The Great Movie Ride...Time For A Change

Kev1417

I think when/if TGMR gets updated the designers will need to consider what current movies (5 years) that have the potential to be "classics". I feel one of the problems with the ride is that it doesn't appeal to children or even older teens now. While the older generation (i guess i fall into that age now - 30+) have all seen or at least heard of the movies, i don't think the younger generations have. Have young adults even seen the Alien franchise? Do parents show the Wizard of Oz to their kids anymore? I'm betting the younger visitors have no clue about Casablanca, or that Tarzan was not an animated movie. I understand part of the ride takes you throught the history of movies, but i'm okay sacraficing some scenes for the improvement of the ride with more recent movie scenes, or at least more well known with all generations now.

So i feel if the ride is to get an update we need to find something equal to what Aliens was back in the day. what that movie is.....i couldn't tell you. But they need to find recent movies (within 5years or so) that will make a great scene for the future.

as much as i love the Wizard of Oz scene, i think a Pride Rock scene would be perfect in that location. imagine that huge room made to look like a Savanah with all life sized animals around you. In making this change i'm assuming Wizard of Oz is no longer THAT popular with everyone anymore, or at least not as much as Lion King would be.

i'm probably going to get bashed for even thinking about removing some "classic" scenes. Once removed maybe put the actual scene in the film at the end? But we do need to get to updating here at the cost of removing existing items. Look into the future. It's okay to say good bye to scenes/rides at the world fellow disney freaks.

Eyorefan

I really want to know why people pick on TGMR as being the thing at DHS that needs a referb. I wouldn't argue that the ride needs new AA, and a lot more, but the park needs soo much updating that TGMR is low on my list of things I would like to see done.

Can we adress the fact that the Indie stunt show hasn't changed in the last 20 years. The fact that BLT is just getting worse by the day. Sounds Danergous needs to go. What about doing something with the Animation building that has become a giant waste of space? That's just the tip of the iceburg.

DHS used to be one of my favoriate parks, but it hasn't ever gotten the money it needs to meet is full potential. After the DCA overhaul is finished, my dream would be to see the same kind of money poored into DHS to make it the park it could be. I know it will never happen though.:(

Lbg206

TGMR is one of my personal favorites...

Don't fix whats not broken. These movies are in the ride because it is THE GREAT movie ride. There is other great movies as well but most of them haven't been mentioned.

Had to vent...

AMEN!!!! DITTO!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. I adore this ride just the way it is and wouldn't want to change a thing, especially not the movies. Perhaps the AA's could one day use a reburb, but i wouldn't change anything about the actual ride itself at all. I went on this one the first time when I was 9 years old and was bored to tears, my parents dragged me on it. I never rode it again until last year in "09 when I was 26 years old and LOVED it! I thought the movies were perfect and the scenes were great. Do I love every one of the movies in it...No, but they are all classics in their own rights and so is the ride. I hope they never change a thing or I'd be so sad and disappointed.

Enchantâmes

I really want to know why people pick on TGMR as being the thing at DHS that needs a referb. I wouldn't argue that the ride needs new AA, and a lot more, but the park needs soo much updating that TGMR is low on my list of things I would like to see done.

Can we adress the fact that the Indie stunt show hasn't changed in the last 20 years. The fact that BLT is just getting worse by the day. Sounds Danergous needs to go. What about doing something with the Animation building that has become a giant waste of space? That's just the tip of the iceburg.

DHS used to be one of my favoriate parks, but it hasn't ever gotten the money it needs to meet is full potential. After the DCA overhaul is finished, my dream would be to see the same kind of money poored into DHS to make it the park it could be. I know it will never happen though.:(
Because all the Nerds need to vent their ideas of what they think Classic movies are. When really just want to see movies that just came out and are going to be forgotten in a ride that has films that are actually classics and not some fanboy's fan fiction. I would rather see The Great Muppet Movie ride built behind Muppet Vision 3D as it was planned back in the 90's. :D

Animaniac93-98

I think when/if TGMR gets updated the designers will need to consider what current movies (5 years) that have the potential to be "classics". I feel one of the problems with the ride is that it doesn't appeal to children or even older teens now. While the older generation (i guess i fall into that age now - 30+) have all seen or at least heard of the movies, i don't think the younger generations have. Have young adults even seen the Alien franchise? Do parents show the Wizard of Oz to their kids anymore? I'm betting the younger visitors have no clue about Casablanca, or that Tarzan was not an animated movie. I understand part of the ride takes you throught the history of movies, but i'm okay sacraficing some scenes for the improvement of the ride with more recent movie scenes, or at least more well known with all generations now.

So i feel if the ride is to get an update we need to find something equal to what Aliens was back in the day. what that movie is.....i couldn't tell you. But they need to find recent movies (within 5years or so) that will make a great scene for the future.

as much as i love the Wizard of Oz scene, i think a Pride Rock scene would be perfect in that location. imagine that huge room made to look like a Savanah with all life sized animals around you. In making this change i'm assuming Wizard of Oz is no longer THAT popular with everyone anymore, or at least not as much as Lion King would be.

i'm probably going to get bashed for even thinking about removing some "classic" scenes. Once removed maybe put the actual scene in the film at the end? But we do need to get to updating here at the cost of removing existing items. Look into the future. It's okay to say good bye to scenes/rides at the world fellow disney freaks.

You're falling into the common trap of assumptions with this ride. Oz is the most widely seen film ever, why drop it?

Have young adults seen Alien? Probably, it's kinda famous. 172,963 people have helped make it one IMDB's top 250 films for example.

Who doesn't know who Tarzan is? Or why should Casablanca, another film that has retained its popularity for decades (ranks #13 on IMDB, #2 of the 1997 AFI top 100 movies list, #3 in 2007 etc), be removed just because we assume 5 year olds haven't seen it and they should have seen everything in the ride prior to visiting. So much for education.

Lion King is elsewhere in WDW. There's no need for it to be in a ride with Singin' in the Rain and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

UrbanDonovan

I don't think there is a thing wrong with any of the scenes in the GMR. The AAs need to be updated, but the actual films depicted are classics of the medium.

That being said, if I had to choose three scenes to be added, I would go with:

*The Godfather (opening scene with Don Vitto behind his desk, stroking his pet cat)

*Forrest Gump (Forrest on the Savannah city bench, waiting for the bus, dressed in the pimp 80's suit, white sneakers and holding Jenny's box of chocolate)

*Saving Private Ryan (Omaha Beach landing.....now that would be freakin' EPIC!!!!)

And if anyone says Avatar, I will scream!!! That movie blew. It blew the first time I saw it, when it was a crappy 80's animated feature called Fern Gully.

Chubchub

You are right that some of the movies here are lost on the younger generations. However alien is still really big with teens just because of Alien vs Predator that came out. I'm 22 and my brother is 13, and on some of the scenes we were just like "wha?" The gangster part with mugsy was lost on me till I heard the accent and "see?!" but I only know about it from bugs bunny. :lookaroun

After we got home we watched some of the classics but as time goes on the ride will become more obscure. Without new additions or new technology appealing to younger crowds this ride could be shut down because it won't get many riders. Disney is a business, sure it would be nice for older generations if they kept it around but that's a small portion of their target audience. I'm sure they are aware that some people are going to be angry if any change is made but it is necessary to keep up with the times. Could you imagine if they kept everything the exact same as when it first opened? Sure, a few people would think its awesome and keep going back but it would fail to attract new guests. They should add new scenes and keep some old ones IMO. I just hope it doesn't turn out like the Tiki Room under new management.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom