News The Hall of Presidents is now open

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Here's the thing tho... if Hillary wasn't in the election... would anyone make that same connection?

The AA really doesn't look anything like her... except having the rounder eyes than we perceive trump to have. It doesn't have her cheekbones, it doesn't have her lips, the nose is a wash.. It's more that it doesn't look like Trump, so our brains go searching for what it does remind us of. The rounder eyes, the deeper sockets, the blonde hair... and the brain runs to what else it might have been.
I still see Robert Vaughn... although there's a touch of Lloyd Bridges too.

JohnD

Here's a widescreen version of most of the HOP show (Movie and introductions of the Presidents are widescreen. Close ups of Lincoln's, Washington's and Trump's speeches).

Let's compare against the Obama version:

Movies are different, obviously, with different narrators but on the whole pretty much the same type of movie. Although the new version has better technology. Now on to the Presidents:
  • In the Obama version, Hail to the Chief is played at the beginning of the introductions and just before President Obama is introduced. President Trump doesn't get that. Instead generic patriotic music is played.
  • In the Obama version, following President Washington's saying he took an Oath of 35 words repeated by every American President throughout history, he says this: "As long as that oath is taken and solemnly fulfilled, the American dream will endure." That sentence is dropped from the Trump version.
  • In the Obama version, I could be wrong but Presidents Fillmore, Pierce, Buchannon, Lincoln, Johnson and Grant all appear to be looking on glowingly at President Obama. Not so President Trump's version. President Buchannon's eyes are actually darting left and right and Grant appears to be not entirely enthusiastic. (I'm only observing here).
  • Watch this carefully: President Madison is at a desk in both with a quill pen. At the end of the Obama version, he is facing forward dutifully. At the end of the Trump version he is doodling as if he's disinterested. (Better seen in the WDWMagic video).
  • In the Obama version, "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah" is played at the end. The Trump version ends quietly almost like an afterthought.

Last edited:

AEfx

View attachment 251642Okay
It doesn't look like the just used Hillary.... maybe from the hose up... but the mouth doesn't work... In the end I think it is just a very bad AA.... Might have started as Hillary at some point, but clearly it doesn't really work as either one of them.

I am being completely honest, that if you just showed me that picture, I would immediately have thought of a caricature of Hillary Clinton, long before I would have ever thought of Trump. That's a very recognizable hairstyle, yes, I'll grant, but I think it made me realize what the problem is. The AA does indeed have a very feminine looking "bone" structure and brow/eye dimensions that resemble Hillary Clinton.

If you read scientific studies about face recognition in humans (and other higher animals), we don't look at faces and analyze individual features like we are picking apart here (well, the nose is different, the chin, etc). It is completely unconscious and happens in milliseconds, and its based on the area from one eye to the other and the structure in between. That's why a simple domino mask is rather effective at hiding identity without close, consciously rationalized study.

I thought it sounded silly at first blush, but I'm now after looking at that picture I'm pretty firmly in the camp that thinks that indeed, the internal structure of the face was designed for a female approximating Clinton's visage, and then they skinned Trump over it. If I were to speculate more, I'd say that because up until the night of the election, the world was 97% sure she was going to win, and Disney would have had the attraction ready again much sooner, to celebrate what would have been the historic election of a female president.

montyz81

Yes, and it would be even funnier if it had been correct. It's as funny as a screen door in a submarine. Makes more sense now doesn't it. Or it could have been "as funny as a pay toilet in a diarrhea ward".
Seems you aren’t a “Back to the Future” fan. The post/quote was absolutely correct, That’s why I said the post won the internet yesterday.

Goofyernmost

Seems you aren’t a “Back to the Future” fan. The post/quote was absolutely correct, That’s why I said the post won the internet yesterday.
You are correct, I am not a fan of Back to the Future, although I did like the attraction at Universal. I still don't get the connection to the topic, but, it is not important. Apparently others did and that is all that matters. Without the reference to the Movie I missed the relevance, I just knew it wasn't the correct quote. Such is life.

Phil12

It's time to rethink the use of the space. The show is inferior to American Adventure. In general, the audience is unaware that there are plenty of scoundrels and embarrassingly bad people up there on that stage (and I'm just talking about presidents from the 1800's). I know the stage is huge, but c'mon, how long are we just going to keep doing this "add a new figure every four or eight years" thing?

Focus on the best presidents (like the filmed portions do now). To further differentiate it from American Adventure, I'd take that space and make a ride through history. Or make it a walk-thru HALL of Presidents. Basically a top-notch, interactive historical exhibit.
I have noticed that there is a giant turkey leg stand right in front of the American Adventure. It seems to me that it would be far more appropriate to have a giant turkey leg stand in front of the Hall of Presidents.

prberk

I don't care about the Trump AA, I'm more bothered by the fact they replaced Royal Dano as Lincoln's voice. That is a travesty!

Absolutely hate the Lincoln voice. Royal Dano's performances had gravitas, texture, and presence. This one was so generic and devoid of character. And the AA was overly animated.

Meh.

I cannot agree with both of you more. I was shocked when I saw the video. Royal Dano's voice is perfect for Disney's depiction of Lincoln, and was even remastered the last time around. Why did they replace it? Does anyone know? From what I can see, it was not necessary at all. The script for Lincoln still pulls from the speeches as the old one did.

Now, Steven Spielberg, in casting the movie, Lincoln, said that Disney's voice choice was deeper than his research suggested, but no one knows for sure. I definitely would have kept Royal Dano here. Just like keeping Paul Frees in the mansion. It was well-suited from the beginning.

Anyone know why it was replaced with this generic voice?

lostpro9het

You are correct, I am not a fan of Back to the Future, although I did like the attraction at Universal. I still don't get the connection to the topic, but, it is not important. Apparently others did and that is all that matters. Without the reference to the Movie I missed the relevance, I just knew it wasn't the correct quote. Such is life.
Good, now make like a tree and get out of here...

Last edited:

matt9112

Yes, and it would be even funnier if it had been correct. It's as funny as a screen door in a submarine. Makes more sense now doesn't it. Or it could have been "as funny as a pay toilet in a diarrhea ward".

well I mean I think the screen door comment was more for the lack of protection from incoming fire than from risk of water entry like your submarine example.

Disney Analyst

I cannot agree with both of you more. I was shocked when I saw the video. Royal Dano's voice is perfect for Disney's depiction of Lincoln, and was even remastered the last time around. Why did they replace it? Does anyone know? From what I can see, it was not necessary at all. The script for Lincoln still pulls from the speeches as the old one did.

Now, Steven Spielberg, in casting the movie, Lincoln, said that Disney's voice choice was deeper than his research suggested, but no one knows for sure. I definitely would have kept Royal Dano here. Just like keeping Paul Frees in the mansion. It was well-suited from the beginning.

Anyone know why it was replaced with this generic voice?

Do you think whenever they redo the attraction the actors contracts are resigned and such, and perhaps the other Lincoln voice refused to continue on? Or is that not how it works?

mergatroid

Without reading the whole thread can anyone confirm whether anyone has heckled or attacked the audioanimatronic yet? (not interested in politics, just if anything stupid has been done yet?)

Phil12

"As late-night hosts gradually sign off for the holidays, those comedians who’ve stuck around were rewarded Tuesday with a special gift: Disney World officially unveiled its animatronic Donald Trump. And as many have already noted on Twitter, the likeness to our president is a little . . . off. In fact, Seth Meyers was left wondering if Disney might have put the robot in the wrong place."

“I know this show is on at 12:30 and you’re trying to go to sleep,” Meyers said Tuesday night, “but you’ve got to look at this thing. Good Lord! Disney World, was that supposed to go in the Haunted Mansion?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=VhnE-f3nLt8

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom