The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

SplashGhost

Most rides that "break down" are not due to mechanical issues. Often times it is slow guests. Coasters and even Fantasyland rides are affected by this. They have to hit dispatch intervals fairly quickly. If they don't the ride backs up and boom. Downtime.

I know slow guests cause a lot of issues, but are the longer down times (2 plus hours) caused by slow guests or are those due to something else?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Hey @Rich T i just bought a Nintendo Switch for my son tonight. He somehow discovered the world of Nintendo and has been gaining interest over the last few months. What Mario game would you recommend? Odyssey from what I understand is the best and most like Mario 64 so that sounds cool but U Deluxe looks like it might be a better starter game. I’ll definitely be getting Mario Kart. So far the only game I bought him is Minecraft as it’s the one he wanted most but I have no idea what the heck is going on. Too complicated for my taste.

CaptinEO

Hey @Rich T i just bought a Nintendo Switch for my son tonight. He somehow discovered the world of Nintendo and has been gaining interest over the last few months. What Mario game would you recommend? Odyssey from what I understand is the best and most like Mario 64 so that sounds cool but U Deluxe looks like it might be a better starter game. I’ll definitely be getting Mario Kart. So far the only game I bought him is Minecraft as it’s the one he wanted most but I have no idea what the heck is going on. Too complicated for my taste.
Super Mario All Stars is the best introduction, its on Super Nintendo, Wii, and if you have a Switch you can play it if you have an online subscription.

The next best introduction is 3D All Stars on the Switch, which may be a bit hard to track down now. Mario Bros U is pretty boring and uninspired IMO and lacks the magic of the other games.

Odyssey was also excellent and has the freedom and controls of Mario 64. Also a good starter choice.

George Lucas on a Bench

20210713_065340.jpg

Rich T

Congratulations! 😃 Switch is an awesome device.

Odyssey is a mind-blowingly wonderful game for all ages—Production values and imagination through the roof, and my pick for best Mario game (*spoiler* early in the game, you can become a T-Rex).

Deluxe is a decent update of classic Mario gameplay, which—though simpler and more straightforward, is often more difficult than the open-ended exploration of games like Odyssey.

On that note, the limited-release Super Mario 3D AllStars is a good deal, bundling Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy. It’s recently discontinued, but you might still find it at Walmart, Best Buy, etc. as Nintendo manufactured a *lot* of copies.

Mariokart 8 Deluxe is one of the most fun, super-headliner E-Ticket games in human history, so you’ve made a great decision there! :)

Other fantastic Nintendo-developed Switch games for all ages: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Animal Crossing and ARMS (fighters with slinky spring arms—‘nuff said :D).

The new Mario Golf game is excellent; can be played serious or silly/chaotic. A bit light on content for the price, but they’ll be beefing it up this year with free DLC.

I could go on and on... :D If you have any other questions, ask anytime! :)

mickEblu

Original Poster

Odyssey is a mind-blowingly wonderful game for all ages—Production values and imagination through the roof, and my pick for best Mario game (*spoiler* early in the game, you can become a T-Rex).

Deluxe is a decent update of classic Mario gameplay, which—though simpler and more straightforward, is often more difficult than the open-ended exploration of games like Odyssey.

On that note, the limited-release Super Mario 3D AllStars is a good deal, bundling Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy. It’s recently discontinued, but you might still find it at Walmart, Best Buy, etc. as Nintendo manufactured a *lot* of copies.

Mariokart 8 Deluxe is one of the most fun, super-headliner E-Ticket games in human history, so you’ve made a great decision there! :)

Other fantastic Nintendo-developed Switch games for all ages: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Animal Crossing and ARMS (fighters with slinky spring arms—‘nuff said :D).

The new Mario Golf game is excellent; can be played serious or silly/chaotic. A bit light on content for the price, but they’ll be beefing it up this year with free DLC.

Thank you! I knew as our resident Nintendo guy, that you would have a great breakdown.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Super Mario All Stars is the best introduction, its on Super Nintendo, Wii, and if you have a Switch you can play it if you have an online subscription.

The next best introduction is 3D All Stars on the Switch, which may be a bit hard to track down now. Mario Bros U is pretty boring and uninspired IMO and lacks the magic of the other games.

Odyssey was also excellent and has the freedom and controls of Mario 64. Also a good starter choice.

Thanks! Ok Mario Bros U is scratched off the list. I think I’m going with Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart for now. I’ve played and destroyed many people in Mario Kart Deluxe 8 on my brother in laws Wii U. How do you and @Rich T feel about Tropical Freeze and Luigis Mansion 3?

CaptinEO

First Luca and now Turning Red, the Cal Arts style of animation has taken over Pixar and I detest it. It's such an ugly and uncreative aesthetic. Illumination movies have a better sense of design than this.
View attachment 571972

It's a knock off studio ghibli style in 3D more than anything. I don't like their titles. "Turning Red" "Soul" "Inside Out". At least Luca was a good movie title.

CaptinEO

Thanks! Ok Mario Bros U is scratched off the list. I think I’m going with Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart for now. I’ve played and destroyed many people in Mario Kart Deluxe on my brother in laws Wii U. How do you and @Rich T feel about Tropical Freeze and Luigis Mansion 3?
Tropical Freeze is excellent all around (music, visuals, gameplay) but is a difficult game, it definitely has old school levels of difficulty.

mickEblu

Original Poster

I forgot to ask. Do you recommend buying digital games online or physical games? I haven’t really played video games since N64 in the late 90s so this is all new to me.

CaptinEO

I forgot to ask. Do you recommend buying digital games online or physical games? I haven’t really played video games since N64 in the late 90s so this is all new to me.
To answer for them, go physical when you can. The cost is usually less, you get a cool collectible out of it, and you own the game forever and can resell it if needed.

Nintendo games get super expensive as years go by. Theres also tons of digital only titles that can be there when you dont want to bring cartridges around.

The problem with digital is that these storefronts wont be around forever. Sony recently tried to shutdown the PS3 store but got so much flak that they kept it running for now. But nothing is permanent when it comes to online marketplaces.

mickEblu

Original Poster
To answer for them, go physical when you can. The cost is usually less, you get a cool collectible out of it, and you own the game forever and can resell it if needed.

Nintendo games get super expensive as years go by. Theres also tons of digital only titles that can be there when you dont want to bring cartridges around.

The problem with digital is that these storefronts wont be around forever. Sony recently tried to shutdown the PS3 store but got so much flak that they kept it running for now. But nothing is permanent when it comes to online marketplaces.

Thank you. So far so good. I bought the physical copy of Minecraft. Although I’m not sure he or I will ever play it. He plays some knock off version of Minecraft on the iPad which he likes but seems like we both have no clue what to do with Minecraft and I have no interest in finding out.

CaptinEO

Thank you. So far so good. I bought the physical copy of Minecraft. Although I’m not sure he or I will ever play it. He plays some knock off version of Minecraft on the iPad which he likes but seems like we both have no clue what to do with Minecraft and I have no interest in finding out.
Hahaha for Minecraft I really liked the game when it was in alpha. When they kept adding more to it was when I stopped enjoying the game.

I just liked digging caves and finding secret caverns.

Rich T

I, personally, buy everything digitally now, unless there’s an included physical doodad needed to play the game (Ring Fit Adventure).

I do it for the convenience, and also because of impatience: New games usually go live on the eShop at 9 PM Pacific Time the night before the release day. :D

It’s true that there’s no knowing how many years digital storefronts will stay active, but it’s also true that digital games can’t be lost, stolen or destroyed in mishaps like physical media. I think it all balances out either way; digital works for my lifestyle. :)

George Lucas on a Bench

I got digital versions of Ghostbusters Remastered, Mario Kart and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. Ghostbusters is arguably the best of the lot. Mario Kart is alright but I feel like I enjoyed the Wii version more and almost never played it. RCT3 is nearly unplayable with the Switch remote and doesn't even feature mouse and keyboard option. I also have a copy of Super Mario 3D Allstars for Mario 64. I got 118 stars and gave up.

Rich T

I got digital versions of Ghostbusters Remastered, Mario Kart and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. Ghostbusters is arguably the best of the lot. Mario Kart is alright but I feel like I enjoyed the Wii version more and almost never played it. RCT3 is nearly unplayable with the Switch remote and doesn't even feature mouse and keyboard option. I also have a copy of Super Mario 3D Allstars for Mario 64. I got 118 stars and gave up.
It took me a few hours to get used to the controls for RCT3 on Switch, but after that (and, yeah, it was a tough few hours) it became 2nd nature and very responsive. Give it another go! 😃

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom