The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Disney Irish

Premium Member
View attachment 773788

Hello, lads. I am having a lousy day, but I am hoping that you are all having a great first day of Spring! 💖🌻🏵🌱

I hoped that dressing like one of the Mad Tea Party Teacups would intrinsically just make it a good day, and, *narrator voice*, boy, was I wrong. Still, dressing up in Fantasyland colour schemes is never a bad idea, no matter how bad the day ends up being.
Great outfit!

Epcot81Fan

Speaking of an optimistic future led by American free enterprise...

I've been meaning to share this find from YouTube. It's in black and white, and its silent, but the clarity is stunning. And the visuals of a visit to the New Tomorrowland on opening day in 1967 are almost surreal.

And who needs sound when as Disneyland geeks we already know all the Sherman Brothers corporate theme songs? Just hum along when you need to.

What a great era - a time before "body positivity" when society was still about having "personal pride in one's appearance, maintaining a healthy weight, and attention to grooming".

Rich T

Been having fun watching the vlogs of the grand opening of “Nemesis Reborn” at Alton Towers. Lots of great, creative theming and live actors giving it their all. I particularly love the sign-carrying protestors chanting. “Nemesis has feelings too! Nemesis has feelings too!” 😄

While I don’t quite understand Alton Towers’ obsession with filling their beautiful park with dark, forboding land themes (Gloomy Wood, Forbidden Valley, Dark Forest), this is a great example of how an attraction can be horrific and whimsical at the same time. 😃

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Sad to report Plaza Inn was not very good on my last trip. Pieces were very small and not juicy. Hopefully it was a fluke and not some cost cutting measure.

I went to the Plaza last week and I too was disappointed in my chicken. The pieces were okay in size but I was disappointed in the coating & fry. But there is a new grocery store in my area that has pretty amazing chicken so that might have biased me. Nice to know I wasn't the only one disappointed.

TP2000

What a great era - a time before "body positivity" when society was still about having "personal pride in one's appearance, maintaining a healthy weight, and attention to grooming".

Hairdos and hemlines rise and fall over the decades, fashions come and go and come back again, but the overall aesthetic appearance of Cast Members today compared to the 20th century couldn't be more different.

Just look at the hostesses from the various attractions; poised, gracious, upbeat and sunshiny bright, they know how a lady should stand and comport herself in public, well groomed and healthy looking, and the genuine smiles never seemed to end. They don't necessarily have to look like supermodels (and none were), but their grooming and health shone through naturally and made them look genuinely attractive and happy. You rarely see that with young women nowadays, and especially not from Disneyland CM's.

Monsanto hostesses with a Monsanto executive
Monsanto.jpg

General Electric hostess welcomes the crowd aboard the Carousel of Progress
General Electric.jpg

Coca-Cola hostesses enjoy the opening day show!
Coca Cola.jpg

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
I went to the Plaza last week and I too was disappointed in my chicken. The pieces were okay in size but I was disappointed in the coating & fry. But there is a new grocery store in my area that has pretty amazing chicken so that might have biased me. Nice to know I wasn't the only one disappointed.

Yeah they were a little bland too and not very hot.

Epcot81Fan

Hairdos and hemlines rise and fall over the decades, fashions come and go and come back again, but the overall aesthetic appearance of Cast Members today compared to the 20th century couldn't be more different.

Just look at the hostesses from the various attractions; poised, gracious, upbeat and sunshiny bright, they know how a lady should stand and comport herself in public, well groomed and healthy looking, and the genuine smiles never seemed to end. They don't necessarily have to look like supermodels (and none were), but their grooming and health shone through naturally and made them look genuinely attractive and happy. You rarely see that with young women nowadays, and especially not from Disneyland CM's.

Monsanto hostesses with a Monsanto executive
View attachment 773870

General Electric hostess welcomes the crowd aboard the Carousel of Progress
View attachment 773871

Coca-Cola hostesses enjoy the opening day show!
View attachment 773872
Perfectly said.

As Edith Head once famously said, “Your dresses should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady.”

Gracious, poised, feminine, and upbeat - if only women today realized how powerful those traits can be in today’s world.

Well, one certainly has:

1710903018267.jpeg

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Perfectly said.

As Edith Head once famously said, “Your dresses should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady.”

Gracious, poised, feminine, and upbeat - if only women today realized how powerful those traits can be in today’s world.

Well, one certainly has:

View attachment 773902

I can’t have a bigger booty than my girl though. Haha.

Also, I have nothing against Taylor Swift or her outfit but I would say that’s maybe not quite the right outfit to drive home your point?

Last edited:

TP2000

I say we set this thread on fire and start over.

Why the hell would you want to do that? This thread is one of the most interesting, and sometimes nonsensical but always entertaining, threads that I've known in my 30 years on the World Wide Web.

It doesn't always make sense, but it's fun.

I mean, we can't just be like WDW fans and talk about refillable mugs and DVC points, can we? That sounds so boring. 🧐

Epcot81Fan

I can’t have a bigger booty than my girl though. Haha.

Also, I have nothing against Taylor Swift or her outfit but I would say that’s maybe not quite the right outfit to drive home your point?
Fair enough - here’s another (frankly, you can choose any one of her), but even in her “sexy” concert attire above, she’s always appropriate, feminine, and upbeat.

It’s her world and we’re all just living in it….

1710914188870.jpeg

TP2000

Fair enough - here’s another (frankly, you can choose any one of her), but even in her “sexy” concert attire above, she’s always appropriate, feminine, and upbeat.

It’s her world and we’re all just living in it….

View attachment 773907

I'm afraid I couldn't name one song that she sings (although I'm sure I've heard them at a cocktail lounge, or department store, or neighborhood barbecue, or something), but I really do like her. She's a sweet throwback to those 20th century starlets, but she's also very now and modern. And I hope she ends up marrying that bearded football player, because he's not bad either.

Pardon my ignorance, but does Taylor Swift have any Disney connection at all? A Disney Channel show 20 years ago or something? I feel like Disneyland should really be getting in on this Taylor Swift pop culture moment she's having in the mid 2020's. It's undeniable that she's the It Girl of this present generation, like Annette Funicello circa 1962.

TP2000

I’d imagine most of you will have the same first thought reading this caption that I had

View attachment 773916

“Damn. He didn’t get to see Disneyland. Just missed it by 3 months.”

From what I've read of Prof. Einstein, he wasn't just brilliant, he also had a great sense of humor and loved whimsy.

I'd imagine he would have loved Disneyland, as he would have instinctively tuned in and acknowledged its excellent design and engineering in respect to its visitors, even at its earliest stage in 1955.

mickEblu

Original Poster
From what I've read of Prof. Einstein, he wasn't just brilliant, he also had a great sense of humor and loved whimsy.

I'd imagine he would have loved Disneyland, as he would have instinctively tuned in and acknowledged its excellent design and engineering in respect to its visitors, even at its earliest stage in 1955.

I agree. Do you think he lived long enough to hear his name used as a noun or did that not start after he died?

Consumer

I'm afraid I couldn't name one song that she sings (although I'm sure I've heard them at a cocktail lounge, or department store, or neighborhood barbecue, or something), but I really do like her. She's a sweet throwback to those 20th century starlets, but she's also very now and modern. And I hope she ends up marrying that bearded football player, because he's not bad either.

Pardon my ignorance, but does Taylor Swift have any Disney connection at all? A Disney Channel show 20 years ago or something? I feel like Disneyland should really be getting in on this Taylor Swift pop culture moment she's having in the mid 2020's. It's undeniable that she's the It Girl of this present generation, like Annette Funicello circa 1962.
Taylor wrote some of the music for the Hannah Montana movie as well as made a cameo in it. Her Eras Tour concert is also on Disney+.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom