The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

CaptinEO

Walt absolutely was going for immersion. He insisted on all sorts of authentic elements. This idea here that immersion is something new and different is just bonkers nonsense. Disneyland has always been about immersion into different story environments, that’s what makes it a theme park.
I 100% disagree. Walt was about authenticity, hospitality, and showmanship. He would never inconvenience guests by for example having Tommorowland employees ignore guest questions because they are from the future (a very real thing that happened with Galaxy's Edge).

Walt had Peter Pan, Mr Toad, and Alice in Wonderland from Britian inside big circus tents with Snow White from Germany and Dumbo from America nearby along with a pirate ship. He wasn't going for immersion but fun theming.

Consumer

Walt absolutely was going for immersion. He insisted on all sorts of authentic elements. This idea here that immersion is something new and different is just bonkers nonsense. Disneyland has always been about immersion into different story environments, that’s what makes it a theme park.
Is that why the Mark Twain has Disneyland, USA written on it?

CaptinEO

Is that why the Mark Twain has Disneyland, USA written on it?
Or why an 1800s train travels in time through Tommorowland (back to the future should sue) and then back to the prehistoric era?

Modern Disney would certainly be too far up their own about storytelling and realism to have anything as fun and exciting/varied as the Disneyland Railroad. They'd need some crazy overexplained storyline and would have to tie it to a movie.

"Recruits! Tony Stark has stolen the time stones and we need you to get them back! Quick! Get onto this time traveling train designed by Peter Parker to go through Dr Strange's Portals and get them back!"

Rich T

Walt had Peter Pan, Mr Toad, and Alice in Wonderland from Britian inside big circus tents with Snow White from Germany and Dumbo from America nearby along with a pirate ship. He wasn't going for immersion but fun theming.
Original Fantasyland looked that way because they ran out of money. They improvised a cheap solution, but apparently it was something Walt wanted to address at some point, (to make it look like a village), but then the World’s Fair project directed his priorities elsewhere.

Alice never had the medieval tournament entry the other dark rides shared; Alice always had the unique giant Mary Blair garden; just with more track and no real trees (it was extremely drought friendly!) I wuz there. 😃

Phroobar

The Star Speeder 1000 has a Flux Capacitor which explains the random time travel.

gff.jpg

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I 100% disagree. Walt was about authenticity, hospitality, and showmanship. He would never inconvenience guests by for example having Tommorowland employees ignore guest questions because they are from the future (a very real thing that happened with Galaxy's Edge).

Immersion and theming go together. They are essentially one and the same. It’s what distinguishes themed experience from themed decor. You’re not just putting up items with some relation, you’re building out an enter experience that people, in which they are immersed. None of the poor design choices of Galaxy’s Edge from ignoring questions to the lack non-diegetic music are inherent pillars of immersion.

Thought I'd pop in here just to give my opinions on a few things... if anyone is interested
Went to Disneyland this past Sunday for the first time since 2017 and had a few thoughts:

1. Star Wars Land is impressive in scale and detail but lacks substance. Liked the reveals of the different areas of the land as you walk through the paths. Thought MF was junky and not worth the amount of space dedicated to it. RotR is excellent but almost impossible to ride. It went down 5 or 6 times throughout the day. I think paying $20 for an attraction's Fastpass is so dumb and clearly price gouging. We were able to ride twice and skip the line because of our friends but I would not have ridden without them. Great ride though and really enjoyed the story and buildup to the climax with the Adam Driver AA.

2. Avenger's Campus is a bizarre waste of space. Bugs Land was not my speed but the design was cute and charming. Nothing in Avenger's is the right scale- large buildings with nothing in them, Doctor Strange garden with nothing in it, large Pym restaurant with no indoor seating, large Spiderman showbuilding you have to make a u-turn to get to the ride entrance... just bizarre use of space. Actually enjoyed the Spiderman ride quite a bit- I think it's a really effective next-generation of Midway Mania. Great idea to actually do the physical motion Spiderman does- enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Last time I went to Disneyland I rode Gotg so I skipped this time but I love the update to the ride, loathe the design. Looks like garbage and still doesn't fit with Avenger's Campus.

3. Pixar Pier was cute. No the theme makes no logical sense whatsoever but I actually enjoyed the aesthetic upgrades. Not everything has to be a total complete "story" and I appreciate the cuteness factor here. It's a great area for familys, nice use of color, glad they were able to get a few more Victorian aesthetic details. Incredicoaster is silly but I actually like that this area doesn't take itself too seriously. Could it be better executed? Definitely. Is it fun? I think so.

4. Walking around the parks are in good shape and I didn't notice too many maintenance issues. The attractions are another story. At one point on Sunday RotR, Space, Indy, Pirates, and Big Thunder were down. Multiple AAs on every attraction not working (Jungle Cruise seemed to have a power outage where multiple show scenes were down, Splash is a disaster with half its AAs not working/lighting is jacked up, Indy multiple effects not working.) Fantasmic was spotty with the side fountains not operating correctly and the mist screens having some trouble. Just a mess.

5. I still don't understand the whole Genie/Lightning Lane/upcharge system. We didn't buy it but I went with people who were trying to explain it and it's just so convoluted. I don't understand how an average layperson could possible figure out all the new rules they have for everything. Some restaurants are mobile order and some aren't, cant park hop right away, Genie Lightning Lane works for some rides and not others- have to pay more. Just ridiculous why does it have to be so complicated? Also they are clearly over-inflating ride times to sell the Genie thing. Talked to some people who got in line for RotR at a 65 posted wait and they said they got through in 35 minutes. Same with Space Mountain, we got in line at a 40 minute wait and got through the line in 15 minutes early afternoon. Dumb.

6. Love seeing all the updates to classic attractions. The scary Snow White version was one of my favorites in the park but loved the new update- great use of effects and space to better tell that story. Jungle Cruise updates are cute and seamless. Pirates Auction scene has terrible writing I couldn't believe how stupid, but the rest of the attraction has never looked better (and glad to have the voices in the cave back!)

7. They need to just bite the bullet and start selling alcohol in Disneyland Park.

Obviously I'm a Disney parks fan (I'm on here) but I haven't had the urge to go in awhile and I'm feeling the same after this visit. It'll probably be another 5 years at least for me but glad I got to see all the new stuff over the past few years. Not sure the parks are really my speed anymore with the large crowds, Star Wars/Marvel focused additions, reliance on pre-planning/scheduling. Thanks for reading- truly all my miscellaneous thoughts.

Dear Prudence

2. Avenger's Campus is a bizarre waste of space. Bugs Land was not my speed but the design was cute and charming. Nothing in Avenger's is the right scale- large buildings with nothing in them, Doctor Strange garden with nothing in it, large Pym restaurant with no indoor seating, large Spiderman showbuilding you have to make a u-turn to get to the ride entrance... just bizarre use of space. Actually enjoyed the Spiderman ride quite a bit- I think it's a really effective next-generation of Midway Mania. Great idea to actually do the physical motion Spiderman does- enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Last time I went to Disneyland I rode Gotg so I skipped this time but I love the update to the ride, loathe the design. Looks like garbage and still doesn't fit with Avenger's Campus.
AC is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen in my life and I cannot believe that much real estate is wasted.

CaptinEO

Immersion and theming go together. They are essentially one and the same. It’s what distinguishes themed experience from themed decor. You’re not just putting up items with some relation, you’re building out an enter experience that people, in which they are immersed. None of the poor design choices of Galaxy’s Edge from ignoring questions to the lack non-diegetic music are inherent pillars of immersion.
That's a good point. You can be immersed in a theme and environment without it being taken too seriously or over the top.

I think when I say "immersion" on this board I think of current Disney's idea of immersion which is VERY over the top and puts focus on the wrong things.

But you are correct, you can have immersion without these weird poorly done elements and decisions.

Rich T

I just found out my favorite instrumental piece of theme park music (From The Land’s ambient loop at Epcot) is actually just the theme from the movie Prince of Tides.

Sure it’s still a great theme… but now it comes with the mental image of that sappy movie poster. Bummer! 😃

Dear Prudence

OK, I’ll no longer argue in favor of real grass. Droughts are serious.

BUT, if Disney REALLY wants to show they care, they need to shut down World of Color. Pronto.
I feel like I am the only person who does not like World of Color. I think it's boring and shows Mufasa's death for literally no reason.

Rich T

I feel like I am the only person who does not like World of Color. I think it's boring and shows Mufasa's death for literally no reason.
You’re not alone. I can’t stand World of Color. It’s pretty, but it’s cold, robotic and empty. It plays like one long clip-show ad for Disney+.

The live performers in Fantasmic make all the difference in the world.

Phroobar

You’re not alone. I can’t stand World of Color. It’s pretty, but it’s cold, robotic and empty. It plays like one long clip-show ad for Disney+.

We used to come down to the Disneyland Hotel as kids to just watch the Fantasy Waters show. Where else could you hear Michael Jackson sing a song from Captain EO with choreographed water fountains. They should have never gotten rid of it.

mlayton144

That , plus the stupid Ferris wheel in the background that has no place at any Disney theme park

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom