The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

BrianLo

I just finished burning through Disney Wars. Not sure why it took me so long to get around to, but a glowing endorsement if you at all frequent this site and have vested interests in Disney as a whole. The one caveat being you do need a baseline interest in the studio side of things, that's the writers angled focus. Still lots of parks stuff, but it would be a slog if the studios/tv production/boardroom drama doesn't interest you one lick.

It spends a surprising amount of time working its way up through the years, including time spent with Walt. This is not just a book about 2000-2005. In fact it mostly isn't about that era.

Random Things I've learned:
1) The wheels realistically were already coming off in the early 90's. Had Frank Wells not died, there is just about a zero percent chance he would have stayed with the company to see the millennium.
2) I actually don't think the company needs a "creative" at the top. Well certainly not a bad creative, which frankly Eisner had more terrible ideas than good. It needs the creatives separated from the business (which needs to support the creative process, but not drive it). Roy and Walt. Iger isn't creative, but he has been a good 'Roy' generally and mostly supported various actual creatives at the heads of their departments. Eisner was neither a great Roy or a Walt, but boy did he think he was both.
3) Disney was sure filled with a lot of terrible, vindictive people.
4) Euro Disney was the downfall of the parks, more than Wells. It really was the blow to Eisner's ego.
5) Disney basically almost bought every tv network. So many bad calls and turned down projects at other studios/networks.

But the most important thing I learned: How to pronounce Zenia Mucha's name. Whom to the surprise of no one doesn't play all that much into the book, other than the author singing lavish praises about her in the credits.

I do see what the Medium article was trying to be, but wasn't, this book.

FerretAfros

The Oregon Ducks just won the Rosebowl. Anyone know when they have the special parade in Disneyland?
All of the Rose Bowl festivities take place before the game, including the official visits by the teams and marching bands. This includes all of the marching bands in the parade over just a few day window before. With hundreds of members in each band, and a half-dozen-or-so bands per day, the logistics of getting everybody ready backstage are really impressive. I can only imagine how much more difficult it is now that so much of backstage has been ripped out for Star Wars and Runaway Railway.

Oregon's football team visited on the 26th, and got stuck on the Incredicoaster. This "article" is obviously poorly written, but it's a funny situation regardless!

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I just finished burning through Disney Wars. Not sure why it took me so long to get around to, but a glowing endorsement if you at all frequent this site and have vested interests in Disney as a whole. The one caveat being you do need a baseline interest in the studio side of things, that's the writers angled focus. Still lots of parks stuff, but it would be a slog if the studios/tv production/boardroom drama doesn't interest you one lick.

It spends a surprising amount of time working its way up through the years, including time spent with Walt. This is not just a book about 2000-2005. In fact it mostly isn't about that era.

Random Things I've learned:
1) The wheels realistically were already coming off in the early 90's. Had Frank Wells not died, there is just about a zero percent chance he would have stayed with the company to see the millennium.
2) I actually don't think the company needs a "creative" at the top. Well certainly not a bad creative, which frankly Eisner had more terrible ideas than good. It needs the creatives separated from the business (which needs to support the creative process, but not drive it). Roy and Walt. Iger isn't creative, but he has been a good 'Roy' generally and mostly supported various actual creatives at the heads of their departments. Eisner was neither a great Roy or a Walt, but boy did he think he was both.
3) Disney was sure filled with a lot of terrible, vindictive people.
4) Euro Disney was the downfall of the parks, more than Wells. It really was the blow to Eisner's ego.
5) Disney basically almost bought every tv network. So many bad calls and turned down projects at other studios/networks.

But the most important thing I learned: How to pronounce Zenia Mucha's name. Whom to the surprise of no one doesn't play all that much into the book, other than the author singing lavish praises about her in the credits.

I do see what the Medium article was trying to be, but wasn't, this book.
is DISNEY WARS a show or movie and where can i see it at?

SuddenStorm

A CM friend really pulled through for Christmas this year...

20200101_213655-01.jpeg

TROR

I so desperately want Disney to make a real fairy tale again. Something like Sleeping Beauty, or Pinocchio, or Beauty and the Beast. I know they've had Frozen, Frozen II, and Tangled, but as much as I honestly do enjoy those, they don't have the same reverence as the others.

Sharon&Susan

1578101239257.png

A restaurant with a mascot that is a parody of American patriotism right next to a show dedicated to celebrating American patriotism.

The "everything needs to be IP" mandate will ensure that Epcot will stay a mess, a different type of mess, but a mess all the same. Surprised that the Space restaurant doesn't have an IP attached to it (yet)

TROR

View attachment 439027

A restaurant with a mascot that is a parody of American patriotism right next to a show dedicated to celebrating American patriotism.

The "everything needs to be IP" mandate will ensure that Epcot will stay a mess, a different type of mess, but a mess all the same. Surprised that the Space restaurant doesn't have an IP attached to it (yet)
Nothing says America like... regality?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I so desperately want Disney to make a real fairy tale again. Something like Sleeping Beauty, or Pinocchio, or Beauty and the Beast. I know they've had Frozen, Frozen II, and Tangled, but as much as I honestly do enjoy those, they don't have the same reverence as the others.
They can call it "Happy and the Ramp"

Darkbeer1

Tonight's Off Topic Rant is Rodents. No, not cute Squirrels, nor Pepe LePew. Both of those Rome our backyard, along with birds including Dove's, Scrub Jays, Hummingbirds and even Hawks, they prefer Squab, and are welcome to as many as they want. I love how the adult Squirrels will actually attack the Hawk....

No, we are talking about relatives of Mickey, Minnie and Remy!!!

A few got into our garage, and decided that our washing machine hoses were a special Christmas Time treat for them, and had quite a few meals. I mean multiple hoses that seem to now be more air space than hose material. Of course, the appliance repair person said no way to fix it until the rats are gone.

So that meant Rodents Stop, who for a one time fee, will rodent proof your house, remove the droppings, take away the urine trails, seal up the house, and replace any attic insulation damaged by the rats and mice. And guarantee their work for the lifetime of the house, yes, that means if we sell it, the warranty transfers to the new owners.

So the cost of this wonderful service, after the Senior Discount, is just $4,600. Add to that the repair or replacement of the Washing Machine at $400 to $900.

And we just paid over $5,000 for the house to be painted including stucco repair.

Heck, I could have bought 5 Disney Premier Passports instead....

Mickey, Remy, better not try and get on my good side in the near future!!!

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Tonight's Off Topic Rant is Rodents. No, not cute Squirrels, nor Pepe LePew. Both of those Rome our backyard, along with birds including Dove's, Scrub Jays, Hummingbirds and even Hawks, they prefer Squab, and are welcome to as many as they want. I love how the adult Squirrels will actually attack the Hawk....

No, we are talking about relatives of Mickey, Minnie and Remy!!!

A few got into our garage, and decided that our washing machine hoses were a special Christmas Time treat for them, and had quite a few meals. I mean multiple hoses that seem to now be more air space than hose material. Of course, the appliance repair person said no way to fix it until the rats are gone.

So that meant Rodents Stop, who for a one time fee, will rodent proof your house, remove the droppings, take away the urine trails, seal up the house, and replace any attic insulation damaged by the rats and mice. And guarantee their work for the lifetime of the house, yes, that means if we sell it, the warranty transfers to the new owners.

So the cost of this wonderful service, after the Senior Discount, is just $4,600. Add to that the repair or replacement of the Washing Machine at $400 to $900.

And we just paid over $5,000 for the house to be painted including stucco repair.

Heck, I could have bought 5 Disney Premier Passports instead....

Mickey, Remy, better not try and get on my good side in the near future!!!
throw some rat poison in there and kill them all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom