The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Disney Analyst

Isn't this about the normal time they start putting up the snow? I recall in years past it was around this time they started so that way by the beginning of November it was completely covered in snow.

It probably is. But it’s still shocking when my mind I still dreaming of summer 😭 we are currently in Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, where did the year go?!

Tysus

It's one thing to not like choices that were made or to get tired of something from going too many times, but even now, Disneyland Park is far from a bad product. If you want a bad Disney product, the Studio park in Paris is right there. Now, there are a lot of things that could be better at Disneyland, sure, but anyone who thinks the main park is a bad product is delusional. I'd suggest the likelihood is greater that the person in question has just gone too many times, which is a great way to sour yourself on ANY place on Earth. Yes, even the great ones.

Now, DCA or the resort as a whole? Cases could be made. But if you genuinely think Disneyland Park sucks, the problem is you.
I didn't want to imply it was a bad product at all. I think there's still a lot to enjoy from a visit. And you are right about going too many times souring your future visits. I think that's where I was at at the time. I had gone yearly for four years and 2019 was my last time but it was before SWL opened. So my thoughts in 2022 were I would like to finally see it even with the lukewarm reviews it got. But the hoops to jump through didn't make it seem like it was worth it to me. But that's more as a local who went on and off for 19 years.

Too Many Hats

The imagineers who are assembling the music for placemaking have no actual sense of what the music was like in the representative time periods/places and can only focus in on the 1 or 2 songs that they hear and go 'hey, that's that one old timey song, it sounds good, put it on!'. No variety, no flair, no thought put into what songs should/would/could play for the placemaking... just generic songs equivalent to a tik tok of mainstreet.

I don’t know if I agree with this generalization; or, at least, I’ve never flagged this as a problem (until Saturday, when I heard Maple Leaf Rag 3 times in 3 different lands, haha).

I’ve actually often been impressed with the song choices in each land (at least, when I’ve recognized them). I recall hearing “As Time Goes By” while strolling through Adventureland one time. Such perfect choice for that land’s sensibility; a song from the 1930s, probably most famously associated with Casablanca, a film about cultures colliding starring Humphrey Bogart, who also starred in The African Queen, a major source of inspiration for Jungle Cruise). Guests might not connect these dots while racing to scan their Indiana Jones Adventure Lightning Lane while dripping Dole-Whip all over their clothes, but subconsciously it creates a coherent, lived-in environment (while not being overly obvious — like, for example, The Beach Boys playing in Paradise Pier 1.0).

Anyway, Maple Leaf Rag on Main Street USA feels iconic. I have to imagine there are countless better options for Hollywoodland and New Orleans Square.

SuddenStorm

I don’t know if I agree with this generalization; or, at least, I’ve never flagged this as a problem (until Saturday, when I heard Maple Leaf Rag 3 times in 3 different lands, haha).

I’ve actually often been impressed with the song choices in each land (at least, when I’ve recognized them). I recall hearing “As Time Goes By” while strolling through Adventureland one time. Such perfect choice for that land’s sensibility; a song from the 1930s, probably most famously associated with Casablanca, a film about cultures colliding starring Humphrey Bogart, who also starred in The African Queen, a major source of inspiration for Jungle Cruise). Guests might not connect these dots while racing to scan their Indiana Jones Adventure Lightning Lane while dripping Dole-Whip all over their clothes, but subconsciously it creates a coherent, lived-in environment (while not being overly obvious — like, for example, The Beach Boys playing in Paradise Pier 1.0).

Anyway, Maple Leaf Rag on Main Street USA feels iconic. I have to imagine there are countless better options for Hollywoodland and New Orleans Square.

Did they change New Orleans Square's playlist? I've always thought it was done well, but also I've never noticed Maple Leaf Rag playing. But there's a good chance I've heard it a hundred times there and just never noticed it.

tanc

Premium Member
I'm very happy I was able to experience DCA in its current state right before all these major additions. I don't want to even imagine what navigating around the park with construction everywhere will be like.

DrAlice

WWOHP was AWESOME! The kid and I had fun casting spells and just hanging out, while my husband rode the big coasters. Diagon Alley was the best. Knockturn Alley? Chef's kiss.

Bonus: I didn't throw up on Forbidden Journey. Unfortunately, I had to close my eyes through about a third of it. If it had gone any longer, I wouldn't have made it. All 3 of us left that ride a bit nauseous. Universal was fun, but by the end of the day, I was done with screen-based rides. 🤢

We all agreed that Universal's Spiderman was far superior to WebSlingers. :D

On to Disney.....

DrAlice

DL-related highlights/family thoughts from today's Animal Kingdom adventure:
* ITTBAB was nostalgic. We miss bug's land. (Although, Hopper's animatronic was conspicuously MIA today.)
* Indy is far superior to Dinosaur. :)
* Pandora got "Meh" reviews from the whole group. I'm having a hard time explaining why. To be fair, the rocks are impressive, and it is beautiful overall. I think there just isn't much there to feel a connection with unless you are a big Avatar fan. We weren't able to ride Flight of Passage, so maybe if we had, that would change how we felt about the land overall. Maybe?? Also, Navi River Journey was underwhelming, despite going in with low expectations. Oh well. Hakuna Matata and all that... :D
-A

P.S.
We park hopped to Epcot at the end of the day. A surprise hit with my typically non-soda drinking family was Club Cool. My husband loved Beverly. He spent far too much time in there, mixing Beverly with the other flavors to find his favorite combo. I don't know what he eventually landed on, but said it would be best with Gin. 🤣

waltography

DL-related highlights/family thoughts from today's Animal Kingdom adventure:
* ITTBAB was nostalgic. We miss bug's land. (Although, Hopper's animatronic was conspicuously MIA today.)
* Indy is far superior to Dinosaur. :)
* Pandora got "Meh" reviews from the whole group. I'm having a hard time explaining why. To be fair, the rocks are impressive, and it is beautiful overall. I think there just isn't much there to feel a connection with unless you are a big Avatar fan. We weren't able to ride Flight of Passage, so maybe if we had, that would change how we felt about the land overall. Maybe?? Also, Navi River Journey was underwhelming, despite going in with low expectations. Oh well. Hakuna Matata and all that... :D
-A

P.S.
We park hopped to Epcot at the end of the day. A surprise hit with my typically non-soda drinking family was Club Cool. My husband loved Beverly. He spent far too much time in there, mixing Beverly with the other flavors to find his favorite combo. I don't know what he eventually landed on, but said it would be best with Gin. 🤣
Bummer y'all missed Flight of Passage! That ride is the thesis to the land for me; it's perhaps the only ride at WDW that made me tear up when I went last year, so it's certainly a big impact to how you respond to Pandora as a whole. It's like Batuu and Rise.

I'm a big Beverly fan too! I was really expecting something foul from how WDWers described it but it was a really pleasant aperitif (and there were definitely more heinous flavors... looking at you, sour plum...).

Curious how your family would rank the parks so far! I found myself in love with EPCOT and DAK and unmoved by MK (though I took plenty of castle shots).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom