The junk yards gone

jmvd20

I for one like Catastrophe canyon and the backlot tour in general. It does indeed need some TLC and better maintenance but there is no way it is a "horrible" attraction, at least IMHO.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I for one like Catastrophe canyon and the backlot tour in general. It does indeed need some TLC and better maintenance but there is no way it is a "horrible" attraction, at least IMHO.

IMHO it is, so there.

MGM is only there to make Universal look good.

JLW11Hi

Soo..

Costume shop... actually still is in use, just not very often.

Prop houses... who cares, they were from TV shows from 1989.

Earful Tower... its not rusty at all... (???)

Boneyard... DID YOU NOT READ THE THREAD? It's not gone, they just replaced the props with stuff from newer movies.

You guys keep saying that they should take out the Backlot Tour to free up space. But believe me when I say this... it wouldn't really free up much at all. It barely takes up any space, so why not just keep it as long as people are still riding it? Especially when its one of the few things that can be considered a "Ride" in the Studios, for the guests that complain about the lack of rides.

Well, I don't really think writing letters to "Disney" is going to get them to change their minds. It isn't profitable to use Disney-MGM Studios as a working studio, and it doesn't even make much sense to film or animate anything there when all of their main production is done in LA. They've already made their decision, and the new direction of the park is to be a completely illusionary Hollywood/Studio.

Well apparently since they still have the Backlot Tour attraction as it is, they haven't gone to being a completely illusionary Hollywood/Studio. They still act as if there is production going on here. They send you through costuming and prop houses as if these are serious "backstage movie" stuff. Maybe closing it wouldn't free up much space, but it would allow them to spend money on something else instead of keeping up an old, worn out ride that noone really likes.

If they really want to keep this attraction up, they could totally revamp the ride and send you through an actually interesting "fake" studio tour. I mean, if you are going to lie to the guests, you might as well make it interesting and entertaining! Send guests through cool looking sets based on actual sets from popular movies, or put up a decent storage facility to house the cars and things instead of having them lie in a ditch next to the road. Maybe even add in some more of the ol' reliable "and then something goes wrong" routine where the tram goes out of control or something.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Who the heck said the Backlot Tour isn't horrible?

Have you been on it lately?!?

If the water tank show works, it's abysmal. You can't see the screens, and if you can, it's based on a film no one really liked. Did anyone really like Pearl Harbor? Does anyone in this day and age care..? The answer is no.. It really needs to be changed, even if it's just to fix the TVs and remove all references of Pearl Harbor and just be "oh look, we have a neat water tank."

Now - going on it without the water tank.. wow, that's just even more horrible. They make you wait and watch the horrible pre-show twice rather then the water tank. That's torture. "Pearl Harbor was amazing.. You'll get to see how we made Pearl Harbor.. My amazing wonderful Pearl Harbor I directed myself, ME ME ME!" twice mind you. Then you walk right past it. They do that regularly. Tell me that's not horrible.

Then you walk to the tram, yay! The tram goes.. and sees.. the water tower! Yay!

After that, you round a corner, they mention a TV show that is no longer in production, you see the side of some buildings, the CM parking garage, then u-turn and enter the costume building.

If nothing is going on, it's abysmal. If something is going on, it's alright. If you're really unluckey, there's something about Pearl Harbor. That lasts 10-15 seconds, then you go past paint/props, for another 10-15 seconds, and then out behind LMAX.

Ooo.. a stadium. Oo.. cars. It's like the tram we took into the park this morning! Oo, aaah! Seriously, this is crap, complete and utter crap.

Highlight: Walt's Plane. Yay! 15 seconds.

Catastrophe Canyon. We pull up, we wait, we listen to the whole show run for the tram before us, so we know what's gonna happen. We're not particularly enthusiastic. We go in, we come out, we drive around the back..

Meh. Moving on, we drive past some rusting junk, and they drop us off.

That's literally all you see. Nothing else. It's a complete waste of space and time. The water tank needs to be redone and the tram part needs to be redone. It's a complete mess.

iheartdisney91

wait are you talking about the things from who framed roger rabbit and the strret car from indiana jones?? the stuff in the back lot tour? the tour will kinda be empty now.

DisneyChik17

wait are you talking about the things from who framed roger rabbit and the strret car from indiana jones?? the stuff in the back lot tour? the tour will kinda be empty now.

That has long been removed. I think they were only there the first time I went 9 years ago and were taken out shortly after.

I miss that stuff. The boxes that said "Do not open" so of course you did. They had the cool sound effects. They also had a cutout of Jessica Rabbit. I love WFRR?

jmvd20

Who the heck said the Backlot Tour isn't horrible?

Have you been on it lately?!?

I would be the one who said, and will say again, that I do not think the Backlot tour is a horrible attraction.

I was on it last May, and I enjoyed it - it does need work - it does need updating - but many things at WDW need that as well. I am in no way, shape, or form saying it is a great attraction. I am simply stating my opinion, that it is nowhere near a "horrible" attraction.

Yes, I am in the small minority on this one - I know that which is why I have said it twice now. :p

iheartdisney91

That has long been removed. I think they were only there the first time I went 9 years ago and were taken out shortly after.

I miss that stuff. The boxes that said "Do not open" so of course you did. They had the cool sound effects. They also had a cutout of Jessica Rabbit. I love WFRR?

oh the things in the shop? im sooo confused!!!!

Gorjus

After listening to you all whine about the back lot tour (by the way, there is NO WHINING at Disney World), I went on it. It is NOT horrible.

What newer Disney movie involves boats, ships, and war that they should replace Pearl Harbor with?

My only complaint is with not being able to hear or understand the tour guide who talks fast.

It is a cute trick to say you are going onto a set that is on a break only to have catastrophe canyon break out. Just because you have seen it a hundred times doesn't mean those who haven't shouldn't enjoy it.

Other than game shows and the Mickey Mouse club, the last Drama series filmed on property would be either Sheena or Wonder Boy or Super Boy.

A lot of the joy of the tour is being back stage...not only to the movies/TV, but to the Disney MGM Studios. I am backstage a lot near the tram tour and often find myself waving to the guests. As a guest I enjoyed seeing back stage; people on breaks, supplies being delivered.

Again, like any attraction, if you don't like it skip it and make more room for the rest of us who do enjoy it.

PS: the boneyard is not gone. There are still 2 1/2 rows of props including the bone cages from Pirates 2.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Yuo do realize with a giant water tank they can create a whole new show based on anything that involves a scene in water.. like.. i dunno.. Pirates?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This will bring a tear to your eye - the original 2 hour tour...

Attachments

• MGM original tours.jpg
    MGM original tours.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 125

mousermerf

Account Suspended
You know, i never went to MGM prior to like 2001 or 2002, so that map i so foreign to me.. I have issue figuring out where the tram tour actually started. I always assumed it started when it starts now. Apparently not.

NautOneFL

It's there....

Funny thing - the fiance and I went to the LMA stunt show and there in all its glory is the boneyard albeit in two places - behind the stadium and along the north exit point (go to the bathrooms and turn right).

So the junkyard has been rearranged. Panic's over!

-J

disneywy

You know, i never went to MGM prior to like 2001 or 2002, so that map i so foreign to me.. I have issue figuring out where the tram tour actually started. I always assumed it started when it starts now. Apparently not.

Ah yes, the original tour. The current queue for the animation tour was the queue for the original backlot tour. The current entrance and water tank show was an entirely different tour which included a green screen test using the bee from "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids". My brother and I were picked to be in that part of the tour and was the highlight of our trip.

PintoColvig

This will bring a tear to your eye - the original 2 hour tour...
Yep, I'm teary-eyed. I remember the old tour. I remember walking through the soundstages--back when they actually filmed on them--and seeing the "From the Earth to the Moon" set. I remember the animation tour when Mulan was being put together. And I remember being on the tram and seeing a handwritten sign inside one of the windows in the backstage area that said "Jim Henson's office". I'm sure it was a prank by one of Henson's employees. Sadly, I saw it just days after he suddenly died.

MGM is broken and needs to be fixed. There are some great things there (ToT, RnRC, Streetmosphere) and some things that can be great again with a refurb or tech upgrades (GMR, Star Tours, Muppets). But overall, it has too many shows and not enough rides. It needs another dark ride or two (in addition to the upcoming Toy Story Mania). I say axe the Backlot Tour and reclaim that space for a new section of the park. Then they need to develop two or three rides from some classic movies. Also, they can axe Indy and use the space and the adjacent parking lot for an Indy ride clone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom