The Living Seas News: What to Expect in 2005/2006

lunalovegoddess

ssidiouss@mac.c :

I'm new to the boards here, and I must say that I'm glad not everyone shares the contempt that you obviously hold for this project. While I understand your desire to return EPCOT to the park it used to be, flaming other people and/or insulting people is never the way to get them to come around to your way of thinking. In fact, it is a surefire way to burn into their memories that you are acting immature, and they will not pay you any attention. You don't like the way the park is being run? Then I suggest, politely, of course, that you do something about it. If you have an idea that you think would improve the parks, then apply for a job there. Or, since you most likely have a job that you enjoy, take the time on your next visit to EPCOT to answer a few questions from the nice cast members that greet you. It takes a few seconds to fill out the survey via email in the privacy of your own home. It's very easy to complain about the way the park is run, and quite another to actually participate in its improvement.
a "soccer mom"

*smiles at the thought of improvements*
Now, for the record, I will miss the hydrolaters. If you've been to the Living Seas as many times as I have, though, a change is long overdue. The very first trip to WDW for me was when I was a teen. One of the first things that I did was to take the Sea Cabs. There will always be things that I miss about EPCOT, but I see the need for some changes. Currently, the queue for Turtle Talk stretches back to the gift shop during periods of high volume. For the first time in years I have seen lines outside of the Living Seas waiting to get into the holding tank (as I mentally refer to the pre-show area). Obviously, something is working. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how this turns out. If using Finding Nemo characters will help to boost the interest in preserving our oceans, then I'm all for it.
*hopes that the key elements are not overshadowed by a little clownfish*

Empress Room

marni1971 said:
After DCA, DCA`s ToT, WDSP, Stitch and especially Imagination etc. they know they are being watched very carefully. Hopefully the dark days are past.

Marni, although I agree with you in principle, I have to disagree with you if your criticisms of DCA and DCA's ToT are blanket generalities. I just got back from Disneyland and DCA (first trip since 1995 to Disneyland - pre-DCA -and a topic for a completely different thread) and I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised.

After hearing all of the criticism of DCA being "built on the cheap," I expected the worst. What I found was a very nice and creative theme park (obviously missing the tradition and warmth of Disneyland), but a very solid park indeed. Grizzly River Rapids, Soarin' and even the much-maligned Paradise Pier area were all well themed, imaginative and, most importantly, a lot of fun. DCA's ToT, although smaller than WDW's, contains show elements and details that make it a super headliner that would easily fit into MGM's footprint and blueprint for a quality thrill ride. Bigger isn't necessarily better...as Disneyland's Space Mountain can attest. (Version 2.0 of this attraction will blow you away - I am incredibly jealous that WDW's Space Mountain is now the ugly cousin in great need of a rehab.)

Most importantly, DCA was packed on August 11, 12 and 13 and guests were enjoying the park. Although your criticisms have some merit, in my view, those same criticisms are unnecessarily harsh.

FigmentJedi

Empress Room said:
After hearing all of the criticism of DCA being "built on the cheap," I expected the worst. What I found was a very nice and creative theme park (obviously missing the tradition and warmth of Disneyland), but a very solid park indeed. Grizzly River Rapids, Soarin' and even the much-maligned Paradise Pier area were all well themed, imaginative and, most importantly, a lot of fun. DCA's ToT, although smaller than WDW's, contains show elements and details that make it a super headliner that would easily fit into MGM's footprint and blueprint for a quality thrill ride.
Most importantly, DCA was packed on August 11, 12 and 13 and guests were enjoying the park. Although your criticisms have some merit, in my view, those same criticisms are unnecessarily harsh.
Well, if you considered the rumor that they are renaming and retheming the park due to all the bad press and that California Screamin is closed indefinitely...

Pongo

Tahu said:
Well, if you considered the rumor that they are renaming and retheming the park due to all the bad press and that California Screamin is closed indefinitely...

There is only going to be a renaming, not a total retheming. And even that is a rumor of sorts. California Screamin' didn't contribute to the renaming. TDA has been removing the DCA logo from the many places it used to be slowly over the years.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
A note on Imagination...

Today it had a wait (and I waited!!!) and every vehicle was full and all the kids liked it. Pretty much every one asked their parents for a Figment after they got off. Imageworks was packed and people in general were enjoying the place.

Plus, for the first time everything was synched, timed, lit, sounded, etc.. properly, so it was an "ok" experience. I know i prefer the older version, but the latest isn't entirely without merit. So, hope is not lost at WDI.

dxwwf3

Actually this trip we had to wait 15 minutes for JIIWF the first time we saw it (It was a walk on for the 2nd ride, but it was at night) and everything worked much better than on previous visits.

Actually it was HISTA that didn't have the wait for a change. But the show was over 3/4 full both times we saw it. So it's still doing very well. But since the show used to be so popular when it was new that it had large waits, it will probably be looked down upon because now it is ONLY filling up it's shows without leftover queues. Don't you hate when that happens to certain shows at the parks? ;)

General Grizz

Original Poster
JIyI and JIIw/F is NOT the complete product of "Imagineers." Certain Imagineering executives and the overall style are pretty much to blame.

David Mumford and Kevin Rafferty did the "clean up" work, but the same setup still exists...for now.

SirGoofy

A bit of topic, but...

JIIwF has waaay to bad of a rap. It is a GOOD ride. Not a great ride, like the original, but good none the less. Can it be better? Yes. But given what the Imagineers had to work with I have to say they pulled of a pretty entertaining ride. It isn't meant to be a huge draw like M:S or TT, but it is meant to entertain and I think it does a pretty good job...That's not to say that I don't want Dreamfinder back... :lookaroun

donaldfan said:
Does anyone think they will be using the same projection system as the Nemo re-do of the subs ride in DisneyLand?

That's what I was thinking, too. Has it been discussed earlier it's going to be the same? I've just been assuming it will be.

DarkMeasures

Even though the Living Seas is still fine the way it is. I do like how the seacabs track is being expanded. I also hope that the pavilian makes for an awsome experience. I kinda hate the idea of Nemo but it is kinda of a perfect match. Nemo was about undersea life and well, it just fits. I just hope that Disney starts writing original attraction stories soon or stop relying on Pixar liscences.

JeffH

If they can remove the hydrolators, they can also move the hydrolators.

I see no reason why they can't move the hydrolators forward and cut a new entrance straight into the hydrolators. Then the current line area, turnstile area, and waiting room could be converted into additional display area (or ride area for the sea cabs) in Sea Base Alpha...and the theatre would also be part of Sea Base Alpha showing a series of different 'educational' sea films.

KumbaRider

JeffH said:
I see no reason why they can't move the hydrolators forward and cut a new entrance straight into the hydrolators. Then the current line area, turnstile area, and waiting room could be converted into additional display area (or ride area for the sea cabs) in Sea Base Alpha...and the theatre would also be part of Sea Base Alpha showing a series of different 'educational' sea films.

True, I do agree. But primarily I'm going to keep an open mind and hope for the best. I have faith in WDI, look how awesome Soarin' turned out.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Empress Room said:
Marni, although I agree with you in principle, I have to disagree with you if your criticisms of DCA and DCA's ToT are blanket generalities. I just got back from Disneyland and DCA (first trip since 1995 to Disneyland - pre-DCA -and a topic for a completely different thread) and I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised.

After hearing all of the criticism of DCA being "built on the cheap," I expected the worst. What I found was a very nice and creative theme park (obviously missing the tradition and warmth of Disneyland), but a very solid park indeed. Grizzly River Rapids, Soarin' and even the much-maligned Paradise Pier area were all well themed, imaginative and, most importantly, a lot of fun. DCA's ToT, although smaller than WDW's, contains show elements and details that make it a super headliner that would easily fit into MGM's footprint and blueprint for a quality thrill ride. Bigger isn't necessarily better...as Disneyland's Space Mountain can attest. (Version 2.0 of this attraction will blow you away - I am incredibly jealous that WDW's Space Mountain is now the ugly cousin in great need of a rehab.)

I guess I was generalising. Regarding DCA, I meant the problem of building a park about California in California - taking into account the plans for WESTCot, watching them get watered down, until DCA was born. Believe me, one tenth of the theming and detail at DCA would go down a treat at WDSP, but compare DCA to TDS (roughly planned & built at the same time, allbeit by different budget methods) or even DCA to Disneyland and it`s like chalk and cheese..

Regarding the ToT, I was refering to the 5th Dimension cut for the sake of budget; on Eisners orders to save money. Yes, WDW`s ToT 5thD has technical problems with AGV tracking, but there are a dozen methods that could have been implemented in the other towers to eliminate the problem.

As DCA and DCA`s ToT stand they are in their own right good, maybe great, creations. It`s when you start comparing them to either their elders or what could have been the shortcomings become apparent. Team Disney Anaheim and Burbank have and are trying every marketing trick in the book (and making some new ones up too) to increase DCA`s attendence at a time when it`s next door neighbour is burtsing at the seams. Dermographics are different in Anaheim that Orlando, Paris or Tokyo, and the choice of park subject, budget and content is surely showing.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Like DCA as you may, but its attendance is still suffering (numerically, not necessarily visually). . . the new image is needed, and it's good that current Disneyland management accepts that reality.

Biff215

I apologize for continuing the thread drift, but is a name change now likely to happen at DCA? I remember the rumors a while back about a complete retheming, but I didn't know this was still being looked at.

Although I do understand that DCA is simply not drawing enough guests, I have to say I definitely enjoyed the park when I visited in 2002 (before a lot was added). It certainly is layed out a little funny, but we really enjoyed the theming.

Empress Room

General Grizz said:
Like DCA as you may, but its attendance is still suffering (numerically, not necessarily visually). . . the new image is needed, and it's good that current Disneyland management accepts that reality.

I have the feeling that whatever theme and theme park sit in the shadows of the tradition and creativity of Walt's amazing Disneyland will undoubtedly be compared unfavorably - both in content and in hard attendance numbers. Any new image, IMHO, will only marginally change those hard facts. Disneyland is a true classic...and it hasn't looked better (WDW's Main Street cannot even hold a candle to Disneyland's).

My point is simply that DCA suffers more from Disneyland envy than from any real failures by the imagineers and/or bean counters.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
farewell to the hydrolators....... you will be missed by me. :wave:

on the other hand.... im looking forward to seeing the seacab section get rehabbed. bout' time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom