The Magic is gone!

Jamie77

Yeah, it really stinks. There are no light crowd periods anymore. You are lucky to get a day or two of light crowds here and there.. Instead the parks are always packed. Magic Kingdom this last Saturday could have been Christmas week for how packed it was.

The days of just going and doing whatever you want and enjoying yourself are long gone. It's not even the same place it was 10 years ago. That said, I still find ways to squeeze out magical moments of what is still there.

This is why I loved to spend time at a deluxe resort. Before I was all about the parks, but now I just laze around for longer periods of my resort and enjoy its amenities. If given a choice to go to a value resort just to get to WDW, I'd wait until I can go with the deluxe.

The only thing is that the days of lighter crowds on deluxe resort buses have gotten heavier when before I could count on being the only one on the bus. This isn't a problem unless it's a rainy day and a lot of wet folks are dripping on me.

NickMaio

- In a world where pessimism is the trend -
Voicing your opinion that something is not what you expected it to be, or is worse than before it not pessimistic. It is opinionated -
"Change will never happen if we all keep our mouths shut and take what we are given!"
Said by.........me

Jamie77

Yes, I have. I am 26 years old and have practically been to WDW every other year since 1995. In regards to your comment about the leisure aspect of a trip, the large crowds have not stopped me from being leisurely during my visits. Nothing is stopping me from getting a cup of coffee in the morning, from getting a nutella waffle at Sleepy Hollow, or simply taking a seat on the Rivers of America to take in the scenery and appreciate where I am.

I wanted to enjoy a trip around the Rivers of America on my last trip but the Liberty Belle was not running the day I was there. It's one of the stop and smell the roses thing I used to do on all my solo trips.

ppete1975

I would like to know how many aps they sell every year. And how many daily guests have an AP. I know I will anger a lot of people but limiting how many AP's or having a guideline (you can only go 20 times etc) you can only go on these weeks/days. Would help a lot. With how much a normal ticket is, the annual pass is honestly too cheap (just because you live in the state the park is), and being able to go to any park anytime just drives up attendance especially festival time or when new rides arrive. In the early days I'm sure that these numbers were needed but now........

please notice I'm not bashing anyone, its just another thought ive never heard mentioned.

Gshrout

Original Poster
Do you spend all of your time in the parks? There’s so much you can do in the resort itself to get away from crowds.

I think the dissatisfaction with crowds may also have to do with where people live or their other non-Disney experiences.. there’s not too many “amusement” places to go where you won’t experience crowds. I also just don’t remember Disney World ever not being crowded.. even as a kid I remember waiting in line for Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion in what seemed like forever.. and starting from outside of SM.

Or maybe..I think some of us, myself included, just change when we get older.. we become less tolerant of crowds. ;)

LOL, we stayed at the Yacht Club this last time. It was very difficult for me to walk away from the resort to go to the parks. I've been to WDW so many times that riding anything is no big deal for me. But When the grand kids are with you, my saying I'll catch it later isn't always an option. They are the ones who brought all of this on. We talked about a return trip and it was they who suggested we not go back. Imagine my surprise. I'm hearing folks in this thread talking about managing the crowds. How does a 9 yr old comprehend that. I think what the reactions that I'm seeing here are from people who may have an addiction (so to speak) of WDW. I'm the bad guy because I've spoken poorly of WDW. LMAO people need to understand this isn't about me. It's about children. Children who voiced concern and who were not enjoying WDW.

pax_65

I voice my opinion here and to Disney to elicit change - - - - if others do this we might just get things done ???

I feel the same way... I get frustrated because the WDW experience has slipped considerably and many people don't realize it (maybe because it's there first trip, maybe because in their eyes Disney never does anything wrong, etc). Sometimes I feel like I'm pointing out the obvious to people who don't see it, in the hopes that raising awareness will lead to positive change.

I'm afraid the truth, however, is that things won't change until Disney feels the impact of their management decisions in their corporate pockets. And since we're complaining about how crowded the parks are, it doesn't seem that demand is declining at this point. So you might want to hang on... it might get worse before it gets better. :(

NickMaio

I feel the same way... I get frustrated because the WDW experience has slipped considerably and many people don't realize it (maybe because it's there first trip, maybe because in their eyes Disney never does anything wrong, etc). Sometimes I feel like I'm pointing out the obvious to people who don't see it, in the hopes that raising awareness will lead to positive change.

I'm afraid the truth, however, is that things won't change until Disney feels the impact of their management decisions in their corporate pockets. And since we're complaining about how crowded the parks are, it doesn't seem that demand is declining at this point. So you might want to hang on... it might get worse before it gets better. :(

Agreed - That I why, in 11 straight trips / years, we did not go back this past summer.

Gshrout

Original Poster
If you choose to walk away from Disney, that is your own merit. Me personally, I cannot walk away from the memories, magical moments, attractions, and nostalgia that i love, enjoy and cherish when I am at WDW.
I encourage you to build the best possible memories that you can. You only live once, "Carpe Diem". :)

21stamps

LOL, we stayed at the Yacht Club this last time. It was very difficult for me to walk away from the resort to go to the parks. I've been to WDW so many times that riding anything is no big deal for me. But When the grand kids are with you, my saying I'll catch it later isn't always an option. They are the ones who brought all of this on. We talked about a return trip and it was they who suggested we not go back. Imagine my surprise. I'm hearing folks in this thread talking about managing the crowds. How does a 9 yr old comprehend that. I think what the reactions that I'm seeing here are from people who may have an addiction (so to speak) of WDW. I'm the bad guy because I've spoken poorly of WDW. LMAO people need to understand this isn't about me. It's about children. Children who voiced concern and who were not enjoying WDW.

I don’t think you’re the “bad guy”. I’ve said the same many times, people set unrealistic expectations on WDW. I’m guilty of it as well. I learned quickly that I’m responsible for my experience in dealing with the crowds and waits.

I have a 7 year old, so I get it. Trust me. When he proclaims that he wants to do something, I tell him the wait time.. and let him make the decision.. he passed on 280 minute wait for FoP, thankfully.

We were at an amusement park Sunday.. for their “Winterfest”. Worse crowds than I experienced at WDW on the Friday before Thanksgiving. On some things anyway.. want food? 20 minute wait. Want a hot chocolate? 20 minute wait. All while freezing in the cold.lol
That part stinks. With Disney, outside of Starbucks, the wait for food and drinks is typically not too bad. The rides have much more interesting queues than the amusement parks that we frequent.. with similar wait times, outside of attractions like 7DMT, Frozen, and FoP.

I won’t be visiting Disney World in the next couple of years, not because of Disney..but just because we have a list of too many places where we want to go..and not enough vacation time to accomplish them all.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
When you live here and are an AP holder it's easy to enjoy the parks. You adjust and because you can come and enjoy anytime you limit your focus on certain things you do. We come in hit a ride or two , catch some music, then take a walk around Epcot and go home, no stress, no problem.

Yep, if you set your expectations low enough you can't not have fun at the parks.

Gshrout

Original Poster
I don’t think you’re the “bad guy”. I’ve said the same many times, people set unrealistic expectations on WDW. I’m guilty of it as well. I learned quickly that I’m responsible for my experience in dealing with the crowds and waits.

I have a 7 year old, so I get it. Trust me. When he proclaims that he wants to do something, I tell him the wait time.. and let him make the decision.. he passed on 280 minute wait for FoP, thankfully.

We were at an amusement park Sunday.. for their “Winterfest”. Worse crowds than I experienced at WDW on the Friday before Thanksgiving. On some things anyway.. want food? 20 minute wait. Want a hot chocolate? 20 minute wait. All while freezing in the cold.lol
That part stinks. With Disney, outside of Starbucks, the wait for food and drinks is typically not too bad. The rides have much more interesting queues than the amusement parks that we frequent.. with similar wait times, outside of attractions like 7DMT, Frozen, and FoP.

I won’t be visiting Disney World in the next couple of years, not because of Disney..but just because we have a list of too many places where we want to go..and not enough vacation time to accomplish them all.

Love your avatar by the way. I agree, see the world.

DougK

How about Fast Pass + blackout days? I am talking specifically about Magic Kingdom. They could have one day per month with NO fast passes and just let everyone fend for themselves like the "old days". And on the same day they could take no restaurant reservations either so if you really want to eat at Be Our Guest or ride Mine Train maybe you would have a chance. Just a thought.

It would be interesting to try, to say the least.

21stamps

How about Fast Pass + blackout days? I am talking specifically about Magic Kingdom. They could have one day per month with NO fast passes and just let everyone fend for themselves like the "old days". And on the same day they could take no restaurant reservations either so if you really want to eat at Be Our Guest or ride Mine Train maybe you would have a chance. Just a thought.

It would be interesting to try, to say the least.

I’m a huge fan of FP+, especially since you could add FPs from the app.
I think I’m in the minority of that thinking though, at least on this site.lol

Here’s 2 tips that I learned (and maybe other people already knew)... of course there’s the “rope drop” strategy.. but I’m not a fan of that, at all.
My last two trips I was not able to secure 7DMT FPs for us, so last year I purchased an “upcharge offering”- called “early morning magic”. I just can’t rave about it enough.
Unfortunately, it was not offered this year during the MVMCP/Christmas span.. instead they’ve decided to open MK an hour early to all. 7DMT is our favorite ride at MK, neither of us wanted to leave without doing it.. so we got in line 5 minutes before park closing, with @ a 45 minute wait. It was perfect. I recommend trying to do the same if you can’t get a FP!

wendysue

This! We have made many trips to WDW, but our children don't want to go back, and the grandkids would rather stay at the resort and play in the pool, so we can just take them to any hotel or resort closer to home. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom