The Mine Train 'temper your expectations' thread

MerlinTheGoat

I understand what you are saying and agree to a certain point. My original point was that just as their are people who see Disney through rose colored glasses, there are also those on the other side who will criticize Disney just for the sake of criticizing, no matter what. I am seeing you would probably fall into the middle of these two extremes, as would I.
There are of course some of both (though the amount of people who think WDW has never been better should speak for itself). Comparably though I think there would be relatively few people who would continue to be unreasonably negative if things began to improve. We've seen shifts in the mood of Disney fans before and how the way the parks are treated affects the majority. Just look at Disneyland during the course of the past 15-20 years to see how moods can shift when people are given either quality or a lack thereof. Prior to it's 50th cleanup, Disneyland fans were even more negative than WDW fans are now (with WDW being the resort many people were praising more as i've heard tell while DL was in such a decline). Maintenance was so bad that it had caused death, their parks weren't getting any decent new additions, it was a horrid mess. And it was duly noted by the fanbase (particularly from Micechat and Al Lutz thanks to their articles). That changed quite quickly when the parks were cleaned up by new management and DCA got Cars Land. As things have broken (like DL's Splash Mountain recently), people have gotten upset. But when things are fixed, people are generally happy. The only real negatives people still complain about are things like Tomorrowland's current state (a fair statement as it needs work). Still, the fan community's shift in mood was quite apparent.

I think I speak for at least the vast majority of those critical of WDW- if WDW received a similar shift in management philosophy and began getting projects of quality comparable to Mystic Point and Cars Land, you'd see a lot more praise from us. But when I see an epidemic amount of broken show elements (both small and large), a lack of passion/content/substance involving new WDW ride projects, and ever rising ticket/food/hotel prices despite all the quality cuts, it becomes more and more difficult every year to find positive things to say. I don't see that as criticizing for the sake of complaining. I see it as being pragmatic and reasonable given the standards we as Disney fans (at least those of us who visited prior to the mid-late 90's) were trained by the company itself to hold them to.

For the record, I am looking forward to the Mine Train. Within reasonable expectations however, which is to say "nicely themed but short D ticket". Anything above that will be welcome. Hope there are some nice animatronics but not getting any hopes up after what Lee said... People in general however are only going to end up being disappointed if Disney or one of their social media drones like Mongello try to hype it up as anything more than it actually is.

Last edited:

tirian

Just as alarming as it is for people to attack Disney for every decision they make. Kinda works both ways, doesn't it.
No, not really. We're talking about a company.

But yeah, there are some people who only complain. That's probably how they live every day of their lives.

I don't see anyone here complaining about a good decision Disney has made. Most of the complaints in this thread are about how a company has lowered its standards and doesn't measure up to the bar it set for an industry.

Cut the nostalgia and look at this as a company, which is what it is.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All i did was come to the forum with a little information and was basically slandered and called a liar from day one. For being "Disney" fans a lot of you need to look at yourself. This site feels more like a HS clique then a forum because anybody new is shunned and treated like ****....I understand what may have happened in the past but I know from this point forward I will rarely if ever use this forum again or provide any updates on the 4 new projects we are currently bidding on. To those who showed me respect, thank you but for the rest of you keep telling your self that you are a good person or a "Disney" faithful. God bless and goodnight (and no this is not me running away because I lied and want to cover my tail but if that is what you believe then you are part of the problem here)
Don't take it personally. There is a bit of a vetting process here. In order for people to take your word as 100% true you need to establish a track record. If you decide to stick around and your info proves to be true people will come around. It's your prerogative to tell us all to go pound and not share anything too. I probably would if I were in your place. Part of the problem is you are very positive. Most of the insiders here that share information lean towards the jaded or disillusioned side of things. That's where the doubt comes from.

Sped2424

Just as alarming as it is for people to attack Disney for every decision they make. Kinda works both ways, doesn't it.
Nope those two things are not one and the same. I get that you love the company I do, if none of us did we wouldn't be here. But at the same time we are critical of their actions because we like the work that has been made by the Walt Disney Company. So when they do something that sub par or not even in the same playing field at what they used to do I think its only fair that we can call them out on it. We are not supposed to be support every single one of their actions, that's not what being a fan is about.

Last edited:

mergatroid

All i did was come to the forum with a little information and was basically slandered and called a liar from day one. For being "Disney" fans a lot of you need to look at yourself. This site feels more like a HS clique then a forum because anybody new is shunned and treated like ****....I understand what may have happened in the past but I know from this point forward I will rarely if ever use this forum again or provide any updates on the 4 new projects we are currently bidding on. To those who showed me respect, thank you but for the rest of you keep telling your self that you are a good person or a "Disney" faithful. God bless and goodnight (and no this is not me running away because I lied and want to cover my tail but if that is what you believe then you are part of the problem here)

Don't take it personally my friend, it unfortunately happens on here quite a bit. It's human nature to be suspicious especially when on an internet forum where in the past there's been things made up. Last October I started a thread after an incident at Epcot where a guy assualted several people with a stick before a passerby knocked him down and restrained him. I posted it the night it happened and slowly but surely the thread grew with doubts and one or two calling me a downright liar. A day or so later the media reported it in detail and I was vindicated. This didn't stop one particular poster claiming that the media stories didn't prove my story (though they matched perfectly in location and time etc). Apparently I made the story of a nutjob attacking people and being restrained in Epcot up on the very same night an actual nutjob attacked people and was restrained in Epcot and just got lucky :D

TP2000

I'm going to be fascinated to watch how Disney plays this new ride this spring. They clearly don't have a new E Ticket here; it's a short family-thrill coaster with modest show scenes and a couple techno effects.

Compared to the technological and architectural tour de force of Potterland 2.0 up the freeway, the Mine Train is a very modest addition to the oldest theme park in town.

So how does Disney market this thing? Do they go big and get Good Morning America to broadcast from the park for a week, with the new parade and the mine coaster as the big deal? Or do they simply open it with a small media event that does more to remind folks that Fantasyland was expanded in the last two years than it does to hype up this modest family coaster? I'm betting they go with a broader "New Fantasyland!" theme when the Mine Coaster opens, and they loop in the new parade and remind everyone about Mermaid and BoG and associated shops and eye candy.

Disney's marketing machine has a fine line to walk on this one.

Soarin' Over Pgh

You realize he's r
I'm going to be fascinated to watch how Disney plays this new ride this spring. They clearly don't have a new E Ticket here; it's a short family-thrill coaster with modest show scenes and a couple techno effects.

Compared to the technological and architectural tour de force of Potterland 2.0 up the freeway, the Mine Train is a very modest addition to the oldest theme park in town.

So how does Disney market this thing? Do they go big and get Good Morning America to broadcast from the park for a week, with the new parade and the mine coaster as the big deal? Or do they simply open it with a small media event that does more to remind folks that Fantasyland was expanded in the last two years than it does to hype up this modest family coaster? I'm betting they go with a broader "New Fantasyland!" theme when the Mine Coaster opens, and they loop in the new parade and remind everyone about Mermaid and BoG and associated shops and eye candy.

They're probably going to highlight the details and the show scenes and boast the "family friendly" aspect more than anything. I'm curious to see how they spin it too, to be honest.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I have no doubt they go big with it. They are going to continue to market it as the "Largest expansion in Magic Kingdom History". No reason to not continue what they started with the opening of the rest of FLE. They are going to have Disney Chanel stars riding the ride and they are going to market the heck out of the new parade. The floats look pretty nice and will look even better in a promotional video. They aren't going to call the ride a D ticket or compare it to anything at Universal or show a POV video of the entire ride revealing its short length. The average joe watching this will see a beautifully themed family ride and a nice new parade. It will play pretty well to the key market they are targeting when they show families with 4 year olds in mouse ears riding the mine ride.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have no doubt they go big with it. They are going to continue to market it as the "Largest expansion in Magic Kingdom History". No reason to not continue what they started with the opening of the rest of FLE. They are going to have Disney Chanel stars riding the ride and they are going to market the heck out of the new parade. The floats look pretty nice and will look even better in a promotional video. They aren't going to call the ride a D ticket or compare it to anything at Universal or show a POV video of the entire ride revealing its short length. The average joe watching this will see a beautifully themed family ride and a nice new parade. It will play pretty well to the key market they are targeting when they show families with 4 year olds in mouse ears riding the mine ride.

Wonder if they will bring out Ginnifer Goodwin and Lana Parrilla from Once Upon a Time again?

note2001

Slight shift in topic (Sorry!)
Your last line highlights the key problem with these price hikes. Who are these target families? How has Disney corporate determined that these families can still afford to take 2 adults and 2.1 (or whatever the new number is) children to Disney? I know of so many typical middle class American families who state they cannot afford even one trip. Reasons are multiple, but almost all of them come down to being financially responsible about their futures. There is no reason a family should feel the need to take out a loan to go on vacation. A new kiddie coaster will not bring them out, I don't care who they have riding it in the commercial.

Last edited:

jlsHouston

Confused as to why people think WDW would have to build as quickly as Uni. Uni is in catch up mode, not WDW. If you go every other week to WDW and are now sick of their attractions, that seems to be a personal problem.

Yes, Uni hit gold with HP. We get it. But to be reactive to that and let that guide your business would be Disney's worst mistake yet.

Well I don't know about that being Disney's worse mistake yet....I think embracing a Blue Ocean Strategy with the brand is their worse mistake yet.

MerlinTheGoat

I do wonder what's going on with that figure containing the deer, minecart and Dopey. I'm assuming that can't be anything close to the final figure, looks like styrofoam or something, really what the heck...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom