The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

GingerGirl3

I have to stick to cable Until we find a streaming service that bundles ESPN, Spectrum Sports Net (for the Lakers), Bravo, E! and TNT. Every time I think of cutting the cord they pull me back in with those bundles. When you price out your cell phone(s), internet, and cable it just doesn’t make sense to cut the cord yet.

ESPN is part of the Hulu Disney bundle. Does the NBA have an option for games like MLB?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Decided to check out the Aladdin remake. Other than Naomi Scott and the abundance of color, this movie is not very good. The entire I just wanted to watch the Disney’s California Adventure’s Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular. That was a good show. Aladdin (2019) felt like a Disney Channel movie with a budget. It ends with a dance number! What in the world!

The previews looked terrible. Aren’t they all starting to feel like Disney Channel movies with bigger budgets? And tbh that’s kind of an insult to the Disney channel movies of the 90s that were original and still good movies with very little budget.

TROR

MLB.tv is the only streaming service I use but that's mostly because I get it free with T-mobile. Streaming services really just aren't worth the money, especially if you have more than one. Who needs Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO, CBS All Access, etc.? At that point you may as well just have cable.

mickEblu

Original Poster
MLB.tv is the only streaming service I use but that's mostly because I get it free with T-mobile. Streaming services really just aren't worth the money, especially if you have more than one. Who needs Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO, CBS All Access, etc.? At that point you may as well just have cable.

Yup. Especially if you re bundling your cell phones and internet with it. I think I’d be saving like $20 and have way less channels and convenience.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

Yup. Especially if you re bundling your cell phones and internet with it. I think I’d be saving like $20 and have way less channels and convenience.

Depends what you are looking for. If you want everything then sure cable is the best choice for now. Most people don't want that much content with IMO 90% of the content out there being unwatchable. I got rid of cable years ago and never looked back. Huge savings and I only pay for what I want.

What's going to happen is all of these companies are creating their own services. The marketplace will work itself out and many of the streaming services will consolidate and there will be about 4-5 big survivors and some smaller ones with niche content.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Depends what you are looking for. If you want everything then sure cable is the best choice for now. Most people don't want that much content with IMO 90% of the content out there being unwatchable. I got rid of cable years ago and never looked back. Huge savings and I only pay for what I want.

What's going to happen is all of these companies are creating their own services. The marketplace will work itself out and many of the streaming services will consolidate and there will be about 4-5 big survivors and some smaller ones with niche content.

Well I don’t really want a whole lot. We only watch about 5 channels and all they re all pretty much regular cable. Rarely do we venture into any of the premium channels like HBO now that GOT is over. We pay about $250 a month for our U-Verse bundle that includes our two cell phone plans with unlimited data and our high speed (ish) internet. When you price out the internet, a comparable cell phone plan that’s not bundled and the at least two streaming services to get the 5 channels we watch or best case higher end single steaming service (that still doesn’t have all 5 channels) I remember the price being very close to what we re paying.

I guess you could save money if you re ok with just Netflix and Hulu and move down to Cricket wireless or something comparable.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Personally I have no interest in cable. Give me a TV just to hook up baseball and movies and I'm set.

I don’t either. If there was just one streaming service where you could pick 4 or 5 channels of your choice and the price was considerably cheaper than cable I’d be all about it. I rarely watch TV And when I do it’s pretty much only ESPN and the Lakers network

truecoat

I got directtv last year to watch football. 1st time in 10+ years I have had a cable or sat type subscription. The content on almost all of these stations is awful. All "reality" shows playing to the lowest common denominator or shows filled with so many commercials, it's painful to watch. I got rid of it as soon as the season was over. I can't stress how bad it was or maybe I just moved on?

Last edited:

GingerGirl3

You mean does ESPN have the option?

No, my point was you wanted ESPN and it’s in the HULU option. I only care about MLB so my question was if you could find a version available a la crate for the NBA/Lakers.

We cut cable many years ago. My kids don’t understand going to my parents or hotels where tv means commercials. Hulu and Netflix are a lot cheaper than cable with no commercials to sit through.

mickEblu

Original Poster
No, my point was you wanted ESPN and it’s in the HULU option. I only care about MLB so my question was if you could find a version available a la crate for the NBA/Lakers.

We cut cable many years ago. My kids don’t understand going to my parents or hotels where tv means commercials. Hulu and Netflix are a lot cheaper than cable with no commercials to sit through.

Oh gotcha, I’m not sure I haven’t really looked.

TROR

Thinking more about John Carter. I really enjoyed the film's overall design, but it definitely could've used cinematography to mimic the look of Frank Frazetta's work. Would love to see the feeling evoked by these paintings replicated into a cinematic adventure. This is partially what I mean by the film being ahead of its time; if John Carter of Mars was released today and by the hands of a visionary director, Disney would've likely pushed for more vibrant colors due to Guardians of the Galaxy's success. Maybe Villenueve's Dune will as it's also a planetary romance.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom