The junk yards gone

haveyoumetmark

The last time we saw it was in December of last year and we were looking forward to it but we waited in line for quite some time and were rushed through the water tank scene, I am assuming, because it wasn't working properly that day. Was it just not working properly that day or has the tank been closed permanently?

They usually refrain from doing to preshow when it's too cold, and seeing that your visit was in December, this was probably the case.

Also, according to one of the posters, it appears that not all of the props were taken out, only a row or so. Maybe this will clear up some of the confusion.

I'm just curiouse... But is the Roger Rabbit Toon Dip machine thingy still in the tour? I haven't been on the tour for a looooong time so I wouldn't know...

It hasn't been in the tour for a while. I believe it was taken out in the past year or two.
Aw man. That was, like, the only thing I recognized in the entire tour. Oh well... Hopefully DI will iether gut the entire tour or add some familiar stuff in it. It really needs to be fixed, it's in bad shape. The reason I haven't been on it is because it's so bad.

bugsbunny

The backlot tour is awful, at best. You can't argue that it's nowhere near its past glory or stature. The nails in the coffin were the removal of the actual working studio followed by the whole street set being demolished to make way for the stunt show.

The whole "studio" theme is barely even that anymore. They should take the name studio out of it since its turning into a Six-Flag style amusement park. And don't jump on my back about this statement. Let's face it, just about everyone who posted in this thread has expressed their dismay about this park and what it is turning into.

The "shows" at MGM are either in dire need of an update or just waiting to be downsized. (I love during the Indiana Jones show how they portray the guy as "Harrison Ford's stunt double" when it couldn't be more obvious that the movie was made before he was even born :ROFLOL:) Great movie, but its back from when Jimmie Carter was president!! Can we get something new here? Most kids wouldn't know who Indiana Jones was if their life depended on it. Or Jimmie Carter.

And it seems that all they do to this park is add cookie cutter rides to it. Let's face it, the last original ride here was probably the Rockin Roller Coaster. Everything else is just cloned from somewhere else.

But who knows what Iger has up his sleeve. Eisner certainly didn't do anything to help the image of this park or other parks in his last years. He thought Imagineers did everything too slow, too big, and most important to him, too expensive. It will no doubt take some time to reverse this cycle. It takes years to get fresh ideas into the works, fund them, and then build them.

One thing that stands out to me was Iger's particular focus on the Imagineers, what they do, and how important they are to the company. He particularly stresses this in this year's shareholder report. Let's hope he sticks to his guns and puts the Imagineers front and center again so they revive things like MGM or California Adventure.

PhilharMagician

This ride/show needs to go. It starts with Pearl Harbor which has long gone. How about tieing it to a newer movie? The tank itself has many rusty pipes and effects and just looks like cr@p. Now I do like the props building, but they almost always direct you through the building and you cannot go around and look at the differant props. When LMA came into the picture the ride was cut in 1/2 and lost the houses and the props shop is a joke. Only occasionally do you see people in there working. The worst part of the ride is Catastrophy Canyon. This area is looking worse every time we go. The sound system is junk and the props do not always work. The backside of the mountain is a mess. There is maintenance equipment, and just cr@p laying all over. The piping system is rusty and paint faded. The only well kept item on the tour is Walt's plane. I'll tell you if I was in charge of the studios (which I am not and will most likely never be) I would be embarrassed to have that ride open. When the tour opened it was amazing, but it has definately fallen to the bottom of the upkeep list.

WDWFanatic

I highly doubt they would destroy those items when they have mousesurplus that would take them in a hearbeat. how do you know they were crushed, they didnt even crush the subs they just buried them way way back behind the golf course. mousesurplus has picked up items like that before, I had wrote a letter about the coyote X car from hardcastle and mccormick that was back there when the park was a few years old. i wanted to purchase it. I know It got sold to a private owner because i follow alot of movie car news and collect alot of movie car stuff. I personally own christines hubcaps from one of the movie cars used, lol Anyway id like to see the proof before there are allegations made.

hrcollectibles

The "shows" at MGM are either in dire need of an update or just waiting to be downsized. (I love during the Indiana Jones show how they portray the guy as "Harrison Ford's stunt double" when it couldn't be more obvious that the movie was made before he was even born :ROFLOL:) Great movie, but its back from when Jimmie Carter was president!! Can we get something new here? Most kids wouldn't know who Indiana Jones was if their life depended on it. Or Jimmie Carter.

Acutally Indiana jones Came out the Summer of 81 and Reagan was the president.. Even still kids these days porbably wouldn't know him either. I am a HUGE fan fo the Indiana Jones Trilogy and make it a point to see this attraction atleast once ... I miss the days of yore when the Backlot tour was actually a backlot tour. I really hope the revamp this... Did they demolish the houses back there? If they did that whos to say they didnb't demolish the props as well..... :veryconfu

WDWFanatic

You can not move a house like you can a prop in a boneyard. Apparently you have never been to mousesurplus, they have vehicles for sale there that have been used at disney. People pay big bucks for movie props, especially movie cars in any condition. Universal in california has a huge backlot with props dating back to the 70s still there and people still like them. I dont understand why they took them out unless they plan to expand soon. i dont see where since i believe that is a stormwater management pond but they can be moved i suppose with the right permits. All that indiana jones stuff could be put in storage and used for themeing around a new indiana jones ride:lookaroun

eddy21

Original Poster
Well they added new props to the empty row a chinese style boat and the model plane from Flight plan.

Tom Morrow

Those two and possibly one or two more. There is less, but they are bigger props, I think, and are at least from current movies, instead of props that have been sitting there for ages.

MGM needs help!

Is'nt there some way that we could send Disney a letter, or just get to them someway that they would hear us and know that MGM needs mucho loving TLC>! I mean it's got some of the things that it needs to become a working Movie creating business again, but their just drawing farther and farther away from that whole idea... comment box doesnt work, any other ideas??

You say the word and i'll do it...

Mickeyman101

mainstreet1997

Yeah I agree, the Backlot tour has pretty much run its course.....

Costume shop....not in operation.

Prop houses....gone

Earful Tower...kind of rusting away

Boneyard...gone

so basically we get to see Walt's plane and get wet. Its turn into an loooong water ride!

Tom Morrow

Soo..

Costume shop... actually still is in use, just not very often.

Prop houses... who cares, they were from TV shows from 1989.

Earful Tower... its not rusty at all... (???)

Boneyard... DID YOU NOT READ THE THREAD? It's not gone, they just replaced the props with stuff from newer movies.

You guys keep saying that they should take out the Backlot Tour to free up space. But believe me when I say this... it wouldn't really free up much at all. It barely takes up any space, so why not just keep it as long as people are still riding it? Especially when its one of the few things that can be considered a "Ride" in the Studios, for the guests that complain about the lack of rides.
Is'nt there some way that we could send Disney a letter, or just get to them someway that they would hear us and know that MGM needs mucho loving TLC>! I mean it's got some of the things that it needs to become a working Movie creating business again, but their just drawing farther and farther away from that whole idea... comment box doesnt work, any other ideas??

You say the word and i'll do it...

Mickeyman101

Well, I don't really think writing letters to "Disney" is going to get them to change their minds. It isn't profitable to use Disney-MGM Studios as a working studio, and it doesn't even make much sense to film or animate anything there when all of their main production is done in LA. They've already made their decision, and the new direction of the park is to be a completely illusionary Hollywood/Studio.

Hope they don't get rid of it cause if they do, what will they replace it with? While I agree with everyone, it's definately not what it once was, it's still a ride to go on and the chance to see some "backstage" areas. I miss the streets with the house facades but have to say that LMA has been a superior replacement for that part of the tour.

The boneyard can always be replaced (not that it's good removing stuff from it) as it's just a stretch of land where other used movie items can be added. The canyon I still enjoy (especially on hot florida days) and I think a first timer would find it an amazing effect, unlike some veterans who have seen it and done it before. Unfortunately with the amount of $$$ Disney would have spent building that, they're not knocking it down unless a) they're replacing it with something better or b) it's costing them lot's of $$$ to keep it running.

So for some, it's not worth the line to ride it. I personally visit Disney 'off season' and pick my times to ride it, usually with a maximum ten minute wait and think the trade is worth it. But I do miss what it used to be like!

So untill there's definately something better replacing it I say keep it there and maybe Disney could put a bit of thought into adding something new to look at while on the tour.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom