The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Communicora

Premium Member

D.Silentu

The other day I was riding the tram to Citywalk and the recorded spiel advertised Universal's Jurassic World ride. It said something to the effect of, "..inspired by the Jurassic World film franchise." Earlier I was reading a movie review and it also used the word "franchise". I'm seeing the term more and more. It strikes me because I always thought of "franchise" as a practical corporate word, as opposed to the warmer sounding, public friendly descriptor "series". I'm curious if anyone shares this opinion or has noticed the frequency of the term.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The other day I was riding the tram to Citywalk and the recorded spiel advertised Universal's Jurassic World ride. It said something to the effect of, "..inspired by the Jurassic World film franchise." Earlier I was reading a movie review and it also used the word "franchise". I'm seeing the term more and more. It strikes me because I always thought of "franchise" as a practical corporate word, as opposed to the warmer sounding, public friendly descriptor "series". I'm curious if anyone shares this opinion or has noticed the frequency of the term.
Franchise is a term that has made its way into the public lexicon years ago and is no longer just a corporate term. The public knows what a franchise is and uses the term extensively for many movie properties, such as the MCU, Harry Potter, Fast and Furious, etc.

PiratesMansion

Franchise is a term that has made its way into the public lexicon years ago and is no longer just a corporate term. The public knows what a franchise is and uses the term extensively for many movie properties, such as the MCU, Harry Potter, Fast and Furious, etc.
I don't disagree, but I agree with the notion that making everything a franchise is relatively recent, and still feels weird and gross to me.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't disagree, but I agree with the notion that making everything a franchise is relatively recent, and still feels weird and gross to me.
Except the post was talking about the word "Franchise" being used now instead of "Series" rather than Hollywood making everything a franchise.

Although Hollywood wanting to turn everything into a franchise is also not really new either as they've been trying to do it since the 70s when the term started being used by Studios. Its only recently that they started to favor the franchise over other original content, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I never hear normal people use the word “franchise” when discussing Marvel, Star Wars, Jurassic World, etc. Maybe dorks like myself who post on message boards, but not the general public.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I never hear normal people use the word “franchise” when discussing Marvel, Star Wars, Jurassic World, etc. Maybe dorks like myself who post on message boards, but not the general public.
The question is do they know it and just not use it, or don't know it at all? I'm willing to bet that most if not all know the term even if they aren't using it when talking movies.

But I'm guessing we travel in different circles, as everyone I know uses the term "franchise" a lot of times when discussing movies.

MK-fan

Doea anybody remember the fiber optic logo at the entrance of the Pirates building. It was on a scroll on that little island and now it’s just a map or Tortuga or something.
Here’s a pic, very similar to the secret Tower of Terror logo or Ghostrider at night and Knott’s used to have a covered wagon that display its logo. I miss this kind of stuff, I wish they would bring it back, it added that little touch of extra magic. Wish they would bring it back.
Here’s a video as well, it at the 24:00 mark.

Attachments

• IMG_2117.png
    IMG_2117.png
    319.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

The question is do they know it and just not use it, or don't know it at all? I'm willing to bet that most if not all know the term even if they aren't using it when talking movies.

But I'm guessing we travel in different circles, as everyone I know uses the term "franchise" a lot of times when discussing movies.

Ordinary people know the term, they just don’t use it. It exists more in the realms of corporate-speak or movie dorks. I agree with the original post that the CityWalk ad referring to the “Jurassic World franchise” is somewhat unusual.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ordinary people know the term, they just don’t use it. It exists more in the realms of corporate-speak or movie dorks. I agree with the original post that the CityWalk ad referring to the “Jurassic World franchise” is somewhat unusual.
Well if ordinary people know the term, then its invaded the public lexicon even if they don't use it regularly. Most can point to a franchise if asked with the likes of the MCU, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Fast and Furious, etc., being the top answers. So when its gotten to that point where they can answer that question, its no longer just corporate-speak or limited to "movie dorks" (a term by the way that I take offense to as I am one of those so called "dorks").

D.Silentu

What I found striking about using the word 'franchise' is not that it's being used by ordinary people. I was taken aback at its usage by the people who are making franchises when addressing those people. This is just my view, but a 'series' suggests a successful story that people would like to hear more of. A 'franchise' suggests a successful story that the makers wish to monetize in every feasible way. That's why I was surprised to hear it used by Universal in their public facing spiel. It's not new that studios are trying to get the most out of their films, but the transparency seems recent and caught me off guard.

D.Silentu

...anybody remember the fiber optic logo at the entrance of the Pirates building. It was on a scroll on that little island and now it’s just a map or Tortuga or something.
Thanks for the video, I miss fiber optics too. The '97 refurbishment of Pirates has gone down as a black spot on the ride's history, but it brought a few things to like. I also enjoyed the fiber optic sign, though I would posit that the effect found an even better use later in the ride. At the 9:50 mark in the video you can faintly see the coins in the skeleton's hand appear to sparkle in the light via fiber optics. I was disappointed to see that when Jack Sparrow moved in, that effect moved out.

Rich T

Nov. 6 release date revealed! Switch tracks, drop tracks, turntables and realistic dark ride lighting confirmed. Adds the ability to hand-draw paths, plazas, lazy rivers and pools… scale-able scenery… moving platforms that can bring animation to just about any object…weather…

Viking theme… Mythology theme…

It’s so nice when a studio listens to fans and tries to grant as many requests as possible. 😃

MK-fan

Thanks for the video, I miss fiber optics too. The '97 refurbishment of Pirates has gone down as a black spot on the ride's history, but it brought a few things to like. I also enjoyed the fiber optic sign, though I would posit that the effect found an even better use later in the ride. At the 9:50 mark in the video you can faintly see the coins in the skeleton's hand appear to sparkle in the light via fiber optics. I was disappointed to see that when Jack Sparrow moved in, that effect moved out.
1726275198519.gif

Yes the 97’ refurb did leave a bad taste or “black spot” as well as the 06’ refurb

Misted Compass

Nov. 6 release date revealed! Switch tracks, drop tracks, turntables and realistic dark ride lighting confirmed. Adds the ability to hand-draw paths, plazas, lazy rivers and pools… scale-able scenery… moving platforms that can bring animation to just about any object…weather…

Viking theme… Mythology theme…

It’s so nice when a studio listens to fans and tries to grant as many requests as possible. 😃

Only issue I have is the omnimovers (a rather important ride type) requiring a preorder, especially if the game ends up becoming as popular as the first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom