The Hall of Presidents to reopen before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

And bravo for so doing, but people will inject their personal politics into almost any statement about Presidents. There's nothing political about observing that every president has faced challenges while in office, some representing political forces surrounding their election, and some actual existential threats to this country. It's also apolitical to state that the current president will not be the last president this country will elect, and regardless of whether you supported the last president or the current president, you may or may not support the next president. Everyone should take a step back and realize that everything is not political. Regardless of what they've done with the current president, I'm looking forward to seeing the HoP open again and celebrating the office.
Precisely.

21stamps

Maybe this also points to why the attraction itself is now an anachronism. Is there really much popular mood for hero-worshiping political leaders these days, whichever side they come from? The "wow" factor has also diminished a lot since the 1970s, particularly as the likenesses are often not that fantastic, the technology is now old, and that technology is put to much more impressive and entertaining use around the corner at Pirates of the Caribbean.

American Adventure at Epcot is a far more timeless concept that is also executed much better.

Hero worship?

I’m not sure I understand.

Seabasealpha1

As a side note...I wanted to ask if anyone thought this would ever open (yes, in regard to what news has just hit the world)...but seeing as everyone is already at each other's throats...I'll just forget about it...I'm sure one way or another it'll open and whoever's in office will appear... have a good afternoon y'all...

tenor.gif

Sir_Cliff

Hero worship?

I’m not sure I understand.
Well, just imagine you had just come across video on the Internet of a theme park in another country which had an audioanimatronic extravaganza honouring their wise leaders complete with film, narration, and swelling patriotic music and which culminated in a speech by a robotic version of the country's current leader. I guarantee you that you would find it not just very eccentric and amusing, but an example of some kind of cult of leadership.

21stamps

Then draw a line and kick them out.
This whole subject is ridiculous.

Right?! It’s baffling. It’s become trendy for grown adults to act like tantrum throwing children..and even worse- acceptable.
And that applies to everyone, regardless of political affiliation.

On top of that, we’ve entered into an era where it’s also acceptable to demand that anything you disagree with be destroyed.. or at the very least, hidden from view so “you” don’t have to be confronted with it..
This is an Attraction About Our Nation.
Not about politics.
If a grown adult can’t see the difference or threaten Disney as has been reported.. needing “security” for the attraction.. then we all need to take a good look in the mirror.

21stamps

Well, just imagine you had just come across video on the Internet of a theme park in another country which had an audioanimatronic extravaganza honouring their wise leaders complete with film, narration, and swelling patriotic music and which culminated in a speech by a robotic version of the country's current leader. I guarantee you that you would find it not just very eccentric and amusing, but an example of some kind of cult of leadership.

Actually I would probably enjoy it. I like to learn the history of a country that I’m visiting. I don’t view a display of history or patriotism as a cult of leadership.

I will never view patriotism as a negative.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then draw a line and kick them out.
This whole subject is ridiculous.
I don’t disagree that it’s ridiculous. I would prefer if people just acted right. I’d prefer to bring liquids on a plane or not to take my shoes off st TSA too but I can’t control what other people do so I live with it for the greater good. As I said before IF these rumors are true and IF there are credible threats that have lead them to resort to extreme measures like sensor activated shields and security guards in each show then maybe it’s time to change the show for the better good.

I would have never said this a year ago but things have gotten a lot worse politically and based on people’s reactions here plus the rumored security measures it seems unlikely there won’t be some big issues.

matt9112

I don’t disagree that it’s ridiculous. I would prefer if people just acted right. I’d prefer to bring liquids on a plane or not to take my shoes off st TSA too but I can’t control what other people do so I live with it for the greater good. As I said before IF these rumors are true and IF there are credible threats that have lead them to resort to extreme measures like sensor activated shields and security guards in each show then maybe it’s time to change the show for the better good.

I would have never said this a year ago but things have gotten a lot worse politically and based on people’s reactions here plus the rumored security measures it seems unlikely there won’t be some big issues.

I think it's just drummed up....my life hasn't changed....there isn't war in the streets. I go to work and than come home to my family.

Sir_Cliff

Actually I would probably enjoy it. I like to learn the history of a country that I’m visiting. I don’t view a display of history or patriotism as a cult of leadership.

I will never view patriotism as a negative.
The patriotic aspect of it doesn't bother me. I like the American Adventure, for example. Also really like Great Moments with Mr Lincoln.

For me, the focus on the presidents in this show just seems a bit off. Particularly culminating with the current president, who will always be a political figure pursuing a political agenda and trying to win votes for themselves or their party.

I also think that part of the appeal back in the day was the audioanimatronic technology, which isn't enough by itself anymore to make this display interesting. It kind of is interesting in the sense that the whole spectacle is a little weird, but if anything the technology itself comes across as a bit clunky in 2017.

matt9112

The patriotic aspect of it doesn't bother me. I like the American Adventure, for example. Also really like Great Moments with Mr Lincoln.

For me, the focus on the presidents in this show just seems a bit weird. Particularly culminating with the current president, who will always be a political figure pursuing a political agenda and trying to win votes for themselves or their party.

I also think that part of the appeal back in the day was the audioanimatronic technology, which isn't enough by itself anymore to make this display interesting. It kind of is as the whole spectacle is a little weird, but if anything the technology itself comes across as a little clunky in 2017.

you point out something I adore. not this attraction in particular but the older classic stuff. things that would be long retired at a non Disney park. I love amusement history in general too however. the catiplilar at canobie lake for example I think is one of the only ones left operating anywhere. Disney's classics make me feel so glad to be there. the COP the wedway even space mountain.

brb1006

As a side note...I wanted to ask if anyone thought this would ever open (yes, in regard to what news has just hit the world)...but seeing as everyone is already at each other's throats...I'll just forget about it...I'm sure one way or another it'll open and whoever's in office will appear... have a good afternoon y'all...

tenor.gif
Same here, for now I won't be leaving anymore comments on any Hall Of Presidents related thread till it finally reopens (If they don't change the date again). This thread is already heading in a bad direction.
AbandonThread.gif

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it's just drummed up....my life hasn't changed....there isn't war in the streets. I go to work and than come home to my family.
It really doesn’t matter if your or anyone else’s life changed, I’m not talking about whether people have a justification for these types of actions but rather the increased probablility of them occurring.

This is really a question for Disney as a company. Is it worth having an attraction that’s controversial enough that it requires security guards and defensive shields? If those rumors are true and if those measures prove to be necessary, at some point for the greater good of all visitors Disney probably should consider a change. That’s probably also one of the reasons it took so long to re-open.

Sir_Cliff

you point out something I adore. not this attraction in particular but the older classic stuff. things that would be long retired at a non Disney park. I love amusement history in general too however. the catiplilar at canobie lake for example I think is one of the only ones left operating anywhere. Disney's classics make me feel so glad to be there. the COP the wedway even space mountain.
I do agree here, and it is definitely a balancing act. There is something about the fact that a reference to the Hall of Presidents can be dropped into a mainstream comedy and millions of people will chuckle along knowingly that sets Disney parks apart from their competition. I was very much against them getting rid of Mr Toad because it was similarly one of those eccentric little classics that elevate Disney theme parks to cultural touchstones.

I honestly don't know what I would do with HoP, but I would certainly get rid of putting so much focus on the current president when they next have to add a figure and go back to keeping the focus on history.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Aren't you supposed to sit there quiet?

Regardless, there's nothing wrong if people choose not to sit through a show and listen to someone that makes them genuinely uncomfortable. At the end of the day, it's an attraction in a theme park. Lots of people don't see the artistry or beauty in IaSW, but that doesn't mean they're bad people or deserve to be pitied.
I guess i phrased that poorly. Yes you are supposed to sit respectfully quiet. I guess what i meant if you sit there sulcking becauseyou dont agree with the person that one of those AAs represents....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom