The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Phroobar

Nah. I’d go with the even more obvious answer of poor Disney IT. Which seems likely since a bunch showed up as bookable soon after.
Being in IT myself, I seriously question Disney's IT management. My guess is everything is outsourced to India and poorly tested. I bet there is no internal documentation on the process flow. They always seem to underestimate the number of servers they need.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Can we talk about how cool it is that we have this guy in our Fantasyland and how this would never be built today? Villains don’t even make it onto the actual rides these days. Let alone built as a major icon in a land made “for kids.” Another reason it wouldn’t be built today is because it’s just whimsical and doesn’t necessarily “make sense” which makes it classic Disneyland.

AE3A0638-EDB3-44F6-A371-B2BF6CFD5AC6.jpeg

Brer Panther

Can we talk about how cool it is that we have this guy in our Fantasyland and how this would never be built today? Villains don’t even make it onto the actual rides these days. Let alone built as a major icon in a land made “for kids.” Another reason it wouldn’t be built today is because it’s just whimsical and doesn’t necessarily “make sense” which makes it classic Disneyland.

View attachment 609378
I don't think Storybookland Canal Boats in of itself would be built today. Iger and Chapek would probably brush it off as "boring" or whatever.

brb1006

Buy the DVDs or Blurays. No cable required.

Seconded. Although physical media isn't as readily available in stores as it used to be, I've found Christmas/holiday movies and specials to be the one exception to that rule and they're easy to find this time of year. I'd wager you could find most if not all of them at your average Target, or if all else fails there's always Amazon.
Update: AMC will be airing Rankin/Bass' The Story of the First Christmas Snow, Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey, and The Leprechauns' Christmas Gold tomorrow morning on Christmas Eve. Alongside Rudolph's Shiny New Year, Twas The Night Before Christmas between 5:30am - 11:15am EST. It will be airing alongside Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer (2000) and The Legend of Frosty The Snowman (2005).

They also aired Jack Frost (not the live-action movie) and The Little Drummer, Chapter II yesterday.

Hopefully next year, AMC might have a better airing schedule for these Rankin/Bass specials next year. Especially when they aired during the evening hours which felt so right.

MoonRakerSCM

Co-worker today was talking about possibly going to WDW with her husband. I mentiond how I really enjoy the Food and Wine festival there at Epcot. She then asked how it compares to the DCA food festival here. I told her there is no comparison. The 'festival' and food here sucks compared to Epcot. Epcot due to its massive size is overwhelming with the options, and a lot of it is REALLY good. I was surprised at some of the things we had being so darned tasty. Meanwhile the last time I was at one of the DCA festivals, every food item we had was horrible and the crampt park and booth spacing just made it... bleh.

CaptinEO

Co-worker today was talking about possibly going to WDW with her husband. I mentiond how I really enjoy the Food and Wine festival there at Epcot. She then asked how it compares to the DCA food festival here. I told her there is no comparison. The 'festival' and food here sucks compared to Epcot. Epcot due to its massive size is overwhelming with the options, and a lot of it is REALLY good. I was surprised at some of the things we had being so darned tasty. Meanwhile the last time I was at one of the DCA festivals, every food item we had was horrible and the crampt park and booth spacing just made it... bleh.
DCA food "festival" is a joke. 8 temporary booths blocking a walkway with small portions. Little to no seating.

Epcots has foods from each country. DCA is just random.

mickEblu

Original Poster
DCA food "festival" is a joke. 8 temporary booths blocking a walkway with small portions. Little to no seating.

Epcots has foods from each country. DCA is just random.

And not one food item is memorable. Nothing was downright nasty this year but nothing was great. The roast rolls (without horse radish sauce) were kind of good though. I guess they stated accepting modifications at some point.

CaptinEO

And not one food item is memorable. Nothing was downright nasty this year but nothing was great. The roast rolls (without horse radish sauce) were kind of good though. I guess they stated accepting modifications at some point.
Theyre mostly just OK quality cafeteria food. The pork belly and garlic rice is good but you can make it very cheap and easily at home.

Best item I had there was an horchata churro milkshake which was a few years back.

brb1006

Just got finished watching "The Small One" from 1978 (directed and produced by Don Bluth) on Disney+ a couple hours ago. Was going to watch it before Christmas but never found the perfect time. Since I got Metroid Dread for the Nintendo Switch this Christmas and just begun playing it. I decided to take a short break from the game (seriously this game doesn't mess around) to check out "The Small One" this evening

And... I really loved it! I really loved the short's score and how decently animated the short was. I miss the days when Christmas Specials/Shorts that were set or took place on The Nativity had actual effort put into them. Sony Picture's "The Star" from 2017 pales in comparison to this alongside Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey", Rankin/Bass "The First Christmas Snow", "The Little Drummer Boy" (and it's 1976 sequel), and "The Night The Animals Talked". You don't see modern day Disney making stuff like this nowadays.

mickEblu

Original Poster
So it may be too soon to tell as they just rolled out Genie + but it seems to be having a worse effect on standby waits than fast passes did. I’m guessing that’s because they re letting more Lightning Lane users in relation to standby guests than they were fast passes to standby guests. Fast passes were free so it didn’t matter as much but they need to showcase the value of Genie +. Many of us thought that negative effects on standby waits would be less with a paid form of fastpass as less people would be using it but we didn’t account for Disney changing the ratio of standby to fastpass/ Lightning Lane guests.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

So it may be soon to tell has they just rolled out Genie + but it seems to be having a worse effect on standby waits than fast passes did. I’m guessing that’s because they re letting more Lightning Lane users in relation to standby guests than they were fast passes to standby guests. Fast passes were free so it didn’t matter as much but they need to showcase the value of Genie +. Many of us thought that negative effects on standby waits would be less with a paid form of fastpass as less people would be using it but we didn’t account for Disney changing the ratio of standby to fastpass/ Lightning Lane guests.
Never should have brought back any form of fastpass. Never been a fan. Just let the line move like it uses to do in one steady motion. I don't care if it's a hour and a half wait, as long as I am moving and the queue is cool. Loved waiting in the Indy queue when it opened! Loved discovering all the little traps and such as I waited. Fun. People are too much in a rush these days. Fastpass was always a bad idea.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom