News The Hall of Presidents is now open

DisneyCane

I think the real problem is that Disney and WDI, for better or worse, just didn't have any input from Trump or his team. In this day of amazing 3-D scanning and very accurate motion capture to have something this sketchy is just embarrassing.

Then again this is the same company that thinks their largest animatronic is just fine with a strobe light on it.

At least the Trump AA moves and doesn't flash a strobe light as he speaks!

flynnibus

Premium Member
The eyes are even too exagerated to even look like Hillary or John Voight.. even tho the look strikes the idea of them and they both were people I immediately thought of.

The figure lacks the cheek 'sag' lines that hillary really has.. and Voight has more distinctive vertical creases between his cheeks and nose/mouth. The mouth, nose and cheeks on the AA seem decent... it's just that eye and brow area

Note the vertical creases..
Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 10.35.06 PM.png

Note the cheek lines and curves under them

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 10.35.33 PM.png

Next Big Thing

So... here's my take on the AA figure.

I think the problem is 90% the eyes.

If you look at the profile view... it's pretty good
Hall-of-Presidents_Full_31876.jpg

The problem is when you look at the figure head on. Two things really stand out..
1) The deep eye sockets. While Trump does have the feature, the eyebrows seem to crowd it more and you see less of the recess at the top of the eye.
2) The eyes don't feel as squinty as you normally perceive him to have

View attachment 251425
Here, you see the upper eye socket appears nearly flat or filled in. You don't get the IMPRESSION of deep recesses

View attachment 251426

Here, you see the eye sockets appearing even fuller. The makeup and facial don't give the IMPRESSION that his sockets are deep at all.. and his eye openings appear very horizontal vs round.

And here is an image that actually looks the closest to the AA figure..
View attachment 251427
Here you can see the shadows making his eye sockets appear more pronounced.. and his upper eyelids are very 'heavy' and pronounced. The bags under his eyes are noticeable

Now lets go back to the Disney AA
View attachment 251428

Notice.. the lack of heavy, visible upper eyelids. Notice the eye sockets appear more pronounced due to the shadows of the eye brow. This big eye stuff also makes the face appear 'squished' vertically compared to what we normally percieve his face to look like.. because normally his eyes are less pronounced vs his brow and forehead. But here, the eyes are large... and more pronounced.

I would imagine given the high articulation of the brow, and eyelids... the proportions and spacing in this area is very constrained by the mechanical design. I bet they have less creative control in this space and instead may be working with fixed locations for eyes vs mouth and offsets for depth or shallow.

I think Trump's normal use of heavy makeup also contributes to this where his face looks very FLAT under TV lighting conditions... where the stage lighting seems to exaggerate the shadow under his brow.

I think fixing the brow and upper eyelids is the key to making the face look more true to public perception of him.
When you look at all of those pictures together, the AA figure also has too pale of skin. It needed to be a far more tanned look to be authentic. The AA makes him look like he's a zombie up close.

tnemgif

I didn't see this posted on here yet. The Daily Show did a bit on the HOP update:

This isn't intended to make a political statement. Funny regardless of who you vote for.

macefamily

I agree with you. But it seems like the Imagineers didn't do their best work on this President. I'm sure President Trump will tweet something out about it.

disneygeek90

If anyone starts booing or attempts to throw something in the new Hall of Presidents, they should be kicked out of Disney for life. Be adult and respect the Office. Enough already.
People have booed in the past from time to time, it's nothing new. However, I hope those that would have the urge to do this, or even those that would be uncomfortable viewing, take a hiatus from the show for a while.

Fractal514

So far it seems everyone has been very well behaved at the attraction. Excellent news.
I hope that keeps up, but I don't think we can predict anything based on the past week or even the next month of so. New and reopened attractions always get a big bump in attendance and there is a lot of curiosity about this particular opening. There may be some curiosity that carries over and some Trump supporters who make a point out of going to see this, but I I think we'll see numbers fall back to where they were a few years ago, possibly lower. Once that happens, I wonder if folks will feel more empowered to make jokes or boo or whatever. Again, I hope they don't, but I wonder if they will.

WDWTank

I don't think it's "anyone", as in, anyone that we would know. At times it sounds a little like Viola Davis, but then at others...not so much. If it is Viola Davis, she had a cold. My guess is, they just went with uncredited studio voice talent.
Is it Tyra Banks?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If anyone starts booing or attempts to throw something in the new Hall of Presidents, they should be kicked out of Disney for life. Be adult and respect the Office. Enough already.
You can’t temper emotion.

There is still a larger than usual security operation in the theatre. I wonder if they’ll still be needed in four years for the next version of the show.

Last edited:

britain

There is still a larger than usual security operation in the theatre. I wonder if they’ll still be needed in four years for the next version of the show.

It's time to rethink the use of the space. The show is inferior to American Adventure. In general, the audience is unaware that there are plenty of scoundrels and embarrassingly bad people up there on that stage (and I'm just talking about presidents from the 1800's). I know the stage is huge, but c'mon, how long are we just going to keep doing this "add a new figure every four or eight years" thing?

Focus on the best presidents (like the filmed portions do now). To further differentiate it from American Adventure, I'd take that space and make a ride through history. Or make it a walk-thru HALL of Presidents. Basically a top-notch, interactive historical exhibit.

matt9112

Sure, I'm just saying they keep the 'spotlighting' they are already doing with the filmed portion of the show. Just make it a ride, and throw out a few dozen AA's of the presidents that aren't getting the spotlight.

Or make it a neat museum.

it's essentially a theater based museum as is? a tribute to the office.

britain

it's essentially a theater based museum as is? a tribute to the office.

It shouldn't be a theater anymore with a lot of infrastructure dedicated to a presentation of 44 figures. It could be made into a better tribute by being either a walk-thru, or a ride.

It's inevitable sooner or later. What about when we're at 50 figures? 60 figures? At some point, it just doesn't make sense neither artistically or practically.

smile

staff can't, of course, but an individual certainly should...
if one anticipates they'll be offended by anything in there enough to the point where they won't be able to control themselves, they should do a little self-policing and avoid the show.

disruptive behavior is unacceptable in any attraction - this should be no different

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
staff can't, of course, but an individual certainly should...
if one anticipates they'll be offended by anything in there enough to the point where they won't be able to control themselves, they should do a little self-policing and avoid the show.

disruptive behavior is unacceptable in any attraction - this should be no different
Let’s face it though, a large percentage of guests don’t know what they’re even queuing for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom