikes came from the fact that Universal was VERY explicit that no video was to be taken of the new ride, and this person did anyway. Some people were big mad about it on Twitter.
If I would have also circled the closed caption text too would the joke not have flown as far over you head? I wasn't trying to imply the thumbs downs were due to the ride sucking (though it really does and I'm sure some of the dislikes reflect that) but I stopped the video at that location to point out the irony in him begging for thumbs up and people doing the opposite. I thought that was funny.

waltography

If I would have also circled the closed caption text too would the joke not have flown as far over you head? I wasn't trying to imply the thumbs downs were due to the ride sucking (though it really does and I'm sure some of the dislikes reflect that) but I stopped the video at that location to point out the irony in him begging for thumbs up and people doing the opposite. I thought that was funny.
I don't think PiratesMansion was being antagonistic or obtuse, just adding some additional context for people who might be wondering why the ratio is that way.

PiratesMansion

Wow.

I really was just replying with my thoughts but ok, go off.

I'm sure I had it coming.

Rich T

This might be stupidest idea for a ride I've ever seen.
It’s actually incredibly fun (I wrote a review on the Universal thread). “Rode” it six times yesterday. The theming is wonderful, the writing and humor are top-notch, the tech is fascinating and the game is fun. And the line moves quickly, which is great for trying to top one’s score. It’s a high-capacity, family-friendly, no-height requirement attraction that the park desperately needed. It’s a great “filler” attraction.

Last edited:

Rich T

Lol this looks....ok at best imo.
It’s a good time. I think all park and animation fans will find a lot to love about the brilliant queue, and the “ride” itself is a solid B-tier filler attraction. Nothing worth planning a vacation around, but a great little addition to the park (with a very fast-moving line).

mickEblu

Original Poster
It’s a good time. I think all park and animation fans will find a lot to love about the brilliant queue, and the “ride” itself is a solid B-tier filler attraction. Nothing worth planning a vacation around, but a great little addition to the park (with a very fast-moving line).

What’s up with this industry trend of brilliant queues leading to lackluster rides? I much prefer the other way. Give me a POTC queue with a POTC ride please.

Rich T

What’s up with this industry trend of brilliant queues leading to lackluster rides? I much prefer the other way. Give me a POTC queue with a POTC ride please.
Well, yes, in a perfect world, great E-Ticket rides would open every year. But this is the Universal Equivalent of a nice little C/D ticket filler Ride. It replaced Shrek 4D and is 100x more re-rideable than that experience. It’s a fun plus for the park, and completes the little Minion area nicely.

The thing I love most about the queue is that the team created an amazing room that (minus the expensive animation going on) looks like it was done on a reasonable budget; all the charm and fun is in the writing, the graphic design, and originality. It feels fresh.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well, yes, in a perfect world, great E-Ticket rides would open every year. But this is the Universal Equivalent of nice little C/D ticket filler Ride. It replaced Shrek 4D and is 100x more re-rideable than that experience. It’s a fun plus for the park, and completes the little Minion area nicely.

The thing I love most about the queue is that the team created an amazing room that (minus the expensive animation going on) looks like it was done on a reasonable budget; all the charm and fun is in the writing, the graphic design, and originality. It feels fresh.

Oh I’m sure it’s a nice addition. Just using it as a springboard to voice my displeasure with this industry trend. Its anticlimactic. To be fair I’m not sure if can be avoided with C tickets. While it would be nice for a C ticket to not lead to E ticket expectations, would we really rather wait in a boring queue for 45 minutes? A C ticket with a Pinocchios Daring journey queue isn’t realistic with todays crowds. So let’s just say my beef is more with E ticket queues being better than the ride they lead to.

Rich T

Oh I’m sure it’s a nice addition. Just using it as a springboard to voice my displeasure with this industry trend. Its anticlimactic. To be fair I’m not sure if can be avoided with C tickets. While it would be nice for a C ticket to not lead to E ticket expectations, would we really rather wait in a boring queue for 45 minutes? A C ticket with a Pinocchios Daring journey queue isn’t realistic with todays crowds. So let’s just say my beef is more with E ticket queues being better than the ride they lead to.
I agree. For me, what saves Villain Con is what a great crowd-eater it is. I rode it six times yesterday, the line was always very long, and I never waited more than 15 minutes. And the “ride” is decently lengthy. The game duration and pacing seem perfect. It’s a case where you can just hop in line any time of day and get a fun little experience that’s worth the short time in line. In a good way, not a DL Pooh way.

Consumer

It’s actually incredibly fun (I wrote a review on the Universal thread). “Rode” it six times yesterday. The theming is wonderful, the writing and humor are top-notch, the tech is fascinating and the game is fun. And the line moves quickly, which is great for trying to top one’s score. It’s a high-capacity, family-friendly, no-height requirement attraction that the park desperately needed. It’s a great “filler” attraction.
You can say that all you want, but I cannot fathom spending over $100 on a theme park just to stand on a conveyer belt in front of TV screens. If this was a side attraction in City Walk, I'd be far less critical.

Rich T

You can say that all you want, but I cannot fathom spending over $100 on a theme park just to stand on a conveyer belt in front of TV screens. If this was a side attraction in City Walk, I'd be far less critical.
But you’re not spending $100 just for that one little ride. Come on, you wouldn’t spend $100 for Mr. Toad, Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Thru or Buzz Lightyear either, but they all help round out a day.

Villain Con certainly isn’t a reason to go to Universal, but it’s a big plus for a full day at the park and much better than the attraction it replaced. It’s a filler, and it’s beautifully done.

And, as someone who loves kooky tech, I gotta say that the Villain Con moving walkway, as twisty and turny as the Mr. Toad track layout, is the coolest conveyor belt on the planet. 😃 And if you like target-blasting attractions at all, this one’s the best yet.

Last edited:

Consumer

But you’re not spending $100 just for that one little ride. Come on, you wouldn’t spend $100 for Mr. Toad, Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Thru or Buzz Lightyear either, but they all help found out a day.

Villain Con certainly isn’t a reason to go to Universal, but it’s a big plus for a full day at the park and much better than the attraction it replaced. It’s a filler, and it’s beautifully done.

And, as someone who loves kooky tech, I gotta say that the Villain Con moving walkway, as twisty and turny as the Mr. Toad track layout, is the coolest conveyor belt on the planet. 😃 And if you like target-blasting games at all, this one’s the best yet.
The benefit of Buzz is that I get to sit down in the AC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom