The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TP2000

Here's an update from OCR on the entertainment reductions:

"Disney California Adventure has canceled two shows and cut back performances on two more as atmosphere entertainment continues to shrink at the Anaheim theme park heading into the busy Fourth of July weekend during the peak of summer.

Disney California Adventure is trimming schedules in July for the Warriors of Wakanda in Avengers Campus and the Citizens of Buena Vista Street along the park’s main entrance promenade.

Disney California Adventure will soon adjust performance schedules on select entertainment offerings, according to Disneyland officials.

Disney California Adventure continually evaluates entertainment offerings and makes adjustments, according to Disneyland officials.

Warriors of Wakanda: The Disciplines of the Dora Milaje features the Black Panther’s bodyguards offering strength and skill training sessions to visitors in the Marvel themed land.

The Citizens of Buena Vista Street include a police officer, bike messenger and the mayor dressed in period costumes who interact with visitors and bring the entry promenade’s 1920s Los Angeles theme to life.

Both Warriors of Wakanda and Citizens of Buena Vista Street performed daily in June and will cut back performances by 20% or more during July — one of the busiest vacation months of the year.

Citizens of Buena Vista Street will not be offered on Thursdays and Fridays during most of July while Warriors of Wakanda will not be offered on select Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays throughout the month. The Disneyland entertainment calendar only extended to July 24 as of press time."

Wow. They're really serious about firing current performers and cutting back on in-park offerings.

Something tells me this isn't the last of it either. More likely, this is just the beginning and what people have noticed so far. And what happens when the new fiscal year starts in October?

Either Disneyland's labor costs have soared with the new union contract, or they really are feeling the pinch of soft attendance and lower per-guest spending (likely due to 2024's rising inflation on almost everything, almost everywhere).

Disney Analyst

Wow. They're really serious about firing current performers and cutting back on in-park offerings.

Something tells me this isn't the last of it either. More likely, this is just the beginning and what people have noticed so far. And what happens when the new fiscal year starts in October?

Either Disneyland's labor costs have soared with the new union contract, or they really are feeling the pinch of soft attendance and lower per-guest spending (likely due to 2024's rising inflation on almost everything, almost everywhere).

I guess if this is just a reaction to summer attendance being soft, as they mentioned at the last earning call … I guess I’m grateful they are reducing vs fully cutting… any and all business cuts labour when things are soft.

But it all feels stingy and icky to me.

🫠

gerarar

Premium Member
I guess if this is just a reaction to summer attendance being soft, as they mentioned at the last earning call … I guess I’m grateful they are reducing vs fully cutting… any and all business cuts labour when things are soft.

But it all feels stingy and icky to me.

🫠
What's weird to me is in that article it says multiple times, "...according to Disneyland officials".

So like, is some Disney PR person giving a heads up and actually announcing to media outlets that they are cutting back entertainment?? That's a weird thing to do when they could just cut it and not say anything and let fans/media/etc. speculate. I think when WDW entertainment cuts occur it's usually that kinda route.

Unless this is some required thing they must do by contracts, unions, etc.

smooch

The difference is that you had to search for that information. Elon is everywhere and deliberately provoking. I don't do social media and try to avoid all mentions of him and I can't.
This was gonna be my response. Sure, all of those companies have disgusting pasts / current politics in the name of growing company value, but the CEOs didn't go out of their way to spread hate and bigotry at any opportunity, even unprovoked. Elon sits on Twitter attacking Disney, the "woke" mob, the left, etc. at a far higher rate than his business ventures.

The world is not what it was in the decades past. You know CEOs now, they're tied to their companies because anyone can just google their name and see their actions and values. But Elon spreads so much hate that people who don't even go on Twitter or seek out news about him hear about his constant antics and BS in the news, how he's throwing tantrums and saying Disney grooms kids, etc.

He's being investigated / sued across multiple companies for multiple types of crimes, some with his conduct in the workplace, some with his fiduciary responsibilities to his companies. The man is a walking dumpster fire, and sadly for all of the wonderful and talented engineers at SpaceX anything relating to their accomplishments will be overshadowed by the man who acts like he's personally working on the rockets himself going on hateful rants and retweeting racist stuff on Twitter. Any company he's a part of literally has it's value lowered because he's a risk to work with, his public image is absolutely horrible and continues to get worse outside of his echo chamber of Elon fanboys.

Phroobar

What's weird to me is in that article it says multiple times, "...according to Disneyland officials".

So like, is some Disney PR person giving a heads up and actually announcing to media outlets that they are cutting back entertainment?? That's a weird thing to do when they could just cut it and not say anything and let fans/media/etc. speculate. I think when WDW entertainment cuts occur it's usually that kinda route.

Unless this is some required thing they must do by contracts, unions, etc.
Someone put Scrooge McDuck in charge of Entertainment again.

iu

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This was gonna be my response. Sure, all of those companies have disgusting pasts / current politics in the name of growing company value, but the CEOs didn't go out of their way to spread hate and bigotry at any opportunity, even unprovoked. Elon sits on Twitter attacking Disney, the "woke" mob, the left, etc. at a far higher rate than his business ventures.

The world is not what it was in the decades past. You know CEOs now, they're tied to their companies because anyone can just google their name and see their actions and values. But Elon spreads so much hate that people who don't even go on Twitter or seek out news about him hear about his constant antics and BS in the news, how he's throwing tantrums and saying Disney grooms kids, etc.

He's being investigated / sued across multiple companies for multiple types of crimes, some with his conduct in the workplace, some with his fiduciary responsibilities to his companies. The man is a walking dumpster fire, and sadly for all of the wonderful and talented engineers at SpaceX anything relating to their accomplishments will be overshadowed by the man who acts like he's personally working on the rockets himself going on hateful rants and retweeting racist stuff on Twitter. Any company he's a part of literally has it's value lowered because he's a risk to work with, his public image is absolutely horrible and continues to get worse outside of his echo chamber of Elon fanboys.
And the hits keep on coming for Elon, he is now being sued for turning SpaceX into a toxic workplace and firing employees that raised concerns.

TP2000

And the hits keep on coming for Elon, he is now being sued for turning SpaceX into a toxic workplace and firing employees that raised concerns.

That type of thing isn't exclusive to any of the successful companies employing tens of thousands that Elon Musk has started and built. That sort of thing can, and does, happen to nearly any company in America with more than 3 employees.

Like Disney, which in recent months has been accused of multiple issues of discrimination or illegal behavior:

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That type of thing isn't exclusive to any of the successful companies employing tens of thousands that Elon Musk has started and built. That sort of thing can, and does, happen to nearly any company in America with more than 3 employees.

Like Disney, which in just the past few months has been accused of multiple issues of discrimination or illegal behavior:

Where did I say it was unique or exclusive to just Elon and his companies? All I said was that a new lawsuit has been filed against him for making a toxic work environment and firing people for raising concerns just this week.

TP2000

Where did I say it was unique or exclusive to just Elon and his companies? All I said was that a new lawsuit has been filed against him for making a toxic work environment and firing people for raising concerns just this week

I just Googled it, and Elon Musk's various companies employ over 125,000 people around the world. As I said, any company can be sued for alleged wrongdoing, from a 3 person muffler shop to a 125,000 employee global empire.

I just pulled over a half dozen different news stories of Disney being sued by employees or contractors and it paints a picture of Disney's corporate campuses and properties being a toxic workplace hellscape of sexual assault, sexual harassment, racial bigotry, misogyny, illegal accounting, and stolen wages, to name just the most recent stuff Disney is accused of doing.

But you go to Disneyland and you give Disney your money? Aren't you ashamed of that? I'm not ashamed, because I know most lawsuits against employers are from fired nutjobs and/or have much more to the story. But are you ashamed of giving Disney money for its goods and products after all it has been accused of doing to its miserable and trapped employees? ;)

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Here.

I just Googled it, and Elon Musk's various companies employ over 125,000 people around the world. As I said, any company can be sued for alleged wrongdoing from a 3 person muffler shop to a 125,000 employee global empire.

I just pulled over a half dozen different news stories of Disney being sued by employees or contractors and it paints a picture of Disney's corporate campuses and properties being a toxic hellscape full of sexual assault, sexual harassment, racial bigotry, misogyny, illegal accounting, and stolen wages, to name just the most recent stuff Disney is accused of doing.

But you go to Disneyland and you give Disney your money? Aren't you ashamed of that? I'm not ashamed, because I know most lawsuits against employers are from fired nutjobs and/or have much more to the story. But are you ashamed of giving Disney money for its goods and products after all it has been accused of doing to its miserable and trapped employees? ;)
And again where did I say this was exclusive or unique to Elon? You're reading something into my post that wasn't there. All I was saying is that another lawsuit was filed against him this week, not that he is the only one to get such a lawsuit.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
and where did TP say you said it was exclusive? He simply commented that it's a common thing found with practically every company. Suggesting the 'hit' is not something to really hold against Elon/SpaceX.
He edited his post where he was trying to indicate that I said it was exclusive to Elon which I did not.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Your quote of his post matches his edited one...

Again, his statement doesn't specify YOU said it was exclusive, it was merely a statement.
No it doesn’t, you missed the part where he said “Here” and quoted my original post in response to my question about asking where I said it was exclusive to Elon. If you look his posted was edited an hour after my response to that post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom