The Magic is gone!

Tom Morrow

I remember this to be true only about 10 years ago. I think alot has to do with the staff be overwhelmed. There is just no down time and the crowds keep getting bigger and bigger. With these bigger crowds comes more frustrated guests that feel they are not getting their moneys worth.
Yeah, they are pushed by management for efficiency efficiency efficiency to the point where trying to play up the part in addition to all the other stress isn't worth it. There are always a handful of CM's working at Tower of Terror that will always play up the part, however.

Incomudro

After doing a little reflection on my last two trips, I do remember something that left me a little confused. I figured I would post in here rather than create a new thread, hoping you all could comment on it.

Anyways, while on Haunted Mansion and ToT, I was pretty disappointed in the cast members. As a child, I remember them really selling the part of the creepy haunted house and elevator staff. It made the experience so much more real for me. Was that my imagination? Or did cast members in the past really act in their respective roles on those rides?

About two "Mays" ago, my son and I rode ToT and we had the best cast member I have ever had.
She really sold the boarding with a stern quality and showmanship.
Her timing was excellent.
Just before the doors closed, she said "Wait, there's one more thing I forgot to tell you..."
The doors closed before she could finish, and she put her two hands on the glass as we left her.
Excellent.
I've searched to see if there is any video of her doing this routine, but I haven't found anything.

Last edited:

Hayley In Wonderland

And that was a disaster! Mr. Toad's ride was awesome. And Pooh's Adventures at MK is a really sad imitation of Pooh's Honey Hunt at TDL.

TDL Pooh's Honey Hunt:

Magic Kingdom's Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh:

Not to be THAT person here, but wasn't the Pooh ride in WDW opened in mid 1999 and the TDL opened in late 2000? Therefore it can't be an imitation as it existed before the one in TDL?

jencor

We also went the first two weeks in December and was shocked by how crowded it was. We use to like the beginning of December because it was not crowded and had the Christmas things up. We still enjoyed ourselves, but not in comparison to previous trips, and we spent more then in previous years and felt many times we were just hanging around waiting or wondering what we were going to do. Waiting for three to five hours to ride FoP or up to two hours for Na'vi River is not an option I feel I paid for. Try staying off Disney and get fast passes for FoP or 7Dwarfs. Does not happen. I feel I paid so much for the trip and they blocked me out. I am sure if I had season passes and lived close by, I would feel different. But when you only have a few days in a trip to try and do everything and end up spending hours in one ride, the magic kind of disappears. I would love to spend time just enjoying Disney and not trying to do most of the rides, but when you go just every two years, that option really does not exist so much, but those that can I bet enjoy the Magic so much more. We did Universal this time too and so much enjoyed it and got to do all the rides. Yes, the Magic is still there some, but we are going to come back and do Universal next time and just relax and enjoy Florida without having to plan like crazy for months on rides and food just so we can stand in long lines next time.

DisneyDoctor

About two "Mays" ago, my son and I rode ToT and we had the best cast member I have ever had.
She really sold the boarding with a stern quality and showmanship.
Her timing was excellent.
Just before the doors closed, she said "Wait, there's one more thing I forgot to tell you..."
The doors closed before she could finish, and she put her two hands on the glass as we left her.
Excellent.
I've searched to see if there is any video of her doing this routine, but I haven't found anything.
That's super refreshing to hear! I wish to see that again!

pax_65

We also went the first two weeks in December and was shocked by how crowded it was. We use to like the beginning of December because it was not crowded and had the Christmas things up. We still enjoyed ourselves, but not in comparison to previous trips, and we spent more then in previous years and felt many times we were just hanging around waiting or wondering what we were going to do. Waiting for three to five hours to ride FoP or up to two hours for Na'vi River is not an option I feel I paid for. Try staying off Disney and get fast passes for FoP or 7Dwarfs. Does not happen. I feel I paid so much for the trip and they blocked me out. I am sure if I had season passes and lived close by, I would feel different. But when you only have a few days in a trip to try and do everything and end up spending hours in one ride, the magic kind of disappears. I would love to spend time just enjoying Disney and not trying to do most of the rides, but when you go just every two years, that option really does not exist so much, but those that can I bet enjoy the Magic so much more. We did Universal this time too and so much enjoyed it and got to do all the rides. Yes, the Magic is still there some, but we are going to come back and do Universal next time and just relax and enjoy Florida without having to plan like crazy for months on rides and food just so we can stand in long lines next time.

This almost perfectly describes my recent trips. We had a good time but when you think about it and compare it to previous trips, you realize that 1) you paid a lot more than years past, and 2) you enjoyed yourself less. The value is not what it used to be. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom