The Magic is gone!

Tom Morrow

I've heard over on the DIS that Universal has been just as busy as Disney has been.
Anecdotal, but last Saturday I was in the MK and it was jam-packed. Every ride had a CM with a "line begins here" sign way out into the walkways. Nearly every ride an hour wait or longer. I opened Universal's app to check their wait times... about 20-30 minutes for everything.

jimbojones

I do wonder what the average perception of the place is these days for those who have no previous memories or attachment to it. For me, nostalgia and my past experiences, along with hoping to share those experiences with new people, makes the parks fun enough for me. But without having been here as a child in the 90's, or frequently in the 00's before the constant massive crowds and pre-planning, what would I think of it?

Between massive crowds, endless strollers and ECVs, long waits for everything in which lines inch along due to Fastpass+, Fastpass+ that is difficult to get anything decent for if you don't do it in advance... the demographic shifting toward a more childish approach (in most cases) instead of being "for everyone"... I can totally see why the whole experience is off-putting without having experienced it either as a kid or in the better days.
The last two groups of friends who went in the past year both told me they hated it it and they couldn't understand why I like WDW so much. Both families cited the crowds as the biggest reason that they didn't enjoy their trips and both also said the kids were happier playing at the beach than they were at WDW. I no longer encourage friends who have never been to go, which might help crowd levels for us :)

SaLeone

I honestly feel that people just love to complain. No matter how good something is, people want bigger and better. I took a trip to WDW in February for the last 3 years in a row. Have crowd levels increased? Absolutely. But you know what? Me and my girlfriend were still able to ride any ride we wanted, eat whatever we wanted, catch any show we wanted and could come and go as we pleased. The fact is this - the majority of people believe things will never be as good as they used to be and truly believe that things can be bigger and better. WDW truly is my home away from home and there are still countless amounts of magical moments/memories to be made. In a world where pessimism is the trend, be the optimist. Your trip/visit/experience/moments are what you make them.

IanDLBZF

I honestly feel that people just love to complain. No matter how good something is, people want bigger and better. I took a trip to WDW in February for the last 3 years in a row. Have crowd levels increased? Absolutely. But you know what? Me and my girlfriend were still able to ride any ride we wanted, eat whatever we wanted, catch any show we wanted and could come and go as we pleased. The fact is this - the majority of people believe things will never be as good as they used to be and truly believe that things can be bigger and better. WDW truly is my home away from home and there are still countless amounts of magical moments/memories to be made. In a world where pessimism is the trend, be the optimist. Your trip/visit/experience/moments are what you make them.
This! You can still manage to have a good time no matter how busy the parks are!

disneyfirstLJ

I have been to Disney World 4 times in the last 4 years and I am currently planning another trip February 2018. My daughter and I love everything Disney has to offer. The Disney bubble is one of the reasons we like to go. Having our hotel, transportation and entertainment all in one place is priceless to us. The crowds do seem to be higher now compared to our first trip in February 2014 however, we don't really mind. We are never in a rush at Disney and try as much as possible to go with the flow. We do not enjoy the "bigger" attractions so while folks rush to Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain, we enjoy our ride on the People Mover or Carousel of Progress. When a park is too crowded for us, we just hop over to another park or to Disney Springs or visit the resorts. We did this a lot our last trip and it was so much fun. The magic is still alive and well for us!

disneyfirstLJ

I agree with you!

Tom Morrow

Did you experience the parks in the old days, when there were very hard defined busy periods and light periods? The busy periods were the way it is all the time now. The light periods were far more leisurely, laid back, and enjoyable. Yes, you can still have fun now, but it doesn't feel as special when you are constantly dodging and battling huge crowds.

Gshrout

Original Poster

SaLeone, You say we are complaining, and truer words have not been written. My complaint is that I love visiting WDW, but Disney has forgotten Walt's promise in Welcoming all those that come to this place.

I am very optimistic that I will take my grand children to somewhere they will enjoy. I have already decided that the money I would have spent at Disney in the up coming year will be a trip to Kennedy Space Center. My point in my Original Post is that many of us are walking away from Disney. My concern is will Disney survive a growing dismay of WDW from people such as myself.

Roakor

I have been to MK on a day they had to limit entrance due to capacity crowds. We still managed to ride pretty much everything. Admittedly we got there at open and stayed till 2am. Was a very long day. I to though have found myself re-considering my trips to WDW, mainly due to the large crowds. I think if I lived closer and had an AP it wouldn't be a big deal. I'd just do my FPs and go home if it was too crowded. But that is not the case for me. After our last trip we too have been questioning whether we want to go again or maybe do something else next time. Give Universal a try. In all likely hood we will be back at WDW.

On a side note, as much as I like using the FPs I wish they would get rid of them.

Amos1784

While the parks are obviously the major draw to going to Disney there are SO many things you can experience outside of the parks if you are feeling that overwhelmed with the crowds. The mornings are still very manageable in the parks, and I highly suggest utilizing the fast passes you can get after using your initial 3, so what if it is just Dumbo, or the Seas with Nemo, ride it I guarantee you will enjoy it. We just returned from being there 10 days over Thanksgiving and every morning got in multiple rides with little to no wait. When the crowds (and in summer) the heat hit mid day take a break. Play a game in your hotel room, go for a swim, schedule a lunch at a resort (Sanaa comes to mind) enjoy everything there is to offer. It's vacation and while some people I know feel they are not getting their money worth (and I understand that point) unless they are spending sun up to sun down and beyond at the parks, it causes more stress/exhaustion, therefore leading to a disappointment. Sorry you didn't have a good trip hopefully you can re-visit in the future!

SaLeone

Did you experience the parks in the old days, when there were very hard defined busy periods and light periods? The busy periods were the way it is all the time now. The light periods were far more leisurely, laid back, and enjoyable. Yes, you can still have fun now, but it doesn't feel as special when you are constantly dodging and battling huge crowds.

Yes, I have. I am 26 years old and have practically been to WDW every other year since 1995. In regards to your comment about the leisure aspect of a trip, the large crowds have not stopped me from being leisurely during my visits. Nothing is stopping me from getting a cup of coffee in the morning, from getting a nutella waffle at Sleepy Hollow, or simply taking a seat on the Rivers of America to take in the scenery and appreciate where I am.

21stamps

SaLeone, You say we are complaining, and truer words have not been written. My complaint is that I love visiting WDW, but Disney has forgotten Walt's promise in Welcoming all those that come to this place.

I am very optimistic that I will take my grand children to somewhere they will enjoy. I have already decided that the money I would have spent at Disney in the up coming year will be a trip to Kennedy Space Center. My point in my Original Post is that many of us are walking away from Disney. My concern is will Disney survive a growing dismay of WDW from people such as myself.

Do you spend all of your time in the parks? There’s so much you can do in the resort itself to get away from crowds.

I think the dissatisfaction with crowds may also have to do with where people live or their other non-Disney experiences.. there’s not too many “amusement” places to go where you won’t experience crowds. I also just don’t remember Disney World ever not being crowded.. even as a kid I remember waiting in line for Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion in what seemed like forever.. and starting from outside of SM.

Or maybe..I think some of us, myself included, just change when we get older.. we become less tolerant of crowds. ;)

SaLeone

If you choose to walk away from Disney, that is your own merit. Me personally, I cannot walk away from the memories, magical moments, attractions, and nostalgia that i love, enjoy and cherish when I am at WDW.

pax_65

Is Disney a good vacation value? Until recently I've always argued that it is, because while you spend a lot you get a tremendous amount in return.

But in recent years things have changed. Waiting in lines isn't my idea of fun. Getting an additional "day of" FP for something that was always a walk-on (and now has a 45-minute wait) and then having to wait around doing the Disney shuffle until it's time to use it doesn't thrill me either. And while I totally enjoy hanging by the resort pool with a beer in my hand, I'm not really maximizing the value of that Parkhopper pass while doing that. (I'm tempted to buy a 1-day pass to Magic Kingdom and 1-day in Animal Kingdom to see Pandora and then spending the other 6 days of my vacation sitting by the pool. :) )

A lot of factors are going into the crowds. New attractions are desperately needed especially ones with a large capacity. Magic Kingdom is especially bad now because in addition to being the most popular park, Epcot and the Studios have so many attractions down/under construction. The layout of Animal Kingdom doesn't handle crowds that great - and of course everyone wants to ride Flight of Passage and see Pandora so that area will be packed. It seems like Park Hours are shorter than they used to be. No evening parade in MK means no jumping on attractions while people are watching the parade. Magic Kingdom is closed 3-4 nights a week in December for the Christmas Party, so the park is much more crowded on the evenings when it's open - and Epcot especially will be more crowded when the party is taking place. The Christmas Party and special Christmas events/decorations draw people to the parks especially locals. Finally, FP+ has changed how the standby lines work - drawing so few people from the lines that they barely move.

21stamps

Does anyone think that Disney may have made such elaborate queues because they anticipated people standing in them? ;)

Fwiw, I was there 2 weeks ago..one park day only, we did 3 Parks that day.. it was crowded, we didn’t get to do “everything”, I didn’t have fast passes prior to the morning that we went to a park. We had an amazing time.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

21stamps

I definitely agree that the crowd levels are ridiculous these days...buuuuuut I also think too many people expect Disney to do all the work. A Disney trip is what you make of it.

I think this applies to anywhere as well. Sometimes crowds are just miserable, that’s happened to me before. But you have to make the best of it.
From Disney to an amusement park to a zoo to a museum to Great Wolf Lodge, the most “complaints” you will hear are the ones talking about crowds/wait times. There’s a reason places are popular to each of us, and there are going to be many other people who will choose to go because of those same reasons. Can’t fault an establishment for being popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom