The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Phroobar

You know, with all of this talk of striking, despite the CM's already making that 'living wage' number they were fighting for a few years ago, I was reminded of this wonderful little bit from South Park when Canada went on strike-

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous I think it is. Employee standards at Disneyland are rock bottom. The level of service is the worst it's been in 69 years of that park being open. But the way the unions act, they think they're the greatest thing ever.

Why is there not an initiative on the part of the union to get their workers to do a better job, before fighting for a huge pay bump? Negotiate a shorter contract with modest inflation based raises. But then use that time to have the union really fight to get their employees to be better, more in line with the likes of Chick Fil A or In n Out.

Then start an initiative to get them decent pay bumps, with the ability to use data on increased guest satisfaction (which usually means more spending) to back up the raise.

A union should help guarantee higher pay and more rights for the workers- but in return Disney should be getting a higher quality worker.

Unions don't work like that. Their job is to bring as much money into their coffers by constant demands for more money and keeping the employer from firing inferior workers. Less workers means less union dues. They don't fight for the employee. They fight for themselves.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Miscellaneous Thought? You asked for it. (Throwing this here so as not to sully the fine reputation of another thread.)

This:
View attachment 799443

Makes me think of this:
View attachment 799444

Which then makes me think if this:
View attachment 799445

So, imagine the ride that could have replaced Splash Mountain if Imagineering would have employed more story people with challenged reading and writing skills.

One of, if not my first crush. As I got older I became more of a Mary Ann guy. Giligans Island used to play right before Weekday cartoons when I was a kid.

TP2000

What the hell is wrong with you people?!?

How do you not choose Mrs. Howell as your crush?

8221197815_46f33c839c.jpg

SuddenStorm

Unions don't work like that. Their job is to bring as much money into their coffers by constant demands for more money and keeping the employer from firing inferior workers. Less workers means less union dues. They don't fight for the employee. They fight for themselves.

Yep, wasn't there a scandal with the Unite Here Local 11 hotels union? The union leader had an insane multi million dollar home or something paid for by union dues? I don't remember the specifics.

What's more amusing is that a few years ago, when the CM's were making minimum wage, but then paying union dues- they were technically making less than minimum.

SuddenStorm

A certain game sequel just got officially announced, and I am very, very, happy right now. 😃

Man, I was active on the Planet Coaster forums back before it released and when Roller Coaster Tycoon World was changing developers every few weeks.

I paid for the pre order of Planet Coaster and sunk a good 100 or so hours into it.

There was rumors on reddit a few years ago that Frontier was working with Disney to get the license for the next iteration- which would have been great as many of the models in Planet Coaster are heavily inspired by Disneyland (the runaway train coaster, the log flume design, and quite a few of the building sets).

I just hope this version has a better pathing system that actually resembles how a path works in a real theme park, and better more realistic park management and finance.

Phroobar

Yep, wasn't there a scandal with the Unite Here Local 11 hotels union? The union leader had an insane multi million dollar home or something paid for by union dues? I don't remember the specifics.

What's more amusing is that a few years ago, when the CM's were making minimum wage, but then paying union dues- they were technically making less than minimum.
Remember when the CMs where "on leave without pay" during covid but still had to pay union dues?

SuddenStorm

Remember when the CMs where "on leave without pay" during covid but still had to pay union dues?

I also remember how great Disney was to their staff during covid. Weeks of pay without working, and the way they brought everyone back.

I know Disney isn't a perfect organization but I can think of worse places to work for the pay.

Rich T

I just hope this version has a better pathing system that actually resembles how a path works in a real theme park, and better more realistic park management and finance.
IMG_2356.jpeg

Happily, the word is PC2’s pathing allows much more creative freedom and actual plazas.

I’m still cobbling together info from various YouTubers who were invited to a preview (and who had to remain silent for the past couple of weeks 😄), but some of the other additions (besides the water park features) I’m really happy about (if true) include:

- weather
- highly customizable flat rides and coaster trains
- objects can be scaled and mirrored
- new themes including mythology and tropical resort
- single rider lines 😃

With much more to be revealed starting with a presentation on July 31st.

Apparently they kept much under wraps during the YouTuber preview. 😃

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

View attachment 799616
Happily, the word is PC2’s pathing allows much more creative freedom and actual plazas.

I’m still cobbling together info from various YouTubers who were invited to a preview (and who had to remain silent for the past couple of weeks 😄), but some of the other additions (besides the water park features) I’m really happy about (if true) include:

- weather
- highly customizable flat rides and coaster trains
- objects can be scaled and mirrored
- new themes including mythology and tropical resort
- single rider lines 😃

With much more to be revealed starting with a presentation on July 31st.

Apparently they kept much under wraps during the YouTuber preview. 😃

I'll have to look more into it. I'll admit I grew disillusioned with it as it's incredibly time intensive, and I have this inherent need for it to actually look like a real theme park- which takes a ton of time and creativity that I lack. Both of these are my own fault.

Rich T

I'll have to look more into it. I'll admit I grew disillusioned with it as it's incredibly time intensive, and I have this inherent need for it to actually look like a real theme park- which takes a ton of time and creativity that I lack. Both of these are my own fault.
The first game certainly is a huge time sink, to say the least! 😄 I’ve come to use the game as my Zen garden. Every month or so I start a new park and just work on it in brief sessions, slowly expanding it outward like a garden, and sooner or later I have a little park done.

And after years of playing PC1, I just recently learned how to “fake” shopping/entry plazas by painting wide swaths of ground instead of using pathing, then populating the fake plazas with AA people to make it all blend in with the “functioning” areas. 😄

Don’t sell your creativity short! Although I love PC1 to bits, it seems that many long term fans have spent a lot of time finding work-arounds to its building system quirks. There are many things that are way more difficult than they should be. I’m hoping to see a lot of user-friendly additions revealed by the developer in the coming weeks. 😃

TP2000

Well our tastes change as we age. Who know's, in 10 years I might move on from Mary Ann to Mrs. Howell. I thought you would have been more of a Professor guy. LOL

You forget the generation gap here. I watched Gilligan's Island in prime time, not on after school reruns in the 70's and 80's.

At that time in my adolesence, I wouldn't have dared admit to noticing that the Professor cut a rather dashing jib, but I knew for a fact that Mrs. Howell was the best conversationalist, the best dressed, and reminded me of the subversively saucy aunt's on my mother's notably patrician side of the family (my dad's side was definitely scrappier, but he married very well).

As such, I instantly adored Lovey Howell, while Ginger and Maryann were just sort of the backup singers to her divaness.

EDIT: Okay boys, after watching this again, with Ginger doing the Jerk and the Frug for her solo, I get it. I value your diversity, and I do understand what she's got. When MaryAnn does her solo with the Swim and the Watusi, it's nice too, but pales compared to Ginger. But I'll save the barstool next to me for Mrs. Howell. :cool:

Last edited:

Epcot81Fan

EDIT: Okay boys, after watching this again, with Ginger doing the Jerk and the Frug for her solo, I get it. I value your diversity, and I do understand what she's got. When MaryAnn does her solo with the Swim and the Watusi, it's nice too, but pales compared to Ginger. But I'll save the barstool next to me for Mrs. Howell. :cool:
I feel seen. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom