The Great Movie Ride...Time For A Change

muse1983

Original Poster
I realize there have been dozens of posts concerning The Great Movie Ride however I feel inclined to speak up again.

After popping in out May 2009 WDW vacation dvd and watching the footage I got of TGMR I can't help but be dissapointed all over again. It's absolutely begging to be shut down for a year, stripped and redone completely. I'm not going to rant anymore about how dated and boring the ride has become instead I will ask you this. If you could pick 3 new scenes to be part of the Great Movie Ride, what would you choose? ( Also if someone has any new info on the status of TGMR actually getting a massive refurb let me know)

My 3 picks:
1. Empire Strikes Back (Bridge scene where Vader informs Luke that he is his father)
2. Wall-E ( Wall-e and Eve dancing among the stars in space)
3. Indiana Jones ( really any state of the art technology utilized in any of the classic indy trilogy would make me happy)

Studios Fan

I would replace Alien with the Empire Strikes Back. I think overall the ride could be refurbed and the AAs brought up to date, but I still enjoy the ride overall.

sorcerergoofy

I agree! This ride needs a huge makeover!

If I could add 5 scenes they would be:

• Anything from Star Wars
  • Gone With The Wind
  • Something from a super hero movie (Batman, Superman...)
  • A scene from a Disney Classic (Aladdin, Lion King...etc...)
  • A more recent blockbuster (Avatar maybe?)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`d just be happy with just an Animatronic overhaul and effects refurb. The overall show still works fine but the AAs.... some are just embarrassing.

muse1983

Original Poster
There is SO much more they could do with TGMR with todays technology. Can you imagine transitioning to a scene to hear the Pride Rock music playing as we see an animatronic grown Simba making his way to the top of pride rock etc...Vader telling Luke " I AM YOUR FATHER"... etc etc. It could be one of the greatest rides every built by Disney imagineers.

jonnyc

There are so many classic films that I would love to see added in any potential GMR refurb, my top 3 that spring to mind are...

The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction - (Maybe the Royale with Cheese scene)
Rocky

jlmct52

I agree The Great Movie Ride needs a refurbishing; content and AA's. I feel the AA refurb would be much easier with the world being the way it is. Licensing fees for non-Disney movies to be used would probably be a nightmare.

This post angers me more than any other on these forums probably because TGMR is one of my personal favorites...

A. Alien cannot be replaced because it is probably the best Science Fiction movie(Excluding Star Wars which already has enough themeing in HS).
B. Disney does not own the rights to Batman or Superman and I am so tired of hearing about AVATAR.
C. Don't fix whats not broken. These movies are in the ride because it is THE GREAT movie ride. There is other great movies as well but most of them haven't been mentioned. And in response to the poster who put Pulp Fiction, I would love that as it's one of my favorites of all time, but I can't see putting it in cause of the VERY adult themes.

Had to vent...

rct247

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Chocolate Room with Gene Wilder singing Pure Imagination.

Lord of the Rings - Not sure which scene maybe Gandalf vs. the Balrog.

Silent Movies Montage/Salute - Clips of Charlie Chaplin & Laurel and Hardy...replace Footlight Parade.

champdisney

I would really like to see Disney remake the Wicked Witch AA into a state of the art AA just like the Capt. Jack AA's inside Pirates. So goes for the other AA's inside the attraction but as for my choices for 3 new scenes for the attraction I would have to say...

1. Star Wars (Either a scene muse1983 described or a scene from Revenge of the Sith involving the Skywalker and Kenobi lightsaber duel or the rise of Vader scene in which the Empire says "Lord Vader... Rise!")
2. A Nightmare on Elm Street (Boiler room scene)
3. The Prestige (A scene involving magic)

ABigBrassBand

Oh, I would love A Clockwork Orange as a scene in it! Probably won't happen though :-/, but if anything, the scene where they hook Alex up to watch the movie.

Also, the shower scene in Psycho anyone?
They also have to re-furb the ending thing. I mean, really, HSM in the ending? 0_o

EDIT: Song of The South? :D, but they already have a ride featured for it in MK so I don't know about that one...

ABigBrassBand

Are you referring to the finale montage? If so, HSM is not there, thank god!!!
Really? I remember seeing a shot of Sharpay in the finale montage, but my memory could be hazy.

BTW, thought of another scene. Choose one from Titanic, either the end with Rose and Jack's dead body on the chunk of ice with the ship in the background, or in the beginning with Jack holding Rose over the edge of the boat, when she is about to jump.

EDIT: Even better idea! Maybe a cast member acts as Jack and says "and here we are coming up on the right is a boat.......WHAT IS THAT GIRL DOING? *runs and has a conversation with a Rose CM and saves her*

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Silent Movies Montage/Salute - Clips of Charlie Chaplin & Laurel and Hardy...replace Footlight Parade.
That's one of the few GOOD ideas on this thread!
I'd like to see a large set, entirely black and white, though, with the classic slapstick gags going on.

Edisto Pluto

This post angers me more than any other on these forums probably because TGMR is one of my personal favorites...

A. Alien cannot be replaced because it is probably the best Science Fiction movie(Excluding Star Wars which already has enough themeing in HS).
B. Disney does not own the rights to Batman or Superman and I am so tired of hearing about AVATAR.
C. Don't fix whats not broken. These movies are in the ride because it is THE GREAT movie ride. There is other great movies as well but most of them haven't been mentioned. And in response to the poster who put Pulp Fiction, I would love that as it's one of my favorites of all time, but I can't see putting it in cause of the VERY adult themes.

Had to vent...
It doesn't anger me but I agree this is one of my favorites as well. As with any attraction with time some TLC and updating is in line. The classic movies are just that classic. Add, improve,refresh,update but don't gut and start over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom