The Hall of Presidents to reopen before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

It wasn’t condescending, it was genuine curiosity.. and it wasn’t about one political side or another. Just a general question.

Your post was showing politics by declaring your position towards the current POTUS.. Mine was about the reality of civics, and if people omit segments of history because of their personal feelings.

I'm not getting political whatsoever, so please don't think that I am, but I think Disney's issue as with many people here, is that Trump is somewhat antithetical to the views that Disney, as a company, supports. Examples being his comments regarding immigrants, specifically Mexicans - yet Disney has has an entire pavilion dedicated to the beauty and wonder of Mexico and it's people, yet the President has said pretty negative things about the country and its residents. Trump, love him or hate him, is not a typical President and those who oppose his viewpoints are, generally speaking, not doing so out of purely political disagreements as they have had with previous Presidents, regardless of who it was.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I'm not getting political whatsoever, so please don't think that I am, but I think Disney's issue as with many people here, is that Trump is somewhat antithetical to the views that Disney, as a company, supports. Examples being his comments regarding immigrants, specifically Mexicans - yet Disney has has an entire pavilion dedicated to the beauty and wonder of Mexico and it's people, yet the President has said horrid things about them. Trump, love him or hate him, is not a typical President and those who oppose his viewpoints are, generally speaking, not doing so out of purely political disagreements as they have had with previous Presidents, regardless of who it was.

Regardless.
He's President, and belongs in the attraction which is titled: Hall of the Presidents

Sir_Cliff

Regardless.
He's President, and belongs in the attraction which is titled: Hall of the Presidents
Maybe this also points to why the attraction itself is now an anachronism. Is there really much popular mood for hero-worshiping political leaders these days, whichever side they come from? The "wow" factor has also diminished a lot since the 1970s, particularly as the likenesses are often not that fantastic, the technology is now old, and that technology is put to much more impressive and entertaining use around the corner at Pirates of the Caribbean.

American Adventure at Epcot is a far more timeless concept that is also executed much better.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Maybe this also points to why the attraction itself is now an anachronism. Is there really much popular mood for hero-worshiping political leaders these days, whichever side the come from? The "wow" factor has also diminished a lot since the 1970s, particularly as the likenesses are often not that fantastic, the technology is now old, and that technology is put to much more impressive and entertaining use around the corner at Pirates of the Caribbean.

American Adventure at Epcot is a far more timeless concept that is also executed much better.

All of which has nothing to do with the subject.

disneygeek90

If you go to an attraction like HoP and cant see the beauty, artistry, majesty of an attraction that has too many components to imagine, and all you do is sit there quiet or act like a fool because of one particular person that one of those plastic moving AAs represents, then I tend to pity such an individual.
Aren't you supposed to sit there quiet?

Regardless, there's nothing wrong if people choose not to sit through a show and listen to someone that makes them genuinely uncomfortable. At the end of the day, it's an attraction in a theme park. Lots of people don't see the artistry or beauty in IaSW, but that doesn't mean they're bad people or deserve to be pitied.

matt9112

You sound like a very laid-back, chill person, which I admire. To respond to your thought, though: I think the reason many of us would prefer to "sit out" HoP for awhile is that we go on vacations to escape from the stresses of the "real world," and would prefer to do only the things we find most enjoyable, or least boring/annoying/stressful. That doesn't mean that the attractions I tend to skip (e.g., Stitch's Great Escape when it was open, HoP when it reopens) would "ruin my day" -- it's just that out of all the things I could choose to do at WDW, they land at the bottom of the list, and I'd find a Trump "speech" to be about as delightful as Stitch's chili dog belch in my face. On the other hand, there are people who loved Stitch's Great Escape, and there will be those who will love the new HoP. We all get to do what we want and skip what we don't, and nobody should be judged for their choices either way. Pretty groovy.

of course I am not condemning anyone's choice not to go into the HOP im sure some just don't like it period regardless of presidents. That's ok and it won't bother me however I was simply finding it a little puzzling that if not for Trump people would love the HOP. if one AA ruins it ALL for you than I don't think you really enjoy the attraction period. to be clear that too is ok.

Incomudro

I think it does. The debate over adding the current president as well as all the reports of vocal reactions to the last two presidents suggests that perhaps it is time to radically rethink this attraction.

Well, you're wrong.
The attraction is Hall of the Presidents.
It features all of the Presidents, and adds a new one each time one is elected.
Perhaps it's time for people to calm down, and stop getting so offended over everything.
Don't like a President so badly that one can't muster the self control to attend it without making a scene?
Don't go.
More room for other people who respect others enjoyment of their vacation.
Expect that attraction to be changed because some people don't like a particular President?
Get lost.
Get over yourself.
Seriously.

Sir_Cliff

Well, you're wrong.
:hilarious:

To be clear, I will probably go and see the new version if I get there before the next change out of curiosity. I also think it is dumb to boo or jeer an audio animatronic figure in a theme park.

Regardless of who ends up as president next, I also wouldn't be averse to them putting something else in there. The elements that once made this an interesting and entertaining attraction just don't really work anymore, in my opinion (which I realise is wrong).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Like this thread, it’s nearly impossible to seperate politics from the attraction. The current state of US politics is toxic. Anyone who claims it’s no worse than it’s always been is kidding themselves. I think adults should have enough restraint to either sit quietly through the show or skip it, but I’m not naive enough to think they all will. It only takes a few bad apples.

Maybe if the spirit of the attraction is just about celebrating the history of the office they should just wait until the sitting President’s term is up to add them to the attraction. I’d prefer they didn’t have to do that but if some of these rumors about security barriers and added security guards are true maybe it’s for the best.

brb1006

From what I've heard today, Disney will have plainclothes security in the front row of each show (at least to start with).

WOW! These plain clothed security people are going to be THE most heavily coached and trained security people that Disney has ever had. They are going to have to know exactly what to say and how much force to apply in a situation. They also must be trained to remove the situation as fast an quietly as possible. (if it's even possible at all) They know that "when" they need to act, there will be 5, 10 or 20 cell cameras recording what they do and how they do it.

I would venture to guess that they train after park hours and setup "real life" scenarios with actors to train on. Then they are evaluated on how well they performed on the acting protester.

God help them if they apply too much force to a guest on video. Again, the United Airlines video of them dragging out a customer keeps playing over and over in my head.

Those special guards have THE worst job in Disney. I feel for them.

CT
The Hall Of Presidents security videos in the future will give this infamous video of an angry CM at Carousel of Progress a run for it's money if this gets worse.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Like this thread, it’s nearly impossible to seperate politics from the attraction. The current state of US politics is toxic. Anyone who claims it’s no worse than it’s always been is kidding themselves. I think adults should have enough restraint to either sit quietly through the show or skip it, but I’m not naive enough to think they all will. It only takes a few bad apples.

Maybe if the spirit of the attraction is just about celebrating the history of the office they should just wait until the sitting President’s term is up to add them to the attraction. I’d prefer they didn’t have to do that but if some of these rumors about security barriers and added security guards are true maybe it’s for the best.

I'd prefer that we stop caving into people who cause trouble.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm trying to stay factual to the intent of the attraction, which is apolitical.

And bravo for so doing, but people will inject their personal politics into almost any statement about Presidents. There's nothing political about observing that every president has faced challenges while in office, some representing political forces surrounding their election, and some actual existential threats to this country. It's also apolitical to state that the current president will not be the last president this country will elect, and regardless of whether you supported the last president or the current president, you may or may not support the next president. Everyone should take a step back and realize that everything is not political. Regardless of what they've done with the current president, I'm looking forward to seeing the HoP open again and celebrating the office.

Sir_Cliff

I'm trying to stay factual to the intent of the attraction, which is apolitical.
Maybe the original version, but giving the current president a speaking role beginning with Clinton changed that. I think it's healthy to think about politics when listening to the country's current political leader. It was a nice marketing gimmick, but having the focus become the current occupant of the White House made the show inherently political.

Again, I agree with those who say that they have to include the current president in a speaking role due to this precedent unless he refused to record any dialogue. However, I think they made a big mistake changing the format back in 1993 and maybe it's time to rethink the attraction once this term is up.

Incomudro

Maybe the original version, but giving the current president a speaking role beginning with Clinton changed that. I think it's healthy to think about politics when listening to the country's current political leader. It was a nice marketing gimmick, but having the focus become the current occupant of the White House made the show inherently political.

Again, I agree with those who say that they have to include the current president in a speaking role due to this precedent unless he refused to record any dialogue. However, I think they made a big mistake changing the format back in 1993 and maybe it's time to rethink the attraction once this term is up.

Maybe it's time you stop going, or stop believing that things - attractions must be changed because of how you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom