The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

PiratesMansion

Seconded. Although physical media isn't as readily available in stores as it used to be, I've found Christmas/holiday movies and specials to be the one exception to that rule and they're easy to find this time of year. I'd wager you could find most if not all of them at your average Target, or if all else fails there's always Amazon.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I'm aware, but it's not the same as watching them live. :(

Its weird huh. I kind of prefer the old fashioned way of turning on the TV and being surprised by what on. Their are just too many streaming services with so many options. I want a streaming service with an In-N-Out menu. Not Cheesecake Factory. I pretty much have all of them and hardly ever watch anything. Succession is one. Got into it late but not crazy about Season 3. Squid Games was great. The wife and I have seen all 3 seasons of You on Netflix which is also getting repetitive. Occasionally watch parks related content on Disney +. Shang Chi was good. Kids get a lot of mileage out of Disney +

PiratesMansion

I'm aware, but it's not the same as watching them live. :(
I get that to a point, but part of the reason these shows aren't shown as frequently as they once were is that the streamers are gobbling them up...like Apple TV+ with the Peanuts specials. The era where you can dependably find many of these classics annually showing on TV is, unfortunately, coming to an end.

If you want to dependably watch certain specials, there's really no effective alternative to just buying them yourself. Maybe that will change in the years ahead, but it's not looking like it in the near future as more and more cultural touchstones and/or classics are increasingly locked behind paywalls or exclusivity agreements.

Sailor310

Its weird huh. I kind of prefer the old fashioned way of turning on the TV and being surprised by what on. Their are just too many streaming services with so many options. I want a streaming service with an In-N-Out menu. Not Cheesecake Factory. I pretty much have all of them and hardly ever watch anything. Succession is one. Got into it late but not crazy about Season 3. Squid Games was great. The wife and I have seen all 3 seasons of You on Netflix which is also getting repetitive. Occasionally watch parks related content on Disney +. Shang Chi was good. Kids get a lot of mileage out of Disney +
Me, too. Even though I usually record programs and fast forward though commercials, there's some weird comfort that someone's on the other end of the line programming.

I was streaming a series for my folks with my Roku plugged into their dumb tv. My mom didn't get it. "Is the show on tomorrow?" Me: It's streaming! You can watch anytime you want...except you have to be able to change the input on your tv, fire up Roku, download the app for the show into your phone, cast the app from your phone to the show's channel on Roku. Won't happen. I'll have to be there for them to watch their show.

Sailor310

which
I get that to a point, but part of the reason these shows aren't shown as frequently as they once were is that the streamers are gobbling them up...like Apple TV+ with the Peanuts specials. The era where you can dependably find many of these classics annually showing on TV is, unfortunately, coming to an end.

If you want to dependably watch certain specials, there's really no effective alternative to just buying them yourself. Maybe that will change in the years ahead, but it's not looking like it in the near future as more and more cultural touchstones and/or classics are increasingly locked behind paywalls or exclusivity agreements.
Which reminds me. I need to dig out my old "It's Christmas Charlie Brown" dvd. I love having all the music on a USB in my car and the extras on the dvd.

brb1006

Heck, I might watch some of my favorites movies on some streaming services. But when it comes to Christmas Specials, I prefer the old-fashioned way of watching them a few times as they are airing on AMC, FreeForm, or CBS. The idea of owning a beloved Christmas Special on DVD and VHS and rewatching them multiple times can lose that charm as seeing them live. Especially when it comes to Rankin/Bass' various Holidays specials of the late 1960s and 1970s decade.

I don't care if Rudolph's Shiny New Year has gained mixed reception, I still love that special dearly. Mainly the scene where Rudolph finally meets Happy the Baby New Year and has a sweet conversation about how similar his situation is with Rudolph. (Happy getting laughed over his big ears being a parallel to Rudolph getting made fun over his red nose).

Last edited:

brb1006

It's better because its full quality and no commercials
I would have to disagree, both FreeForm and AMC airs the other Rankin/Bass specials in high quality. Heck, Warner Bros (the holders to other Rankin/Bass Specials) somehow restored all of the voice acting (such as A Year Without A Santa Claus, Rudolph's Shiny New Year, and others) to sound much clearer. Heck, as much as CBS has begun botching the Rudolph special by making some stupid edits. I prefer commercial breaks for the specials to let viewers take in on a particular moment (such as Rudolph heading back to the North Pole while we hear Bumble roaring in the distance, Sam the Snowman holding his umbrella as a blizzard is coming while dramatic music is playing, and Rudolph sadly singing "We're A Couple A Misfits" after taking off his fake nose).

lazyboy97o

You can watch anytime you want...except you have to be able to change the input on your tv, fire up Roku, download the app for the show into your phone, cast the app from your phone to the show's channel on Roku. Won't happen. I'll have to be there for them to watch their show.
What? You don’t need to cast from your phone to a Roku. Even with the Roku Express which is often only $20 you can watch directly on the device.

TP2000

Heck, I might watch some of my favorites movies on some streaming services. But when it comes to Christmas Specials, I prefer the old-fashioned way of watching them a few times as they are airing on AMC, FreeForm, or CBS. The idea of owning a beloved Christmas Special on DVD and VHS and rewatching them multiple times can lose that charm as seeing them live. Especially when it comes to Rankin/Bass' various Holidays specials of the late 1960s and 1970s decade.

I don't care if Rudolph's Shiny New Year has gained mixed reception, I still love that special dearly. Mainly the scene where Rudolph finally meets Happy the Baby New Year and has a sweet conversation about how similar his situation is with Rudolph. (Happy getting laughed over his big ears being a parallel to Rudolph getting made fun over his red nose).

You and I have similar tastes in Christmas TV.

You might enjoy a few other Christmas specials that I watch on DVD annually, and that are now also available in good quality on YouTube. Anyone interested in a healthy dose of Christmas cheer with a big dollop of schmaltz should enjoy (and search for on YouTube);

• 1968 Dean Martin Christmas Special, In Living Color. The Golddiggers, endless celebrity guests, song and dance and comedy as only a giant and glitzy 1960’s Variety Show can offer. Plus an A List montage of American treasures listing which orphanage or children’s hospital they are sending Christmas gifts to that always makes me tear up a bit. America!

• Pee Wee’s Christmas Special. A fabulous 1980’s gift of crazy hilarity. The opening number alone is breathtaking! Plus Charo!

• SCTV Dusty Towne Holiday Special. From about 1983 when SCTV was far better than SNL. Decades before she was Moira Rose, Catherine O’Hara was already one of Canada’s most precious national exports. It’s not Christmas in my house until I sing along with her “Sexy Holidays To You” number. With a shout out to Solid Gold Dancers. Incredible! But don’t let the children watch this one!

brb1006

You and I have similar tastes in Christmas TV.

You might enjoy a few other Christmas specials that I watch on DVD annually, and that are now also available in good quality on YouTube. Anyone interested in a healthy dose of Christmas cheer with a big dollop of schmaltz should enjoy (and search for on YouTube);

• 1968 Dean Martin Christmas Special, In Living Color. The Golddiggers, endless celebrity guests, song and dance and comedy as only a giant and glitzy 1960’s Variety Show can offer. Plus an A List montage of American treasures listing which orphanage or children’s hospital they are sending Christmas gifts to that always makes me tear up a bit. America!

• Pee Wee’s Christmas Special. A fabulous 1980’s gift of crazy hilarity. The opening number alone is breathtaking! Plus Charo!

• SCTV Dusty Towne Holiday Special. From about 1983 when SCTV was far better than SNL. Decades before she was Moira Rose, Catherine O’Hara was already one of Canada’s most precious national exports. It’s not Christmas in my house until I sing along with her “Sexy Holidays To You” number. With a shout out to Solid Gold Dancers. Incredible! But don’t let the children watch this one!
supernatural-dean.gif

Glad I'm not alone on loving Rudolph's Shiny New Year.

I actually watched the Pee Wee's Christmas Special a few times in the past. It's cheesy in a charming way.

Besides Rudolph's Shiny New Year, another Rankin/Bass favorite of mine is Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey from 1977. Despite the tone being very melancholy, it's a very sweet special since it's Rankin/Bass' fourth adaptation of The Nativity but told from the perspective of talking animals. Unlike The Star, Nestor handles the topic very seriously and isn't comedic and is mainly focused on Nestor coming to terms with his long ears.
images

To this day, I can't think of another fictional or animated donkey that looked this adorable as Nestor. The closest is the cover for the Christmas Song "Dominick the Christmas Donkey".
Dominic_the_Donkey_cover.jpg

Also is it just me, or am I the only person who used to confuse Nestor the Long-Eared Donkey with Dominick the Christmas Donkey until recently.

Last edited:

brb1006

On the topic of Christmas Specials, one of my all-time favorite specials that I hold dearly to my heart is the 1997 Christmas Special "Annabelle's Wish". It's about a calf who wishes to fly after getting amazed at Santa's reindeer after Santa gives the farm animal the ability to talk on Christmas Day (later extended to an entire year). The special is very cute, but very bittersweet featuring Cloris Leachmen, Jim Varney, and Kath Soucie (my all-time favorite voice actor).
annabelles_wish_1997.jpg

As person who grew up during the late 1990s and early 2000s, I remember Fox (and later Cartoon Network) used to air this special annually until the mid to late 2000s. Annabelle has to be the cutest looking cow that I can think of.

As a person who isn't into country music, the song "World From Way Up Here" performed by Alison Krauss is a beautifully performed song that's heard when Annabelle is dreaming of flying like a reindeer.

The song was even used for a "Make-A-Wish-Foundation" promo during the special's VHS release.

The special has since gained a cult following with fans of Christmas specials and would watch this annually during the Christmas season. Perfect Christmas special to watch to get in the cozy mood.

Dear Prudence

supernatural-dean.gif

Glad I'm not alone on loving Rudolph's Shiny New Year.

I actually watched the Pee Wee's Christmas Special a few times in the past. It's cheesy in a charming way.

Besides Rudolph's Shiny New Year, another Rankin/Bass favorite of mine is Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey from 1977. Despite the tone being very melancholy, it's a very sweet special since it's Rankin/Bass' fourth adaptation of The Nativity but told from the perspective of talking animals. Unlike The Star, Nestor handles the topic very seriously and isn't comedic and is mainly focused on Nestor coming to terms with his long ears.
images

To this day, I can't think of another fictional or animated donkey that looked this adorable as Nestor. The closest is the cover for the Christmas Song "Dominick the Christmas Donkey".
Dominic_the_Donkey_cover.jpg

Also is it just me, or am I the only person who used to confuse Nestor the Long-Eared Donkey with Dominick the Christmas Donkey until recently.
I cannot watch Nestor without sobbing

Phroobar

New thing happened to me this afternoon: Disneyland cancelled my reservation for Oga's next month and in return sent a $25 Disney gift card. Nifty.
We found it isn't hard to get in on the day of your visit. Just make sure to watch the app and keep checking it. You can usually get in within a hour or so. Make sure you show up on time or you'll lose it and have to try again.

waltography

We found it isn't hard to get in on the day of your visit. Just make sure to watch the app and keep checking it. You can usually get in within a hour or so. Make sure you show up on time or you'll lose it and have to try again.
Figured as much, thanks. We had pretty consistent luck with the walk-up list on the app but wanted to avoid the whole rigamarole for the January trip, but I guess we'll have to go through that process again haha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom