The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TP2000

It belongs in a museum.
iu

Valid point. It belongs somewhere. And if Disney is no longer able, or willing, to use American industry to help fill out the weak lineup in its Tomorrowland while their parks burst at the seams from overcrowding (a problem for that land since 1955), then SpaceX could be a great museum addition. And just leave Disneyland's Tomorrowland to slowly age into oblivion with multiple empty buildings and pavilions. :(

That looks like the OC Children's Museum alongside the Santa Ana Freeway. The giant cube gives it away. But it's had a new paint job! It looks much better, or at least looks more welcoming and fun. Even when I was living in OC I rarely drove that section of freeway, and since Nordstrom closed at MainPlace Mall over a decade ago I stopped going to that mall.

When did this new paint job and spruce up happen?

Phroobar

Valid point. It belongs somewhere. And if Disney is no longer able, or willing, to use American industry to help fill out the weak lineup in its Tomorrowland while their parks burst at the seams from overcrowding (a problem for that land since 1955), then SpaceX could be a great museum addition. And just leave Disneyland's Tomorrowland to slowly age into oblivion with multiple empty buildings and pavilions. :(

That looks like the OC Children's Museum alongside the Santa Ana Freeway. The giant cube gives it away. But it's had a new paint job! It looks much better, or at least looks more welcoming and fun. Even when I was living in OC I rarely drove that section of freeway, and since Nordstrom closed at MainPlace Mall over a decade ago I stopped going to that mall.

When did this new paint job and spruce up happen?
They painted it a few years ago when the added the new wing. It is great place for little kids. We were members for a few years.

TP2000

In another thread just now, I made fun of the Parks Blog. That's easy to do, of course. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

But then I thought "What is the Parks Blog up to lately?..." so I went to go look. They didn't disappoint.

Apparently, because you can't say "Christmas In July" any more, they have branded today, June 25th, "Halfway To The Holidays". Um... okay. But shouldn't it be "Halfway To Christmas" if you are celebrating a six month early event on December 25th?

The mind boggles at how Disney now forces itself to go into mental gymnastics and tongue-tied euphemisms to avoid saying normal words like "Christmas", much less admitting it when you are purposely alluding to December 25th. And yet they're trying to make as much money off that lucrative "holiday" as possible, but won't allow themselves to say it or type it.

You just sort of have to feel very sorry for them now. It must be exhausting to operate their corporate culture like this.

94% Of The Way To Hanukah.jpg

TP2000

And what the heck is Disney Experiences? 🧐

How'd I miss that until now? That's what they're calling themselves now? Not Disney Parks, or God forbid spelling it out correctly like "Disneyland" or "Walt Disney World". Now it's Disney Experiences?

That label has all the warmth and nostalgia and meaning as a DVC timeshare contract. The part about roof maintenance fees.

Phroobar

In another thread just now, I made fun of the Parks Blog. That's easy to do, of course. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

But then I thought "What is the Parks Blog up to lately?..." so I went to go look. They didn't disappoint.

Apparently, because you can't say "Christmas In July" any more, they have branded today, June 25th, "Halfway To The Holidays". Um... okay. But shouldn't it be "Halfway To Christmas" if you are celebrating a six month early event on December 25th?

The mind boggles at how Disney now forces itself to go into mental gymnastics and tongue-tied euphemisms to avoid saying normal words like "Christmas", much less admitting it when you are purposely alluding to December 25th. And yet they're trying to make as much money off that lucrative "holiday" as possible, but won't allow themselves to say it or type it.

You just sort of have to feel very sorry for them now. It must be exhausting to operate their corporate culture like this.

View attachment 794607

Season of Lights, Joy and Family!!!!

Why don't they just give up and go with Festivus (for the rest of us).

iu

Phroobar

How'd I miss that until now? That's what they're calling themselves now? Not Disney Parks, or God forbid spelling it out correctly like "Disneyland" or "Walt Disney World". Now it's Disney Experiences?

That label has all the warmth and nostalgia and meaning as a DVC timeshare contract. The part about roof maintenance fees.
Did you know you can rent a Disney Princess for the day (or night :devilish:)? Talk about a Disney Experience!

Disney Irish

Premium Member

It was renamed to Disney Experiences last year to realign with the overall corporate structure that has shuffled over the years as its no longer just the Parks. It was taking from the rename back in 2018 of Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products and just shortened to Disney Experiences as that encapsulates everything.

TP2000

Season of Lights, Joy and Family!!!!

Why don't they just give up and go with Festivus (for the rest of us).

It's hilarious, isn't it? I mean, it's just so over the top dumb at this point, all you can do is laugh at them. 🤣

What's notable for Disney is that it appears to be only an American phenomenon. 🇺🇸 None of the overseas Parks or their Cast has to abide by Burbank's ban on the C word. The intro piece from Kaitlin Bailey, Global PR Manager, is a perfectly ridiculous example of avoiding any use of the C word. Her text following her intro describing "winter holiday" events at the Cruise Line, Disneyland and WDW all use the same Newspeak sentence constructions and euphemisms.

Caitlin Knows Newspeak.jpg

But then it all falls apart for poor Kaitlin when she gets to the overseas Parks. Even in Communist China, an officially atheist society, they use the C word in all of their marketing, titles, and phrasing for that holiday that happens to fall on December 25th. Kaitlin is then forced to use official branding and titles in Paris and Tokyo, and the C word runs amok.

Hong Kong 1.jpg

Hong Kong 2.jpg

Paris.jpg

Tokyo.jpg

TP2000

It was renamed to Disney Experiences last year to realign with the overall corporate structure that has shuffled over the years as its no longer just the Parks. It was taking from the rename back in 2018 of Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products and just shortened to Disney Experiences as that encapsulates everything.

Well, it's an utterly charming name. Do they sell t-shirts? :cool:

mickEblu

Original Poster

View attachment 794607

Can’t say Christmas but drag queens walking up and down Main Street = A Ok 👌

I was at the park on a day last June where Pride Nite was being held that evening. As you know they allow folks in a few hours before their event meaning they are mingling with regular day guests. I saw some very interesting characters walking in that afternoon but none better than a few of the drag queens. The most memorable of the bunch being about 6 foot 5 in heels, make up, big hair the whole deal. But don’t you dare say Christmas! I just couldn’t help thinking what some of the straight laced families from the Mid West must have been thinking. They must not have had a clue what was going on. But this is Disneys DEI team. Geniuses. Amazing at their job.

And don’t you dare say “ladies and gentlemen!”

Last edited:

Phroobar

Can’t say Christmas but drag queens walking up and down Main Street = A Ok 👌

I was at the park on a day last June where Pride Nite was being held that evening. As you know they allow folks in a few hours before their event meaning they are mingling with regular day guests. I saw some very interesting characters walking in that afternoon but none better than a few of the drag queens. The most memorable of the bunch being about 6 foot 5 in heels, make up, big hair the whole deal. But don’t you dare say Christmas! I just couldn’t help thinking what some of the strait laced families from the Mid West must have been thinking. They must not have had a clue what was going on. But this is Disneys DEI team. Geniuses. Amazing at their job.

And don’t you dare say “ladies and gentlemen!”
Maybe it was one of Cinderella's ugly step sisters?

iu

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I still don't understand why it bothers people so much that companies or people use the neutral term of "Holidays" for the season. Not everyone celebrates Christmas, so it makes sense to just use the neutral term of "Holidays" for a company that caters to all people.

If you want to still use "Christmas" when you talk about the season or give seasons greetings go for it no one is stopping you.

TP2000

I still don't understand why it bothers people so much that companies or people use the neutral term of "Holidays" for the season. Not everyone celebrates Christmas, so it makes sense to just use the neutral term of "Holidays" for a company that caters to all people.

So why does Disney Experiences (Gawd, that's good!) brand their Christmas events at Disneyland Paris as "Disney Enchanted Christmas" with events called "Let's Sing Christmas!" and a food festival called a "Christmas Market", but in Anaheim and Orlando they can only say made up phrases like "winter holidays" and "holly jolly events" selling "merry merchandise"?

It's so blatantly creepy and cringey at this point, that they bring this upon themselves. It's weird. :oops:

The Parks Blog launched this Halfway To The Holidays on June 24th, and added some posts on June 25th. Why? What "holiday" happens six months from now every year on December 25th? Can you say it? Do you know what it might be?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So why do they brand their Christmas events at Disneyland Paris as "Disney Enchanted Christmas", but in Anaheim and Orlando they can only say made up phrases like "winter holidays" and "holly jolly events" selling "merry merchandise"?

It's so blatantly creepy and cringey, that they bring this upon themselves.

The Parks Blog launched this Halfway To The Holidays on June 24th, and added some posts on June 25th. Why? What "holiday" happens six months from now on December 25th? Can you say it? Do you know what it might be?
It based on the cultural norms of the region.

As for other holidays we are half way to right now -

Hanukkah
Yule
Kwanzaa
Bodhi Day

Just to name a few of the major ones.

Rich T

If you want to still use "Christmas" when you talk about the season or give seasons greetings go for it no one is stopping you.
Regarding Disney specifically, it’s because Disney has previously used the word Christmas… a LOT. In the parks, in movies, in tv specials, in upcharge events, and ESPECIALLY in home entertainment. How many Christmas music collections and Christmas Mickey video releases exist? Quite a trainload. It’s a part of the lives of millions.

I think most people have no issue just enjoying the popular Christmas Santa Claus world-building and general cheer-spreading without feeling left out if they aren’t Christian.

I don’t have a big problem with substituting the word “holidays”, and I often do in public as a matter of courtesy. But at Disneyland, Christmas has been a tradition for nearly 70 years. It’s part of the park’s history and identity. Sponging it away adds to the general blandness and dull-i-fication that, IMO, is making the company less appealing with each passing month.

All should be welcome, certainly, but it doesn’t mean everything needs to be generic.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Regarding Disney specifically, it’s because Disney has previously used the word Christmas… a LOT. In the parks, in movies, in tv specials, in upcharge events, and ESPECIALLY in home entertainment. How many Christmas music collections and Christmas Mickey video releases exist? Quite a trainload. It’s a part of the lives of millions.

I think most people have no issue just enjoying the popular Christmas Santa Claus world-building and general cheer-spreading without feeling left out if they aren’t Christian.

I don’t have a big problem with substituting the word “holidays”, and I often do in public as a matter of courtesy. But at Disneyland, Christmas has been a tradition for nearly 70 years. It’s part of the park’s history and identity. Sponging it away adds to the general blandness and dull-i-fication that, IMO, is making the company less appealing with each passing month.

All should be welcome, certainly, but it doesn’t mean everything needs to be generic.
But its not like Disney actually shy's away from using the word Christmas even in the US Parks. WDW literally has a ticketed event called "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party" during the holiday season -

At Disneyland they still call it the Christmas Fantasy Parade -

But I think you touched upon the reason why Disney uses Holiday in their promotional material, its courtesy. So Disney isn't removing "Christmas" from the US Parks, they are just being courteous to guests that may not celebrate Christmas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom