The Hall of Presidents to reopen before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamN'Dean

Well, you're wrong.
The attraction is Hall of the Presidents.
It features all of the Presidents, and adds a new one each time one is elected.
Perhaps it's time for people to calm down, and stop getting so offended over everything.
Don't like a President so badly that one can't muster the self control to attend it without making a scene?
Don't go.
More room for other people who respect others enjoyment of their vacation.
Expect that attraction to be changed because some people don't like a particular President?
Get lost.
Get over yourself.
Seriously.

I can't wait until President Kim Kardashian is inaugurated, I'm sure she'll want her butt facing the audience so we see her best side. I hope you're all crowing about "respecting the office" when and if that happens, too.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It would be fun to elect Bernie in 2020...just so the updated HoP can have this scene...

97f16ba6e8ea9bd3da18a0eb4377f508.gif

JohnD

Following info based on very good source....
1. HoP will be reopening very soon.
2. Completely revamped show.
3. Trump will recite the oath of office followed by a few sentences of Disney-written script.
4. A “safety screen” has been installed to protect the center stage animatronics (including Trump). Anyone or anything flying at the stage will immediately cause it to be deployed.
5. A security booth which will at least initially be manned has been added to the far side of the stage.

Apparently #4 and 5 have been necessitated by a number of “threats” Disney has received and in an abundance of caution to prevent any incidents between guests. Sad state of affairs if you ask me.

Re:,#4, you mean like this?

JohnD

Not to get too political, but your last comment regarding him being there in 3 years, seems somewhat premature, don't you think?
Unless you can see the future or have actually time traveled, how do you know this?
For the record, I (begrudgingly) voted for him, but I seriously have to wonder if he can or will go the full term.

Also, while I disagree with @NicNac0404 and their reasoning to not visit the attraction, I respect their right and decision not to go. If everyone who felt like this would do the same, it might actually be smoothly for re-opening, but I fear there will be a few who feel like they need to go and heckle or boo the new animatronic.

I don’t want to go too far down this rabbit hole but I think we can assume the minimum for any President is 4 years unless something extraordinary happens to make him or her leave office sooner. So let’s let’s leave it at that, okay?

JohnD

I think it does. The debate over adding the current president as well as all the reports of vocal reactions to the last two presidents suggests that perhaps it is time to radically rethink this attraction.

Again, it’s a sad commentary on where society is that we can appreciate the role of President in a free republic regardless of who that person is. Disagreements come with the person. It shouldn’t be with the office.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t want to go too far down this rabbit hole but I think we can assume the minimum for any President is 4 years unless something extraordinary happens to make him or her leave office sooner. So let’s let’s leave it at that, okay?
Does it even matter? If Trump calls it quits tomorrow or is impeached before his term is up his AA would still be part of the attraction forever. Nixon resigned and is still in the attraction. I assume once he’s out of office the robot will no longer have a speaking role whether that’s tomorrow, next year, 2020 or 2024.

EricsBiscuit

I'd like to point out that sometimes I just went to HoP to observe the presidents' interactions. You look at how they interact and appreciate how they are AAs and not static figures. I didnt even pay attention to some of what the speaking presidents said, I just watched JFK, Reagan and the others and their gentle movements. The animation, set design and costuming is brilliant.

lazyboy97o

I'd like to point out that sometimes I just went to HoP to observe the presidents' interactions. You look at how they interact and appreciate how they are AAs and not static figures. I didnt even pay attention to some of what the speaking presidents said, I just watched JFK, Reagan and the others and their gentle movements. The animation, set design and costuming is brilliant.
Clinton checks his watch during the roll call.

21stamps

Again, it’s a sad commentary on where society is that we can appreciate the role of President in a free republic regardless of who that person is. Disagreements come with the person. It shouldn’t be with the office.

Maybe I’m an oddball.. but does no else get chills hearing clips from history? From tragedy, and messages of hope.. being reminded of loss that we all felt- together, as a nation.

I was young when the Challenger exploded.. but still remember it.. that part gets to me.

The most poignant of all is when Bush says “I can hear you”
I remember exactly where I was when I watched him live on tv during that very moment.
I remember how scared we were, yet how “together” we were, as a nation.

For the people who think it’s “hero worship” or “political” or about whomever is currently in office— You are missing the entire point of that attraction.. what that office represents.. and what we all share, together, as a nation.
It is so much deeper than any political side or any man who sits on that stage.

Sonic Sunglasses

Maybe I’m an oddball.. but does no else get chills hearing clips from history? From tragedy, and messages of hope.. being reminded of loss that we all felt- together, as a nation.

I was young when the Challenger exploded.. but still remember it.. that part gets to me.
Specifically to this point: I personally knew half the crew of Challenger. To this day, I still can't watch the explosion without feeling completely gutted. I'd die happy never to see it again. But to see that event trotted out as a point of-- what? Really, what? It was a failure. Mechanical, human, and avoidable failure. I don't know what showcasing their deaths is supposed to prove. It's crass and disgusting. If anyone finds it a point of nationalistic pride for whatever reason, I pity them.

21stamps

Specifically to this point: I personally knew half the crew of Challenger. To this day, I still can't watch the explosion without feeling completely gutted. I'd die happy never to see it again. But to see that event trotted out as a point of-- what? Really, what? It was a failure. Mechanical, human, and avoidable failure. I don't know what showcasing their deaths is supposed to prove. It's crass and disgusting. If anyone finds it a point of nationalistic pride for whatever reason, I pity them.

I am very sorry for your personal loss.

I view it as a stark moment in history.. one where we were all “together”. I remember my teacher rolling in a tv for us to watch.. we were all so excited, she was so excited.. and then to watch on that television what happened, we all cried, we were all confused.. we leaned on each other. It was a national tragedy.

Tragedies are horrible, but the only positive is that they do bring people together.. there are a few times in my life when I remember us all being One Nation with one shared grief or goal.. the Challenger is definitely one of those times.

Pixieish

I'm so sorry for your loss...I remember it too. I was about 13 and I remember the horror and disbelief I felt when it happened. It was such a terrible tragedy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The section of the movie in the attraction on Challenger is highlighting Ronald Reagan’s reaction to the tragedy that occurred on his watch. That part of the film shows various presidents during some of their toughest moments. It’s not showcasing the deaths. I don’t think it’s crass or disgusting. Just my opinion.

21stamps

I'm so sorry for your loss...I remember it too. I was about 13 and I remember the horror and disbelief I felt when it happened. It was such a terrible tragedy.

The following is completely unrelated to Sonic Sunglasses’ post..
I wonder if maybe the disconnect between a few of us on this thread, and the attraction itself- is age. Or lack of “national tragedies” experienced. Obviously at no fault of their own, but maybe people who vaguely or are too young to remember things like that, and especially 9/11, just don’t feel the same type of pride for our country when sitting thru the attraction.
I think there’s people even older than us, who have lived thru even more of the scenes/words spoken, who may even have more of an emotional experience/appreciation while viewing.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The section of the movie in the attraction on Challenger is highlighting Ronald Reagan’s reaction to the tragedy that occurred on his watch. That part of the film shows various presidents during some of their toughest moments. It’s not showcasing the deaths. I don’t think it’s crass or disgusting. Just my opinion.
Quite. The Challenger incident in particular had deeper impact because of McAuliffe. It had been widely publicized, and that launch, more so than any of the more recent prior missions, was being broadcast to school children all over the country by excited teachers to see one of their own (Reagan's "Teachers to the Stars" or something like that program was what led to McAuliffe being added to the crew roster)...

This is why, imho, it made a more lasting general impact than, say, the Columbia tragedy.

Last edited:

NearTheEars

I believe the point of that segment is to show a president’s solemn and monumental role in guiding a nation through tragedy. Think of some of the most iconic moments in presidential history. Many are tied directly to tragedies.

So go ahead and pity me.

But since I wasn’t close to this specific tragedy as you say you were, I respect your opinion.

HauntedMansionFLA

The most poignant of all is when Bush says “I can hear you”
I remember exactly where I was when I watched him live on tv during that very moment.
I remember how scared we were, yet how “together” we were, as a nation.

For the people who think it’s “hero worship” or “political” or about whomever is currently in office— You are missing the entire point of that attraction.. what that office represents.. and what we all share, together, as a nation.
It is so much deeper than any political side or any man who sits on that stage.
People who don’t learn from our past mistakes in history might be doomed to repeat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom