The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

Meh. I hate when they try to make stuff like this look retro. Make a contemporary book or piece of art. Reeks of pretentiousness
Ordinarily I’d agree, but I think it’s appropriate for SW. It conveys the Flash Gordon feeling Lucas was aiming for when he made the OT. And, seriously, it does a great job of summing up that entire goofy episode in one image.

Rich T

The problem is that it mimics something of old that is implied to be superior but in fact is equally as inferior as its modern day counterpart. Furthermore it’s not an original concept paying homage to a time gone by, but taking someone else’s ideas and placing another person’s ideas into them to create nothing special.
The artist is having fun. Works for me. 😊

JD2000

It could be most economical for Disney to create a new Tomorrowland '67.

• Star Tours becomes a new Rocket to the Moon, using the current ride system, but traveling elsewhere.
  • Buzz Lightyear becomes new Adventure Thru Inner Space, using the current ride system and track layout.

• Remove the structural tacked-on elements of '98 (similar to what is happening in Florida).
  • Paint, using a lot of white.

• The PeopleMover returns, updated to LIM for propulsion.

• Space Mountain updated with new special effects.

• Innoventions demolished to make room for new attraction.

• Etc.

Rich T

• Star Tours becomes a new Rocket to the Moon, using the current ride system, but traveling elsewhere.
  • Buzz Lightyear becomes new Adventure Thru Inner Space, using the current ride system and track layout.

• Remove the structural tacked-on elements of '98 (similar to what is happening in Florida).

• Etc.
I’d be very happy with that—And the Rocket Jets back where they belong. Let TL be the ultra optimistic TL of ‘67 forever. Tomorrowland can be a state of mind instead of an actual prediction.

Suspirian

The problem is that it mimics something of old that is implied to be superior but in fact is equally as inferior as its modern day counterpart. Furthermore it’s not an original concept paying homage to a time gone by, but taking someone else’s ideas and placing another person’s ideas into them to create nothing special.

this is where pretentious would be used correctly

• Etc.

No we can’t reference things from the past! Its pretentious!

mickEblu

Original Poster
I’d be very happy with that—And the Rocket Jets back where they belong. Let TL be the ultra optimistic TL of ‘67 forever. Tomorrowland can be a state of mind instead of an actual prediction.

Right. I was saying that to a friend of mine. Why can’t TL be what we hope and not necessarily what we think.

Phroobar

Why do Disney geeks always propose changes to Tomorrowland that puts it back the way it was per TL'98? What can't they think bigger and more radical? I'd rather see a new Tomorrowland with brand new stuff and none of it reused except the subs for Seabase Delta. I hate this cheap lets put it back the way it was mentality from people that were never alive during that time. Let's think bigger and better. Let's not repeat the past.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Why do Disney geeks always propose changes to Tomorrowland that puts it back the way it was per TL'98? What can't they think bigger and more radical? I'd rather see a new Tomorrowland with brand new stuff and none of it reused except the subs for Seabase Delta. I hate this cheap lets put it back the way it was mentality from people that were never alive during that time. Let's think bigger and better. Let's not repeat the past.

Well because it’s not fair that we didn’t get to experience it in it’s hey day. It was also pleasant, vibrant and full of kinetic energy which will always be in style. Loved the look of TL 67. Not saying I want all the old rides back. Not ALL of them anyway

Phroobar

Well because it’s not fair that we didn’t get to experience it in it’s hey day. It was also pleasant, vibrant and full of kinetic energy which will always be in style. Loved the look of TL 67. Not saying I want all the old rides back. Not ALL of them anyway
Been there. It's not that great. Disney could do a lot better and still give us kinetic energy without it looking like it came out of early 70's. Maybe they could buy the Logan's Run IP so the millennials could learn with Carousel really is.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Been there. It's not that great. Disney could do a lot better and still give us kinetic energy without it looking like it came out of early 70's. Maybe they could buy the Logan's Run IP so the millennials could learn with Carousel really is.

Personally I don’t want an exact replica. I want it to have the skin of TL 67 with modern bells and whistles + new attractions

Sharon&Susan

Disneyland's Tomorrowland will never escape it's 67 appearance as long as Space Mountain exterior is left intact. I don't think Disney will ever alter the shape of SM just due to how iconic it is (plus the expense in altering it). I feel like keeping SM the same is the biggest reason why the Buck Rodgers style that TL '94 at MK has had no staying power there.
At least with a '67 inspired Tomorrowland, it would at least still be cohesive for at least the first year or two (something that no TL has done since Tokyo Disneyland's).

Last edited:

Rich T

...I hate this cheap lets put it back the way it was mentality from people that were never alive during that time. Let's think bigger and better. Let's not repeat the past.
Excuse me...(walrusy *harrumph*)... I was alive for PRE-67 TL and had the joy of growing up with TL 67 and it was WONDERFUL. So much fun. So bright. So optimistic. So sexist...er, ok that element wasn’t great and should be changed.

We want it back (but with Space Mountain) because it worked. Because TL has never been better. Because it made us FEEL GOOD about science and human ingenuity. It wasn’t perfect (Mission to Mars sucked), but the overall land just WORKED.

The land didn’t age well into the 80’s, and the poor Peoplemover had decayed into a clunky, shakey shadow of its former self by the time of its demise.

But we say updating is better than destroying.

We’re not saying recreate it exactly as it was. Just use the TEMPLATE. Peoplemover. Rocket Jet Plaza. A “realistic” space flight. A science Adventure dark ride. An amazing movie theater unlike anything else on Earth. A huge AA show in the Carousel Theater. Keep Space Mtn. Either bulldoze Autopia and Subs or keep them for nostalgia. Bingo: Tomorrowland! 😃

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Just stumbled upon an old TV special from the '80s on Youtube. Haven't seen it before.

It's a great overview of the park at the time... highlighting the many unique shops on Main Street, the One of a Kind Shop, restaurants of the time, Tomorrowland, and footage from many classic attractions that are long gone. It's really amazing how much things have changed.

Phroobar

Just stumbled upon an old TV special from the '80s on Youtube. Haven't seen it before.

It's a great overview of the park at the time... highlighting the many unique shops on Main Street, the One of a Kind Shop, restaurants of the time, Tomorrowland, and footage from many classic attractions that are long gone. It's really amazing how much things have changed.

I miss the days when you could just walk up to a character, say hi and walk away. They were free roaming. None of this wait twenty minutes for formal pictures and auto-graphics.

Mac Tonight

On today's episode of: "Literally nobody asked for this..."

The live-action Aladdin is getting a spin-off D+ movie featuring that one guy from that one scene...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom