The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

George Lucas on a Bench

I doubt I'll ever play it again. The Switch collects dust. I'll probably give it away. I mainly play emulated versions of the Super SW games through my PC and Gamecube Rogue Squadron and Universal Studios games upscaled S Video to HDMI from the GC.

CaptinEO

I doubt I'll ever play it again. The Switch collects dust. I'll probably give it away. I mainly play emulated versions of the Super SW games through my PC and Gamecube Rogue Squadron and Universal Studios games upscaled S Video to HDMI from the GC.
I'm super lucky I got the GC Component Cables for 40-50 bucks on ebay in the mid 2000s. I've always loved the Universal Studios game since I rented it back in the day.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I got digital versions of Ghostbusters Remastered, Mario Kart and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. Ghostbusters is arguably the best of the lot. Mario Kart is alright but I feel like I enjoyed the Wii version more and almost never played it. RCT3 is nearly unplayable with the Switch remote and doesn't even feature mouse and keyboard option. I also have a copy of Super Mario 3D Allstars for Mario 64. I got 118 stars and gave up.

Am I the only that got suckered into that extra $70 remote? I don’t think you’d have a problem on that one. I only bought it because I didn’t realize the switch came with eBay nifty device to turn the two little controllers into one big one. May keep the additional one I bought for when I want to play 2 players.

mickEblu

Original Poster
So looks like my first trip to WDW is being “planned” for me. My wife’s best friend is getting married in January 2023 at Animal Kingdom. I’m assuming at the lodge. Is January a good time to go to WDW? Did a little research and sounds like it’s decent. I’m assuming by January 2023 Tron and the GOTG coaster will be open. Hopefully they do a hotel room block and we get some decent rates.

PiratesMansion

So looks like my first trip to WDW is being “planned” for me. My wife’s best friend is getting married in January 2023 at Animal Kingdom. I’m assuming at the lodge. Is January a good time to go to WDW? Did a little research and sounds like it’s decent. I’m assuming by January 2023 Tron and the GOTG coaster will be open. Hopefully they do a hotel room block and we get some decent rates.
Should be decent if you avoid New Years (obviously) and marathon weekend. New rides should be open that point. However, if Splash is still around, expect it to be closed for its annual refurb.

waltography

Am I the only that got suckered into that extra $70 remote? I don’t think you’d have a problem on that one. I only bought it because I didn’t realize the switch came with eBay nifty device to turn the two little controllers into one big one. May keep the additional one I bought for when I want to play 2 players.
The extra remote is also useful for if JoyCon drift ever happens to you - the drift makes the entire system unplayable without replacement or repair, but the extra remote can just become your main controller at that point.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The extra remote is also useful for if JoyCon drift ever happens to you - the drift makes the entire system unplayable without replacement or repair, but the extra remote can just become your main controller at that point.

Oh no. Does that happen often? Are they sending out a bunch of lemons?

Rich T

It’s never happened with any of my Joycons, but it is a known issue for some. (Playstation’s apparently got similar reports with theirs).

Good news: Nintendo will fix it for free; no receipt or warranty needed.

That Pro Controller you bought is my favorite controller of all time—I just wish its surface wasn’t so slippery!

George Lucas on a Bench

By the way, I threw on Universal Studios Theme Park Adventure, one of two games that sold me on the Gamecube 20 years ago. It's widely considered one of the worst games ever made by people who actually played it, but I've always liked it. Anyway, this game is known for locking you out of the major attractions, a huge annoyance since you just want to go in.

20210713_180752.jpg
20210713_180735.jpg
20210713_180935.jpg

This looks exactly like the way Disney wants to run Disneyland these days! How do I get a boarding group for E.T.?

waltography

It happens often enough to be a problem for lots of Switch users, usually if you're super aggressive with the joysticks; from what I understand, it often has something to do with how the silicon cover underneath the joystick doesn't really protect from debris getting in and messing with stuff.

Nintendo does fix for free but you're left remoteless for ~2 weeks (which isn't bad, tbh), so if it ever happens your Pro Controller's good to have! 👍

Rich T

My first reaction to the trailer for Pixar’s Turning Red: There’s gotta be more to the story than that. I’m not crazy about the scrunched, dollhouse proportions on the adult characters, but maybe it works in context with the film’s world. Hoping it’s good!

CaptinEO

By the way, I threw on Universal Studios Theme Park Adventure, one of two games that sold me on the Gamecube 20 years ago. It's widely considered one of the worst games ever made by people who actually played it, but I've always liked it. Anyway, this game is known for locking you out of the major attractions, a huge annoyance since you just want to go in.

View attachment 572117View attachment 572118View attachment 572119

This looks exactly like the way Disney wants to run Disneyland these days! How do I get a boarding group for E.T.?
Always loved this game. The real soundtrack music makes it even better and it captures the best attraction lineup Universal ever had.

My only gripe is the movie quiz that asks really odd/specific questions.

Californian Elitist

My first reaction to the trailer for Pixar’s Turning Red: There’s gotta be more to the story than that. I’m not crazy about the scrunched, dollhouse proportions on the adult characters, but maybe it works in context with the film’s world. Hoping it’s good!
The plot is definitely...strange. But the girl's mom had me dying and I will be watching for her character at least. Reminds me of the helicopter parenting some Asian parents can be known for.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Should be decent if you avoid New Years (obviously) and marathon weekend. New rides should be open that point. However, if Splash is still around, expect it to be closed for its annual refurb.

That would suck. If it’s still even around by then that is. So the wife just told me the wedding is actually at the Expedition Everest base camp in the park and Jiko was mentioned which I’m assuming is where the reception will be held.

Little Green Men

January is usually nice. It’s decent weather, not too hot at all, and Christmas decorations usually stay up til mid Jan. The only time the race will impact you is the day of it in the Epcot area.

mickEblu

Original Poster
January is usually nice. It’s decent weather, not too hot at all, and Christmas decorations usually stay up til mid Jan. The only time the race will impact you is the day of it in the Epcot area.

I’m actually hoping it’s late Jan and the Christmas decorations are down. There’s something depressing/ anticlimactic about them still being up when the holidays are over. Also, it being my first time I’d rather just see the parks in standard mode. Happy to hear the weather is nice though.

Little Green Men

I’m actually hoping it’s late Jan and the Christmas decorations are down. There’s something depressing/ anticlimactic about them still being up when the holidays are over. Also, it being my first time I’d rather just see the parks in standard mode. Happy to hear the weather is nice though.
Haha yeah I get what you mean. Usually they’re gone by the 14th or so.

D.Silentu

It's early to talk about fall events, but since that hasn't stopped anyone else I guess I'll join in. Tickets for Delusion: Reaper's Remorse go on sale today. For those unfamiliar, Delusion is a kind of immersive theater, which the creator has dubbed a 'haunted play.' In practice, it's an hour long narrative experience where you are taken through sets and events. Half haunted maze, and half play, where you are treated like an existing character in the story. A guide is with you at all times. Occasionally there are activities to complete, which are generally basic or intuitive, but go miles to make you feel like a part of the action. It's a lot of fun if you are willing to participate and surrender yourself to the story.

It's pricy, but best in its class for this sort of entertainment. Tickets sell out quickly so have a look if you're interested.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom