The Living Seas News: What to Expect in 2005/2006

General Grizz

Original Poster
Although I wasn't able to give the building the farewell it deserves, this news with permission granted from D-Troops HQ...
The Living Seas Rehab - August 31 - Late November (27th? 30th)

Essentially, the Living Seas will be shut down for two major change phases.

Phase one: August-November 2005 - the refurbishment of main Seabase Alpha
Phase two: 2005 - ? 2006 - the change to the current preshow areas

In November, guests will likely be routed through the current Living Seas exit area and into the Living Seas seabase. It is likely that the hydrolators will be removed as this will most likely serve as the main entrance to the building. A brand new sign will be erected, perhaps with a similar splash effect but with some nice modifications.

It is my guess that the main modules - Find Nemo, Bruce's Sub Shack, and Turtle Talk with Crush - will likely remain. Further "modernization" and "Nemofication" will likely be brought into the upper modules, as well as the manatee areas on both levels. New carpeting, new painting, the works. Nemo and friends will definitely step in with film/character-inspired artwork that will appear throughout the building.

I find the rumor of the hydrolators closing as unfortunate. Think about it - how much imagination went into creating and building them. You'll find posts today of people asking if they actually went up and down - it's so effective and required a lot of know-how and brain power. What I *really* want to see in this project is new brain-power and a great way for us to "enter the sea" (and not an aquarium). So for that, we'll have to wait a few months.

Okay, so it's November 2005, and you find yourself loving the new Living Seas. But that's only half the building open for you. . .

In 2006, the Finding Nemo ride will likely open to guests. Because the new fiscal year is coming up, it might be that new money will be pumped in for this project alone, making the entire building's budget just right for good show quality. It is rumored that the old ride track (Sea Cabs) will be replaced with about 80-100 ft. of new track added. Already, crews have probably already begun knocking down walls in the preshow area in order to clear space for queue area and other story elements for the ride. The inspired artwork and artifacts in the first queue line may not make it, but perhaps ONE of the two theaters (perhaps the one unused right now) may stay intact for some form of theater show or preshow film for the ride. At least one will likely be demolished. The track for the ride might extend into what was the pavilion's gateway into the hydrolators/preshow at the building's closing.

It is undetermined if the ride will keep the current vehicles, or if they will have totally new ones (for safety reasons), and this could help explain the "new track" rumor. Because the Nemo hollograms will likely have audio, will vehicles be dispatched individually or in groups? Who knows, maybe the Rocket Rods will find a home disguised as sea exploration vehicles. But that came out of "the blue." The ride (which was at one point going to be a walk-through in more recent concepts) will be INSANELY popular... so will Fastpass be brought on? There's room for the setup...

Show quality? I doubt we'll find a single speaker stickin' out in sight. At The Land, the planning began with Soarin' (which began construction in August of 2003) and THEN the Land pavilion (January 2005) and most of the funding was not in the food court/atrium area, but rather in the Soarin' section, which turned out absolutely brilliant. Even the roofing is pristine and adds to the show quality. But because so much was pumped in there, it seems like the team was crunching for budget, which might account for the visible speakers and cheaper fencing materials, as well as the generic theming of Seasons. (The larger portion of the atrium/food court budget went into knocking everything old out and replacing the floors!)

Here at The Living Seas, it's rumored that the old Spaceship Earth rehab funds (SSE originally scheduled to close this year at some point in time) are being pumped into the project. And then a new budget for 2006 will clear the way for better show quality and enjoyment of the ride, ensuring a good, solid refreshening throughout the whole building. As for Spaceship Earth, a new sponsor might be able to fund that refurbishment -- hopefully!

But overall, great things might be coming out of this project. I once again stress the need for Disney to address the actual, factual, and perhaps even historical aspects of sea and man's interaction with it. Nemo and Dory and pals can be great hosts, but they need to be telling an important story about the seas and mankind's quests -- Epcot has a dedication plaque. The design team is a great one I hear, and so long as the facts are hosted by the fantasy, the Living Seas message can be translated to guests in a more effective means than ever!

CTXRover

I'm genuinly excited about this rehab. I know some are worried that they are just going to slap Nemo around and it will become "Nemo's Living Seas". However, given the Nemo areas already added, I see no reason yet to question that they will keep the mix of education and inspiration alive but make it interesting to kids by using familiar and popular characters. Look at the amount of facts presented in the new Shark area. Its A LOT more than just some nice photo-ops with sharks (which it is too ;) ). The two main walls are loaded with shark facts, the old video monitors provide shark related trivia games and even the area in the back that looks like a play area is loaded with shark facts...some which are primarily only accessible to the little tykes. The same level of educational opportunites can be seen in the Nemo and friends area.

Many aquariums nation-wide would fall head over heals to have the opportunity Disney has here to generate interest in the oceans and marinelife using popular characters to tell the story. How many aquariums were riding the Nemo "wave" to persuade kids to come to their aquariums to see the "real" Nemo's? The only downside? The pavilion will probably become much more popular which means a less relaxing place to just sit and watch the fish with just a few other families.

Thanks Grizz for the info :)

Biff215

I know a lot of people are very concerned about this rehab, but I'm willing to give WDI a chance on this one. IASW and Soarin' really blew me away, so maybe we're looking at something on that level. I'm excited to see new life being breathed into LS, as it has been lacking that certain something in my opinion. Maybe some version of the old Sea Cabs will fill this need.

Thanks Grizz for the great information!

General Grizz

Original Poster
Biff215 said:
I know a lot of people are very concerned about this rehab, but I'm willing to give WDI a chance on this one. IASW and Soarin' really blew me away, so maybe we're looking at something on that level. I'm excited to see new life being breathed into LS, as it has been lacking that certain something in my opinion. Maybe some version of the old Sea Cabs will fill this need.

Thanks Grizz for the great information!
Remember that WDI has so many levels. The Land team had a different team and budget than the Living Seas project. Ultimately, TLS is getting money because Nemo is marketable.

CTX -- the shark area *IS* great! Kinda a more modern Wonders of Life-style funhouse. I really enjoy all of the information presented there. I definitely think Turtle Talk needs a bit more education (when Dory comes, nothing is there!) -- but I really think sea exploration and man's interaction needs to be stretched out more as that's WHY the Living Seas is there in the first place! :)

dxwwf3

Excellent read Grizz and it does seem that there is alot of potential here. If WDI can get the job done here, I will definately be able to start looking at potential replacements with more confidence.

Connor002

sounds good,but i would be sad to see the hydrolators go, i thought they were a great way to enter the sea base, and they obviously worked a lot to make them so believable and realsitic, and i think it was just a great way to explain how you get to the sea base

OmegaKnight

This is all true. I was told the exact same thing today by someone in the know. The lines for Turtle Talk were insane all day, easily the longest I had ever seen this show get.

the-reason14

I to will be sad to see the hydrolaters leave, but progress is progress, and sometimes we have to move on. I really cant wait to see the outcome. :)

Shaman

Anyone think WDI may hold back a bit with this pavilion...just in case they want make use of the "ocean" theme on a bigger scale elsewhere like AK..or a different park? I've always felt this is one of the reasons they've let the pavilion practically rot, over the years.

In any case, I hope these huge finishing touches will be good ones...

Connor002

objr said:
Anyone think WDI may hold back a bit with this pavilion...just in case they want make use of the "ocean" theme on a bigger scale elsewhere like AK..or a different park? I've always felt this is one of the reasons they've let the pavilion practically rot, over the years.

In any case, I hope these huge finishing touches will be good ones...

do you mean like a WDW disneySea?

i would love for that to come here

diddy_mouse

Thanx for the read Grizz! Being a fan of TLS, I welcome the rehab but will miss the old aspects of the area. Still...change is good and I will accept it :king:

EpcotMark

Glad to see that Spaceship Earth wont be closing anytime soon. Both Seas and and SSE need to stay relevent and important. I hope Nemo characters dont take away from the wonder of one of the largest ocean environments in the world. What I would like to see more of is cast members standing by the aquarium windows there to tell about and answer questions about the Animals like they do in parts of the Animal Kingdom.

Hope everything stays relevent and informative.

Horizons1

So long old LS and hello new one. As long as their is still a story that will fit in at EPCOT and an educational aspect to it, I will be happy. But from everything that I read it sounds promising. Let us hope....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom