The Haunted Mansion with no tracks?

Calvin Coolidge

Why didn't disney use that ride system for the new Little Mermaid ride? Money issues I suppose?

That's probably (a big) part of it, but I think there's a bit more to it. Omnimovers are huge capacity eaters, and as far as I can tell, LPS rides aren't. Also, the basic story structure of the Mermaid ride is "travel through your favorite songs from the movie!" which fits in well with the passive storytelling of a omnimover system.

Rob562

(
Does anyone know how this ride capacity compares to omnimover? Just curious.

I don't have the numbers, but it's got to be quite a bit lower. On Omnimovers you are always loading the vehicles. You essentially dispatch 2-3 riders every few seconds.

I believe dispatching of the trackless system still operates like the load zone of Pooh in the MK: vehicles stop, people get in, vehicle leaves (and at some point in this you lower the lapbar). It's what the vehicles do *after* dispatch that makes it an innovative ride system.

While I suppose it's *possible* to have some kind of always-moving chain of vehicles at the load platform ala Forbidden Journey at IOA, even that wouldn't get you the same throughput as an Omnimover.

-Rob

Timekeeper

(

I don't have the numbers, but it's got to be quite a bit lower. On Omnimovers you are always loading the vehicles. You essentially dispatch 2-3 riders every few seconds.

I believe dispatching of the trackless system still operates like the load zone of Pooh in the MK: vehicles stop, people get in, vehicle leaves (and at some point in this you lower the lapbar). It's what the vehicles do *after* dispatch that makes it an innovative ride system.

While I suppose it's *possible* to have some kind of always-moving chain of vehicles at the load platform ala Forbidden Journey at IOA, even that wouldn't get you the same throughput as an Omnimover.

-Rob

...and that's exactly my reluctance to jump on board a new ride system where it isn't needed, or wouldn't particularly add anything to the attraction experience.

muteki

It's been a while since I have seen a video of one of the trackless rides, but one thing I remember was there seemed to be a lot of empty space that the vehicles used to get around. A standard omnimover has show scenes (generally) on both sides of the vehicle throughout the ride, and at a relatively close distance. Trackless have space to allow for cars to pass, etc so the show elements seem fewer and further away. I think the idea behind the trackless system is neat, but I think it comes at a cost of less show.

Rob562

It's been a while since I have seen a video of one of the trackless rides, but one thing I remember was there seemed to be a lot of empty space that the vehicles used to get around. A standard omnimover has show scenes (generally) on both sides of the vehicle throughout the ride, and at a relatively close distance. Trackless have space to allow for cars to pass, etc so the show elements seem fewer and further away. I think the idea behind the trackless system is neat, but I think it comes at a cost of less show.

I think it all depends on how creative the designers get with the ride paths and the routes the vehicles can take. Imagine the attic of the Mansion with piles of furniture and knick-knacks all over the place and each vehicle in your group takes a different path through the room as they wind through the "islands" of clutter...

-Rob

muteki

I think it all depends on how creative the designers get with the ride paths and the routes the vehicles can take. Imagine the attic of the Mansion with piles of furniture and knick-knacks all over the place and each vehicle in your group takes a different path through the room as they wind through the "islands" of clutter...

-Rob

Certainly, anything is possible. I need a refresher to see what the existing systems are like, but the thing that jumped out at me watching it the first time was the emptiness.

MandyMouse

I'm all for it. I trust the WDW staff to implement it properly. I doubt it will make it into ALL of the attractions, but I wouldn't mind seeing new parts added to the classic rides to make each experience a little different.

Captain Neo

Fun fact: During the blue sky discussions for Disneyland's 50th. anniversary a proposal for Haunted Mansion was seriously considered that would have involved a new trackless ride system and branching paths through the mansion. One route would take guests through the main ballroom to spin among dancing ghosts. Unfortunately Disney at this point was no longer in the business of doing anything ambitions and the project was quickly scrapped.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

-Rob

Lighting can help too... If the lighting is dark on the track area and light on show scenes it's more immersive if done correctly. If you were going to be more mature and scary then you can have only show elements appear as needed when a vehicle approaches. Adding more of a surprise and increasing the rerideability because you can't even turn your head and see the entire show. Just some thoughts.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
BTW- It was proposed for the HM long ago as part of a new version of the attraction as described above. I proposed it as an Imagineer both for the DL50th and developed it under the budget of TDL. The artwork was featured in an issue of D23 not long ago. This was not a straight replacement of Omnimovers, but an updating of the attraction overall using the same story elements.

Darth Sidious

BTW- It was proposed for the HM long ago as part of a new version of the attraction as described above. I proposed it as an Imagineer both for the DL50th and developed it under the budget of TDL. The artwork was featured in an issue of D23 not long ago. This was not a straight replacement of Omnimovers, but an updating of the attraction overall using the same story elements.

Can you talk about some of the ideas you had for HM with the LPS vehicles? I understand if you can't or don't want to.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I'm happy to if you do me a favor. It's easier for me to track conversations on my own thread. I will post the answer on "Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks". Would you mind looking over therefore the answer? Thank you very much.

Darth Sidious

I'm happy to if you do me a favor. It's easier for me to track conversations on my own thread. I will post the answer on "Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks". Would you mind looking over therefore the answer? Thank you very much.

Surely, I have posted back and forth with you many times over in that thread. I was actually surprised to see you post in this thread.

EDIT: for those looking for that response, here is the thread... http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...he-current-state-of-the-parks-part-ii.770938/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom