The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Phroobar

I've long held a disdain for Disneyland "vloggers", often thinking them pretentious, ignorant, and annoying- especially becaue it's obvious their ride narrations and stuff are an inconvenience to others around them.

I stumbled across a channel that uploads tons of Disneyland content- Disneyana Merchandise reviews, and clips from Disneyland trips. The video quality is good, and the videos are very well edited.

As Normal As It Gets Channel

I greatly enjoyed his Disneyland Olszewski Haunted Mansion review, but the video that won me over was his Jim Shore Tiki Room piece review, in which he says that it's the first Jim Shore piece he's purchased since he typically doesn't like the design of Jim Shore pieces (which is literally the exact same for me, it's the first and only piece I've purchased that's Jim Shore, for the same reason).

Jim Shore Tiki Room Jose
Good channel but what is with his Hitler mustache? Oh, ok. It's a full mustache. Just the middle part is dark.

Rich T

Just finished watching “Mary Poppins Returns” (iTunes). Really enjoyed it. Like any James Bond movie or the sequel Poppins books themselves, it provided more of the same for people who want more of the same, and it was very well done. Best elements by far were the entire cast, the music and the whole animated sequence. I got a kick out of how many book characters and details they squeezed in. Considering how much could have gone wrong with this movie, it’s nice to see that it’s a solid, enjoyable revisit that could get new fans to check out the original. And, yeah, Emily Blunt knocked it out of the park.

Phroobar

I watched Saving Mr. Banks in Netflix. I found it funny how Walt said he would never do another Poppins movie. PL Travors was a pain the neck. She hated every aspect of it. I can't help to think how much she would have hated Mary Poppins Returns especially the Chicago Can-Can thing. Mary does not wear short hair!! It was funny to see modern Fantasyland in the film's 1960s setting.

Rich T

I watched Saving Mr. Banks in Netflix. I found it funny how Walt said he would never do another Poppins movie. PL Travors was a pain the neck. She hated every aspect of it. I can't help to think how much she would have hated Mary Poppins Returns especially the Chicago Can-Can thing. Mary does not wear short hair!! It was funny to see modern Fantasyland in the film's 1960s setting.
Things P.L. Travers probably would have hated about MPR: Its existence. Taking place 30 years later. The plot. All animation. Mary Poppins magically cleaning up the papers. DEFINITELY Mary's Vaudeville number. Jane and Jack's budding relationship. The race to Big Ben (to be fair, I don't think anyone likes that part :D). I think she would have liked the cast and the increased number of references to her books. I really am a fan of her work; I do wish she could have been more open to how the books had to be changed in order to work in film, and how that in turn could increase her own readership.

Last edited:

Rich T

One weird little continuity issue in Mary Poppins Returns: The park groundskeeper is the exact age he is in the books--which all take place 30 years prior--and has the exact look and personality (he's a fairly prominent character in all the books). I guess book fans are just supposed to assume he's Groundskeeper 2.0 :D

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Things P.L. Travers probably would have hated about MPR: Its existence. Taking place 30 years later. The plot. All animation. Mary Poppins magically cleaning up the papers. DEFINITELY Mary's Vaudeville number. Jane and Jack's budding relationship. The race to the clock (to be fair, I don't think anyone likes that part :D). I think she would have liked the cast and the increased number of references to her books. I really am a fan of her work; I do wish she could have been more open to how the books had to be changed in order to work in film, and how that in turn could increase her own readership.

It had the approval of the Travers Estate, which Disney had been trying to get for decades in order to greenlight a sequel.

So at the very least the Estate had input into MPR, and they liked it enough to give their approval. Which they weren't keen on doing before.

Rich T

Mary Poppins Returns needs to just be forgotten
I wouldn't say that. There's a lot of great work in that movie, and a lot of fun to be had. Plus, it contains what might be Disney's last foray into theatrical 2D animation ever--and that sequence is outstanding. Emily Blunt's performance is fantastic. The movie as a whole probably won't ever achieve "classic" status (it's too similar to the original to do that), but it's every bit as good as The Force Awakens...which I know is a double-edged complement...

Rich T

...And in all fairness to MPR's un-originality, similarity in structure to the first one and "more of the same" route: The Poppins sequel books share all those traits.

Rich T

Exactly its not like all the sequel books are each original, they are all derivatives of the first book.
The plots of the main four MP books: (Spoilers)
Book 1: MP shows up. MP takes the Banks kids on adventures. MP leaves.
Book 2: MP shows up. MP takes the Banks kids on adventures. MP leaves.
Book 3: MP shows up. MP takes the Banks kids on adventures. MP leaves (for the final time).
Book 4: Random untold adventures that took place during the first 3 books.

But, they're all worth reading! :D

Phroobar

It had the approval of the Travers Estate, which Disney had been trying to get for decades in order to greenlight a sequel.

So at the very least the Estate had input into MPR, and they liked it enough to give their approval. Which they weren't keen on doing before.
I can see her relatives would have loved it (especially the boat load of money). However, I bet she is rolling over in her grave.

Phroobar

The plots of the main four MP books: (Spoilers)
Book 1: MP shows up. MP takes the Banks kids on adventures. MP leaves.
Book 2: MP shows up. MP takes the Banks kids on adventures. MP leaves.
Book 3: MP shows up. MP takes the Banks kids on adventures. MP leaves (for the final time).
Book 4: Random untold adventures that took place during the first 3 books.

But, they're all worth reading! :D
Kind of like most of the Harry Potter books.
Harry goes to Hogwarts. Harry has adventures and almost gets killed. Harry goes back to his relatives.
Who goes to a school where your almost killed during every school year?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I can see her relatives would have loved it (especially the boat load of money). However, I bet she is rolling over in her grave.

Well they had turned down all other previous requests for 20 years after Travers died. So something about this MPR story pushed them to say yes.

I'm sure money helped, but I don't think that was the mitigating factor for them to say no previously.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Actually I lied yesterday. I have 5 Jim Shore pieces. Not sure how I forgot about this one. I needed a piece to represent the best Disney animated film of all time...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom