The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

MoonRakerSCM

Y'all been to Alaska? Juneau and the surrounding area (SE Alaska) is spectacular. Try to save up and get up there once in your life!

I took an Uncruise around the place and got out into the water, sticks, and ice. I was particularly fascinated with the ice...

20240904_092100.jpg

20240904_100238.jpg

20240907_101453.jpg

20240907_102847.jpg

20240907_144134.jpg

20240908_151151.jpg

20240908_151613.jpg

We also did a helicopter tour with 2 hours trekking across Mendenhall galcier (full crampons and ice picks etc.). I could spend all day just flying above the ice fields...

D.Silentu

I visited the Juneau and the glacier this summer on my first trip to Alaska. The Mendenhall glacier was a highlight of the trip and something I'm grateful to have planned because, sorry to say, Juneau did not impress. It was so very touristy, while posters and banners around town denounced the tourists! Haines and Ketchikan were more appealing to me. I must admit I did get a whiskey at the Red Dog though.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Some thoughts from my trip yesterday:

The rumored space for the expanded POTC queue from Royal street Verandah to Pieces of 8 is actually good chunk of space. Larger than I realized. That should go a long way in getting some of bodies out of the NOS walkways. My hope would be that the exterior facades stay the same and that this Court of Angels like space between Port Royal and Pieces of 8 doesn't go away go away and just becomes part of the queue:

63753D37-C800-4624-A965-BDEDB7F34ECE.jpeg

2BC9E0FA-0CD2-4EA5-811A-7992C6E174E4.jpeg

Was taking a look at the ol Magnolia Park behind walls. Looks like kept all the trees that were in the front and removed the large tree in the back right corner as well as a few other smaller trees. Kind of jarring as the back of Magnolia Park looks like a big open Plaza at least when focused on the tree line from that vantage point. Hoping they bring in some trees.

Don't understand what the were thinking with the roof on the new HM gift shop. Why did the peak have to be high? Also not loving how a lot of the berm between HM and TBA is now visible and a little barren. They need to get some more shrubbery and ivy back on that berm. Also consider the angle in my my pic from is more flattering than if I would have took it from the other side of the path where the HM line extended out to.

2BFE1CAB-B519-4374-984D-9EA01BE0EE55.jpeg

466F859C-939E-4BF2-B9AF-0084AB67ACA2.jpeg

I don't find the Yellow barn offensive. It's not so bright and kind of distressed. The Golden Hour lighting might have helped too. It's fine I suppose. Ive probably already mentally adjusted from seeing all the WDW pics for about a year. And ours has the advantage of No Mural... I hope.

18850908-AE4B-4646-A19A-CAEFD9767DFE.jpeg

D72A4AD7-E532-4EDE-82F4-FA076BCA8290.jpeg

As I stood in the Winnie the Pooh queue with my family I really took in my surroundings in light of the new GE expansion rumors. That area, as most of us know is quite beautiful. I'm not sure I realized quite how forested it actually is and that berm behind the Pooh facade does wonders. I'm on board with a GE expansion if it's for Endor/ Ewoks but my stipulation would be that the Critter Country side remains the same or similar. Not sure how realistic that is as there would be a huge chunk of unused queue space but maybe they could come up with a clever solution that keeps the CC atmosphere in tact. Maybe a more elaborate meet n Greet for Pooh or TBA characters? Then you can move the meet greets out of the main thoroughfare and have a wider path to DL Forward.

Attachments

• A9C18041-1054-4C71-B6DC-F196F4F62C1C.jpeg
    A9C18041-1054-4C71-B6DC-F196F4F62C1C.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 2594C202-47BD-4C25-81BB-0ECBBF9B1968.jpeg
    2594C202-47BD-4C25-81BB-0ECBBF9B1968.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
I ate at Galactic Grill for the first time yesterday in nearly a decade. We never eat there as the food is just meh. My son wanted a burger and Hungry Bear is closed. Galactic Grill is actually kind of nostalgic for me because when I was a kid we pretty much only either ate at Hungry Bear or Tomorrowland Terrace (Galactic Grill) so when I eat there now it brings me back to the past. What's funny is that we had lunch at a really nice restaurant in Montecito as part of my wife's 40th last weekend and tried what they call their "Michelin Star" burger. No joke, somehow yesterday I enjoyed my burger from Galactic Grill more than that perfectly cooked burger from last week. Probably has something to do with hunger level and expectations but yeah that hospital/ school cafeteria burger went down just right yesterday.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I ate at Galactic Grill for the first time yesterday in nearly a decade. We never eat there as the food is just meh. My son wanted a burger and Hungry Bear is closed. Galactic Grill is actually kind of nostalgic for me because when I was a kid we pretty much only either ate at Hungry Bear or Tomorrowland Terrace (Galactic Grill) so when I eat there now it brings me back to the past. What's funny is that we had lunch at a really nice restaurant in Montecito as part of my wife's 40th last weekend and tried what they call their "Michelin Star" burger. No joke, somehow yesterday I enjoyed my burger from Galactic Grill more than that perfectly cooked burger from last week. Probably has something to do with hunger level and expectations but yeah that hospital/ school cafeteria burger went down just right yesterday.
Could it be that its just not as bad as you remember from past experiences? Its always been hit or miss for me when I've eaten there.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd say no worse than the other quick service places. They serve their entrees with seasoned potato bites instead of fries. They also have the bacon burger with grilled onions if you're into that.

It's better, but not quick service.
True, its not quick service, but if looking for a better burger than Galactic Grill or Red Rose, its worth the wait.

Too Many Hats

I swear, I’ve never had a decent burger at the Disneyland Resort.

Downtown Disney needs an In-n-Out Burger! I know you’re reading this, Disney! Make it happen!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom