The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

wdrive

Yes at Disneyland, I've seen it on at least two occasions that I remember. Now its possible it was just those specific circumstances like a female CM wasn't available so they had a male CM just take the role for that day rather than them specifically being hired for the role, I dunno. But I've personally see it on at least two occasions that I remember. I've also seen it in videos from various Disney Vloggers, so it seems to me its on a regular enough basis that its what I would consider common.

Can you link me to a video please?

Entertainment CMs can’t just take a role for the day. It doesn’t work like that.

Consumer

Yes at Disneyland, I've seen it on at least two occasions that I remember. Now its possible it was just those specific circumstances like a female CM wasn't available so they had a male CM just take the role for that day rather than them specifically being hired for the role, I dunno. But I've personally see it on at least two occasions that I remember. I've also seen it in videos from various Disney Vloggers, so it seems to me its on a regular enough basis that its what I would consider common.
I'm curious - which characters?

I can definitely see Disney hiring a man to play Ursula (is there a meet n greet for Ursula? I have no idea) but if Disney hired a man to play Ariel it would be a problem.

Anyway, speaking of this, and with the recent success of Inside Out 2, I always found it funny how, despite the additions of long hair and women's clothing, the "male" emotions of Anger and Fear still retaining very clear masculine designs, as if no amount of masking can hide what they were designed to be.
1719420923627.png

mickEblu

Original Poster
All empires eventually fall. I think what we're seeing with Disney is a slow and sad implosion. I'm not saying they are going to cease to exist but one thing Universal has to its advantage is this; Disney is so deep rooted in peoples identity that when all this PC and DEI crap become the corporate norm Disney was going to be hit harder than anyone because their fans take it personally. Don't get me wrong, they did a lot of this to themselves due to bad decisions but they were always going to be at an inherent disadvantage. Universal has the luxury of being the place folks consider a fun theme park that delivers new attractions based on recent popular IP. It's a much more casual approach. Couple that with Universal being on an upward trend (and not downward like Disney), making smarter decisions, not over reacting with the DEI stuff and just having less polarizing IP (minions/ animals v more stories centered around humans with Disney) and its not hard to see why Universal is doing so well and coming for that #1 spot. Disney is still in the driver seat but they have to start making the right decisions like yesterday.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Can you link me to a video please?

Entertainment CMs can’t just take a role for the day. It doesn’t work like that.
I don't have one readily available for you, sorry. I'll have to see if I can find it. However its not a hill I'm willing to die on, so If you say its not possible ever dunno what to tell you.

wdrive

I can definitely see Disney hiring a man to play Ursula (is there a meet n greet for Ursula? I have no idea)

There has never been an Ursula meet and greet. She’s appeared in Disneyland Paris in a parade and a show, always played by a female.

The only real examples of face characters played by the opposite genders are the Fantasmic examples given before and the Tremaines in the 1980s-early 90s

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm curious - which characters?

I can definitely see Disney hiring a man to play Ursula (is there a meet n greet for Ursula? I have no idea) but if Disney hired a man to play Ariel it would be a problem.

Anyway, speaking of this, and with the recent success of Inside Out 2, I always found it funny how, despite the additions of long hair and women's clothing, the "male" emotions of Anger and Fear still retaining very clear masculine designs, as if no amount of masking can hide what they were designed to be.
View attachment 794767
It was Cruella and Evil Queen that I recall. It wasn't any of the more feminine characters like Alice and such.

wdrive

I don't have one readily available for you, sorry. I'll have to see if I can find it. However its not a hill I'm willing to die on, so If you say its not possible ever dunno what to tell you.

Please do find it. Or even just give me the name of the vlogger and I’ll search for it myself. Or next time you’re in Disneyland make a video yourself. You’d make some good money with it with a clickbait title. A video of a male Cruella at Disneyland would rake in the views.

Until then I’m at the conclusion that you misjudged a female performer.

wdrive

As in Fresh Baked and Koda the Explorer two different Disney vloggers on Youtube.

I watch Fresh Baked Disney myself and have never seen a male performer in a female face character

Also call me a nerd but I follow most of the character photography accounts on Instagram, I’ve never seen a Evil Queen or Cruella who I did not know for certain was female.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I watch Fresh Baked Disney myself and have never seen a male performer in a female face character

Also call me a nerd but I follow most of the character photography accounts on Instagram, I’ve never seen a Evil Queen or Cruella who I did not know for certain was female.
Maybe I'm mistaken on what I saw in the videos but know what I saw personally, so unless you are a DLR entertainment CM yourself who plays the face characters and can say for certain that it'll never happened, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

wdrive

Maybe I'm mistaken on what I saw in the videos but know what I saw personally, so unless you are a DLR entertainment CM yourself who plays the face characters and can say for certain that it'll never happened, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Next time you see them in person take a photo and send it over, or next time you find them in a video please link it here please

TP2000

I just checked, the fun Kubicle Kidz over at the Parks Blog have put the whole "Halfway To The Holidays" thing to rest today. Apparently they don't celebrate Boxing Day there, and December 26th doesn't count as anything. :(

It's now just an article about Disney Cruise Line's new ship based out of Singapore. Kind of odd to put it there it would seem, but maybe they're going after the Australian and Crazy Rich Asian market?

The Like Boat.jpg

EPCOTCenterLover

All empires eventually fall. I think what we're seeing with Disney is a slow and sad implosion. I'm not saying they are going to cease to exist but one thing Universal has to its advantage is this; Disney is so deep rooted in peoples identity that when all this PC and DEI crap become the corporate norm Disney was going to be hit harder than anyone because their fans take it personally. Don't get me wrong, they did a lot of this to themselves due to bad decisions but they were always going to be at an inherent disadvantage. Universal has the luxury of being the place folks consider a fun theme park that delivers new attractions based on recent popular IP. It's a much more casual approach. Couple that with Universal being on an upward trend (and not downward like Disney), making smarter decisions, not over reacting with the DEI stuff and just having less polarizing IP (minions/ animals v more stories centered around humans with Disney) and its not hard to see why Universal is doing so well and coming for that #1 spot. Disney is still in the driver seat but they have to start making the right decisions like yesterday.
We've discovered Universal Orlando at a whole new level in the last three years. I'll say this- it is FUN! It feels fresh and innovative. Disney has some mega hits too, but their parks have been stale for far too long.

Parteecia

I just checked, the fun Kubicle Kidz over at the Parks Blog have put the whole "Halfway To The Holidays" thing to rest today. Apparently they don't celebrate Boxing Day there, and December 26th doesn't count as anything. :(

It's now just an article about Disney Cruise Line's new ship based out of Singapore. Kind of odd to put it there it would seem, but maybe they're going after the Australian and Crazy Rich Asian market?

View attachment 794886
I'm surprised that they didn't go with Experiment 626 Stitch Day.

Rich T

We've discovered Universal Orlando at a whole new level in the last three years. I'll say this- it is FUN! It feels fresh and innovative. Disney has some mega hits too, but their parks have been stale for far too long.
Totally agree, especially in Orlando. I find that Universal in Florida feels much more fun, relaxed, and entertaining to me. I agree with your statement that the Disney parks feel stale at this point; I think they need to fix this ASAP. If they can. I’m losing faith in Disney’s ability to tell a good story… let alone one that’s not a sequel. Again… stale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom