The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TP2000

Okay, this just gets better, at least for fans of the hilarious Christopher Guest movies of the late 1990's and 2000's.

According to an NPR interview of Harry Shearer, The Yachtsmen at Disneyland were the inspiration for his fictional group called The Folksmen that starred in his hysterical sendup of folk music from 20 years ago, A Mighty Wind.

I still have the DVD for that movie, and me and my sister and her kids used to love watching it! Surely I can't be the only fan here of those Christopher Guest movies; Waiting For Guffman, Best In Show, For Your Consideration, A Mighty Wind, etc.? Who knew there was a Disneyland connection there?!? So funny how it all works out, isn't it? 🤣

A Mighty Wind In Tomorrowland.jpg

NobodyElse

Surely I can't be the only fan here of those Christopher Guest movies
A: You're not alone.
B: Related news - "Spinal Tap" sequel wraps up filming in New Orleans.
C: I knew an older lady that used to work the front ticket booths back in the mid 80's. She once told me she sold admission tickets to Jamie Lee Curtis. She then whispered this inside info: "Her credit card says Jamie Lee Guest". :)

britain

Okay, this just gets better, at least for fans of the hilarious Christopher Guest movies of the late 1990's and 2000's.

According to an NPR interview of Harry Shearer, The Yachtsmen at Disneyland were the inspiration for his fictional group called The Folksmen that starred in his hysterical sendup of folk music from 20 years ago, A Mighty Wind.

I still have the DVD for that movie, and me and my sister and her kids used to love watching it! Surely I can't be the only fan here of those Christopher Guest movies; Waiting For Guffman, Best In Show, For Your Consideration, A Mighty Wind, etc.? Who knew there was a Disneyland connection there?!? So funny how it all works out, isn't it? 🤣

View attachment 806007

“Chu… chu… chuggy lady.”

BrianLo

I completely missed the Indy refurb and that there were new effects. Bravo on that one!

At first I thought I just saw something turned on I had never seen before. Big improvement to the hallways with formerly the rats, which was always the weird let down part of the ride.

Disney Analyst

I completely missed the Indy refurb and that there were new effects. Bravo on that one!

At first I thought I just saw something turned on I had never seen before. Big improvement to the hallways with formerly the rats, which was always the weird let down part of the ride.

Where have you been!?

Did you just ride it recently?

It seemed to be in impressive shape when we rode in June, agree the new effects are nice!

BrianLo

The new Disneyland hotel / DtD area is turning out really nice. The concept art seemed fairly bland. Somehow I thought Tin Dai Fung was on the other side of the path and was disoriented.

Also the new DVC tower is actually quite nice. It’s like blatantly the best looking tower of the bunch. Which should be expected for something almost 70 years younger. But there are few to non existent times DVC looks better than the originals.

As is Toontown. Super pleasant and cute and they seem to have fixed up the less successful initial elements.

Disney Analyst

The new Disneyland hotel / DtD area is turning our really nice. The concept art seemed fairly bland. Somehow I thought Tin Dai Fung was on the other side of the path and was disoriented.

Also the new DVC tower is actually quite nice. It’s like blatantly the best looking tower of the bunch. Which should be expected for something almost 70 years younger. But there are few to non existent times DVC looks better than the originals.

As is Toontown. Super pleasant and cute and they seem to have fixed up the less successful initial elements.

Agreed - we enjoyed the new DTD area a lot, nice at night to sit in the area and listen to the band play while kids run around / roll around the grass "hills". Full of life and fun. Also loved the look of the new security area and great landscaping they installed.

We LOVED the new DVC tower when we explored the hotel grounds, amazing how sad the older towers seem when you venture inside them, compared to the new tower. The hotel grounds in general are lovely, walking around at night, torches lit, a very transportive experience.

Consumer

I was disappointed with Frozen 2, Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 4, so I hope the sequels all end up being better. I don’t want to get my hopes too high, though, knowing how Disney has been lately.

Rich T

For me it would be the doors and the rope bridge. I miss the bouncing bridge effect the most
My personal thought here is that the door effect, while a neat illusion, is not effective or noticeable enough to most guests to justify maintaining. In fact, in real world terms, they really only need change the look of the Gift Corridor once or twice a day; no one knows or cares which version the car ahead or behind experienced. The bouncing ropes on the bridge should definitely return.

DrAlice

VENTING:

My WDW trip dining reservations open up tomorrow, meaning I should have a general idea of which park I will go to on which day. The problem is that the parks calendars do not yet extend out to my trip days. That means I don't even know the hours for the parks (and different parks stay open later on different days). This is so overly complicated. Does Disney even look at their own website? Do they attempt to plan their own trips? I know how @TP2000 would answer that question, and I'm inclined to say he's correct.

At this point, I'm tempted to forgo any dining reservations, smuggle snacks into the parks, and eat dinner at the hotel. It's a vacation, for crying out loud. It shouldn't be this difficult.

/end rant

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom