The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

CaptinEO

20 years ago the Patina group used to be good. The Covid closures really killed them, and the entire company very nearly collapsed in 2021. But their service was going downhill fast even before Covid.
I definitely know in 2016-2017 I had no issues with them but around 2018 it started to get really bad.

Via Napoli in Disney World has been amazing and a 10/10 every time though (pre and post covid), it's hard to believe it's ran by the same company. Food and service are so different than Naples

I don't know why they are taking up so much space in downtown disney. You'd think the company wants to have more tenants. Curious to see who will take over Tortilla Jos spot, hopefully not patina!

Consumer

mickEblu

Original Poster
I could see it being permanent, just look at Disneyland Paris' Space Mountain which has had a "temporary" star wars overlay on it for 8 years now.

Yeah I can see that too. I enjoy Hyperspace Mountain but that's because its a treat for those 2-3 visits I go to the park during the 2 month overlay.

mickEblu

Original Poster
On another note @CaptinEO I showed Captain EO to my son last night for the first time. Man, what a classic. He sat through it and enjoyed it. Which is more than I can say when I showed my 14 year old cousin (at the time) 12 years ago.

For myself who was a very impressionable young age during the first Captain EO run it was a quintessential part of the Disneyland experience. It was Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Country Bear Jamboree, Jungle Cruise and Captain Eo. For older people I can see how it may have been viewed as some new diversion or "temporary offering" but it was much more than that for me. Why is the TL theatre just sitting there empty? They should be playing Captain EO for as long as TL remains in its current hodge podge state.

truecoat

On another note @CaptinEO I showed Captain EO to my son last night for the first time. Man, what a classic. He sat through it and enjoyed it. Which is more than I can say when I showed my 14 year old cousin (at the time) 12 years ago.

For myself who was a very impressionable young age during the first Captain EO run it was a quintessential part of the Disneyland experience. It was Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Country Bear Jamboree, Jungle Cruise and Captain Eo. For older people I can see how it may have been viewed as some new diversion or "temporary offering" but it was much more than that for me. Why is the TL theatre just sitting there empty? They should be playing Captain EO for as long as TL remains in its current hodge podge state.

I'd rather see Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.

TP2000

I'd rather see Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.

Wait, I'm going to keep my Super Angry Face emoji that was my initial gut reaction to this, but then also consider...

Maybe it's time to bring it back? But just for a "limited engagement" thing, and as part of a 1990's throwback campaign. My tablemates and I were marveling at a pack of well-behaved teenagers last weekend at a local date nite steakhouse place called Anasazi. But we weren't marveling at the fact they were well-behaved, because it's Utah and that's the norm here even for teens.

Rather, we were marveling at the clothes and styles they were wearing that were straight out of the 1990's. The girls had wide legged jeans and brightly colored blouses, and the boys had perfectly coiffed haircuts longer in back that 30 years ago we called "mullets". These kids could have gone to Disneyland in 1995 and passed as totally normal teens from that era.

The 1990's are back apparently. The under-30 crowd might enjoy a return of Honey I Shrunk The Audience just to marvel at the fashions and vibe, and the over-40 crowd might enjoy it just for the nostalgia and laughs. That leaves the 31 to 39 year olds who don't want to relive their 1990's kindergarten years, but so be it.

It's time to bring back Honey, I Shrunk The Audience! for a limited engagement. Gosh knows there's nothing else going on in Tomorrowland.

Disneyland-Paris-Honey-I-shrunk-the-audience.jpg

CaptinEO

I'm glad they enjoyed it! I was pretty young when they closed it during the first go around but did see it, and saw it many times after they brought it back.

I bought a ton if the merchandise for the tribute version and still have it. Plushes for fuzzball, hooter, shirts, full size poster. Disney merchandise was much better back in the 2010s. They even had multiple 80s sweaters and a light up captain eo jacket that I never picked up.

It's such a shame there's no good HD version out there considering its 70mm film and would look amazing in 4k. All we have are VHS bootlegs.

I think is a classic, flaws and all. It has its own world and visual look. It's completely unique. It's not Michael Jackson as himself performing his hit songs but a complete story/world full of fun characters.

I'm not saying it's perfect, some parts are very corny but I love this picture and Michael's performance is so amazing, the whole theater goes silent every time when he starts singing.

Bring this back in rotation, it's especially better than an abandoned theater.

CaptinEO

I also wanted to say back in the early 2000s when I could only read about Captain EO (no youtube), fans on micechat did act as if it was the greatest thing ever made and were very sour at Disney for replacing it.

When I finally did get to see it again as not a toddler I do have to say I didn't fully understand their point of view and was somewhat let down but as a huge fan of George Lucas, Disneyland, and Michael
Jackson I feel it's a portion of a venn diagram where all these interests meet for me.

PiratesMansion

I could see it being permanent, just look at Disneyland Paris' Space Mountain which has had a "temporary" star wars overlay on it for 8 years now.
The silver lining is that in Tokyo, things advertised as temporary actually tend to stay that way.

This also (in concert with the rest of the TDR Explorer) article sounds like a festival offering, which they used to do quite frequently pre-covid, so there will almost certainly be clearly defined, followed-to-the-letter dates in which this festival will occur, and It's a Groot World will be confined to those dates.

I'd imagine that it'd stay temporary unless people absolutely lose their minds over the Avengers overlay-which I doubt, given the complete absence of Marvel stuff there prior to this overlay.

That said, it's explicitly being framed as a holiday overlay-and although TDL used to do IASW Holiday, it hasn't done so for over a decade IIRC. So if it is a runaway success, it could wind up coming back year over year.

TP2000

With digital projection, they could rotate all of the "Tomorrowland" 3D films - Captain Eo, Honey..., and Magic Journeys.

Magic Journeys would be especially fun to see! And the older Disney fans would remember it fondly, while the younger vloggers could pretend it's "AMAAAAZING!" for Likes and Subscribes.

Maybe rotate movies every 6 hours? Start the morning with Magic Journeys, then do Captain EO in afternoons, then Honey I Shrunk The Audience at night. Do it this spring in May which is a normally slow month to get all the AP'ers to visit. And get the CM's to wear the era-appropriate uniforms for each block of shows, flip to era-appropriate fonts and signage in the lobby that vloggers could obsess over, play era-appropriate land background music in the queue and exits, during the 1980's films bring back Disneyland trash cans to the lobby with those sand-filled ashtrays on top of them, etc., etc.

Call it the Tomorrowland Film Festival!

See how easy this is TDA? It's called showmanship, ingenuity, hospitality, and using your existing capacity to its fullest. :cool:

Last edited:

TP2000

Ooh! And when they bring the park trash cans with ash trays in them out for the 1980's portion of the Tomorrowland Film Festival, get them to stamp the big Disneyland "D" in the sand like they used to do in the old days!

That was always so classy; ashtrays with the Disneyland D stamped into the sand. All the swanky places did it in the 50's to 80's, but the Disneyland D in that sand always looked particularly hilarious.

I can't find a photo on Google of the old D font stamped into ashtray sand in the park or at the Disneyland Hotel, because who in their right mind in 1974 would waste a flashbulb taking a picture of that?!? But they still do it at swanky hotels in Asia, and I found a photo online.

Imagine the Disneyland D stamped into ashtray sand, with a few well placed filtertip cigarettes squashed around it. Elegance! 🤣

kangde-international.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom