The great "stroller" conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olijimcha

I do find it comical when people lecture others on their interpretation of need. I mean look anywhere in WDW or most places in the western world and the term need is very much a personal affair, indeed it would be easy to turn your ire in any direction if it's about exceeding need.
I mean really, can anyone on these boards say that they never indulge in more than they really need? Especially at WDW! If you can honestly say that then you have my admiration, I wish I could be so restrained.

I'm not a fan of massive strollers but as long as people are patient and considerate (stroller or not) live and let live I say.

raven

Have kids changed that much in the last 15 - 20 years that this can not be done anymore?

Kids, no, Parents, that's up to debate. I think our generation have given our kids more freedom than we got. Not saying that we were deprived, it's just back then we seemed to have had more structure and discipline.

toystorymaniacs

I do find it comical when people lecture others on their interpretation of need. I mean look anywhere in WDW or most places in the western world and the term need is very much a personal affair, indeed it would be easy to turn your ire in any direction if it's about exceeding need.
I mean really, can anyone on these boards say that they never indulge in more than they really need? Especially at WDW! If you can honestly say that then you have my admiration, I wish I could be so restrained.

I'm not a fan of massive strollers but as long as people are patient and considerate (stroller or not) live and let live I say.

Very well put, the point of going to WDW is to indulge, We skimp on other things all year long so that we can go and indulge, we eat like we would never eat at home, we stay out late, have breakfast in a castle, dinner where we can twirl our napkins and dance, and spend more money than we ever think possible. My child never rides in a stroller outside of Disney not at the zoo, the mueseums we go to, the mall or even a grocery cart in the store, but we aren't at any of those places for a week or more day in and day out. So yes, while I indulge in one to many ice cream sandwiches and my husband buys a monorail set, I will allow my seven year old to ride in a stroller now and then, because guess what, it's his vacation too.

jakeman

Ha! That is funny! So basically let's ban little kids from Disney? Before 5 or 6 years old, when they still believe that everything is "real" is when it's most magical for them!
I never said ban kids from WDW. Please don't take my post out of context. She wanted an answer on how to avoid bringing a giant stroller to the parks, I supplied her with one.

Jakeman:
Really?? I wanted a good answer.
I'm sorry you didn't like my answer, but it is an option.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
As expected whenever these threads come up, people get really defensive "omg, you can't tell me how to raise my kids/plan my vacation/etc."

Like "omg you can't tell me to lose weight so I don't need an ECV everywhere"

Again, this is not talking about those small percentage of people with disabilities, this is about the ever increasing amounts of people who are just being lazy.

Go to Tokyo Disney, go to Hong Kong, go to Paris and see how those families get by without SUV strollers and ECV's everywhere. They do it! People in the U.S. did too, for decades, now suddenly every kid needs a massive stroller with all of the creature comforts of home which weighs a few hundred pounds and isn't able to be stopped in 10 feet?

Someone mentioned that some of us are turning into the future that Wall-E portrayed, I agree.

kerrie

Nobody needs suv stroller s and as a mother of 2 both in a stroller and I use a double stroller there are ways to co inside with people who don’t. I mean yes there are special needs of all ages ok, then there are considerate people with and without strollers but don’t think of all of us as a bunch of selfish a____________s who run people down and stop in middle of walk ways. An we shouldnt all be considered inconsiderate becaus eof others either. to each their own

As expected whenever these threads come up, people get really defensive "omg, you can't tell me how to raise my kids/plan my vacation/etc."

Like "omg you can't tell me to lose weight so I don't need an ECV everywhere"

Again, this is not talking about those small percentage of people with disabilities, this is about the ever increasing amounts of people who are just being lazy.

Go to Tokyo Disney, go to Hong Kong, go to Paris and see how those families get by without SUV strollers and ECV's everywhere. They do it! People in the U.S. did too, for decades, now suddenly every kid needs a massive stroller with all of the creature comforts of home which weighs a few hundred pounds and isn't able to be stopped in 10 feet?

Someone mentioned that some of us are turning into the future that Wall-E portrayed, I agree.
My experience has mostly been with foreigners in this with the stretch limo/SUV stroller.

Phonedave

My parents did it with three boys back in the 70's, and we did the same with ours twenty years later.

Get tired? Take a break.

Can't carry your child? Hit the gym.

Well, my parents never took me to WDW in the 70's (we didn't go until much later) but I recall many many trips we took, and to be honest I dont even recall having a stroller. We had a carrage when I was a baby, but after that, I had too good legs.

I also took my kids to WDW - up until around 4 they had strollers, after that - leg it. I would take maybe 4-5 diapers, a small pack of wipes, and dress them in layers. If it gets too hot, they tie their sweatshirt around their waist. If it gets chilly again, then put it back on. Easy as pie :)

-dave

GenerationX

Nothing brings out superiority complexes like the great stroller debate. The condescending lazy kid/bad parent theories, while being a nice boost for the posters' egos, are based completely on illogical assumptions. I doubt anyone wants to bring more crap to the parks than they feel is necessary.

The most logical reason for the (presumed) increase in stroller size and usage is the obvious one: efficiency. Many guests, particularly those from other states or countries, visit WDW for five to ten days every year or so. These guests want to maximize their time in the parks, because they're not sure when they're going to return.

Strollers increase the amount of time a child can go before getting tired. Strollers piled with all sorts of crap increase the amount of time a family can stay in the park. There are lists available here and at allearsnet that detail the stuff you might need while touring. They're a bit exhaustive, but some people want to be ultra-prepared ... so they can stay in the parks longer.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to stay in the parks longer, and there is nothing wrong with using a stroller to further that objective.

daliseurat

But her point is, you, who are walking around seething at all the people with their giant strollers, don't KNOW which of the parents using the strollers has a special needs child. So when she is in the park with her child, who does NEED the stroller, she gets to enjoy the paranoia of knowing that some of the people around her are angry at her while she is just trying to enjoy the park with her child. She also gets to enjoy the paranoia of knowing that someone at the park was so upset at the presence of her special needs child in the stroller, that they will come back home and complain about it to the masses on a forum.

No matter how much you try to tell her, "Look, it sounds like I'm complaining about you, but I'm really only complaining about the other people who look just like you when they get in my way," I'm sure that doesn't ease the paranoia of knowing you are constantly being judged by random people who don't even know you.

And let me make another point. In previous decades, it was far more common to hide special needs children away from public sight, at home or in institutions. The trend in the last couple of decades has been toward community integration, and most of the institutions have been shut down. So, in fact, there ARE far more special needs children out in public, including Disney World, than there would have been in the past. I say this as someone who worked with people with disabilities for many years doing community integration.

The real problem, as I see it, is that people are increasingly far less tolerant of other people. People increasingly can't stand being inconvenienced by other human beings. And this goes for the person walking down the sidewalk who sees a giant stroller in his way as much as for the elderly woman in the ECV who is constantly honking at the walkers.

I'm not seething at anyone. I'm pointing out that we have an out of control AMOUNT of strollers and of inconsiderate users. I'm just trying to explain how we got this problem.

And I'm trying to explain that no one is pointing a finger at someone with a true need. So they shouldn't feel bad when someone is complaining about the problem.

And I'd suggest that along with a whole lot of intolerant folks, we have even more folks with the " I can do whatever I want no matter how badly it effects everyone else" attitude. And these folks are EVERYWHERE, whether they have a stroller or not.

I am far more tolerant and considerate at the parks than I am at home. I wish more people would do the same.

Tubes

I can see why people bring food and such to the parks because it gets expensive once you past the gates. I remember my family bringing mini-bagels for snacking through the day before dinner. Considering we ate table service nearly every day, it saved money that would have been spent on lunch for 4. But it's not like you need to bring massive amounts of brain stimulation with you as well. I mean, it's a theme park. You paid for fun, you don't need to bring more fun with you. If you are waiting in line, look at the park map. Plan your next route. Talk to the person in front or behind you. As far as the stroller situation and those related to it, I got stroller shock when I went to MK in March. I don't remember so may strollers in a park in my previous visit nor at either Universal parks nor at Epcot. So seeing the massive stroller park near the old Skyway station was bizarre to me. I mostly chalked it up to MK being more kid friendly than other Disney parks. I certainly haven't been rammed by one and haven't seen a 7 year old or older sleeping in one. But I feel like kids should be allowed to experience MK at their own pace and not be rushed along by their elders. I can say from experience that I often rush through parks too fast and don't take in all the details. Heck, I still wish I had a day or two extra to explore DLR back in 2005. So this goes to everyone, the stroller nazi's plowing their way through guests and the stroller haters rushing past them and ending up on granny's lap. Slow the ________ down. Take your time and explore the park, as opposed to sprinting from one E-Ticket to another. Big Thunder isn't going to leave.

daliseurat

I really want a good answer here. Not rude comments. I had 3 kids in 4 years. I use a tandam (one in front of the other) not a double wide. What do you expect me to do? Give me some other options.

I wish you'd have posted your kids ages, and whether or not you come with all three by yourself. Then I'd give you my best answer.

I'll assume your youngest are toddlers, as that's what the pic suggests.

Multiple little ones means you probably NEED the stroller. And you've selected a smart stroller, the tandem. So I'm not sure you have any other options until they can all walk the parks. And I know you probably have the problem of one can walk the parks, but whines about it because the other two get to ride.

I'd say you're already doing the best you can.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Coming soon to wdw

"All-access hoverchairs, even grandma can join the fun! There's no need to walk!"

only a matter of time....

Phonedave

Strollers increase the amount of time a child can go before getting tired. Strollers piled with all sorts of crap increase the amount of time a family can stay in the park. There are lists available here and at allearsnet that detail the stuff you might need while touring. They're a bit exhaustive, but some people want to be ultra-prepared ... so they can stay in the parks longer.

There is that word again.

Lets be honest, it's not NEED. It's "things that may make your life easier"

You dont NEED 4 different kinds of snacks and a cooler with a selection of juice. In fact you NEED no snacks at all - there are many for sale in the park. OK, if money is that tight, then a ziplock bag with some dry cerial or dried fruit, or crackers is all that you "need". As for drinks, unless your kid is still on the bottle, or has some sort of special requirement (diabetic, allergies, etc) then you done NEED to take an assortment of chilled drinks. You may WANT to, you may DESIRE to, but it is not a need.

Need is a word that gets thrown around a lot lately. A lot of people are loosing their homes because they NEEDED to get a big house, they NEEDED a new car, or they NEEDED to go out to eat every night.

If you WANT to take a stroller full of luggage to the parks, thats fine with me, but lets call it for what it is - a choice that you choose to make, not a need.

-dave

MousDad

^It's understood that the word "need" does not need to be grammatically used in its strictest sense at all times. "Need" to be translated only in the strict sense you're demanding is pointless, and leads to never-ending application.

For instance: Do you really need wide walkways free of strollers? Do you really need for your shins to not be bumped? Do you really need to care about how other guests tour the park?

Like I said before, the person pushing it is having a much less fun time than you are. Period. They're just having a slightly better time than they would be dragging their kids. Seems like a fair point of compromise to me.

EpcoTim

WDWspring2008305.jpg

What a disgusting eyesore. It really does kill the look of the area. Like rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom