The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Suspirian

Banksy's Dismayland but not for pseudo-intellectuals. I suppose any piece of experimental "art" is really for pseudo-intellectuals at its core, though.

I'd agree with half of this. I think Banksy's work is shallow and doesn't really say much? It doesn't go much deeper than "society bad" but I don't think anything experimental is for pseudo-intellectuals. "Art speak" does get a bit annoying though.

ParkPeeker

avant garde theme park ride. Role reversal. You are the theming on the ride. You enter a building with a track going around it that has vehicles with either mannequins or animatronics in them.

You go to the empty sets of the building, stand in place, and move. The animatronic/mannequin filled vehicles ride around you.

ParkPeeker

this statue is pretty cool looking

mickEblu

Original Poster
avant garde theme park ride. Role reversal. You are the theming on the ride. You enter a building with a track going around it that has vehicles with either mannequins or animatronics in them.

You go to the empty sets of the building, stand in place, and move. The animatronic/mannequin filled vehicles ride around you.

This is what the AAs In Haunted Mansion must feel like when @George Lucas on a Bench rides it over and over.

Rich T

Original DCA was very camp. Ahead of its time
No. No. I hope you're joking. DCA was not "ahead of its time." You could have opened DCA 1.0 any year between 2001 and now and it would STILL be a lousy, cynical attempt to creating a cheap-as-possible Disney park based on the belief that Disney fans are idiots who will flock to anything the company slaps the Disney brand on. The puns would still be annoying, the giant orange would still be ugly, the focus on upscale, pricey dining over quailty attractions would still be a huge mistake and people would still avoid it like the plague because they're not as stupid as Disney assumed.

But Screamin', Soarin' and Grizzly would still be fine rides.

Last edited:

TROR

So strange to me that this is in a real Disney park. Imagineering has slowly been killed since the 90's and no one just ever picked up on it. Joe Rohde's best project is Everest and that doesn't even compare to any of Baxter's work. Rohde comes off as someone who learned theme parks from a classroom, not from studying actual theme parks.

lazyboy97o

So strange to me that this is in a real Disney park. Imagineering has slowly been killed since the 90's and no one just ever picked up on it. Joe Rohde's best project is Everest and that doesn't even compare to any of Baxter's work. Rohde comes off as someone who learned theme parks from a classroom, not from studying actual theme parks.
View attachment 398555
A big part of the problems with so much of contemporary themed entertainment design is that too many designers studied theme parks. The design has become increasingly recursive, distorted copies of a copy where the wrong aspects are highlighted.

mickEblu

Original Poster
View attachment 398555

Where is that located?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom