Trip Report The GRAND Birthday! *COMPLETED*

“Hey, Ma ~ you’re about to celebrate a BIG birthday. What are you going to do next?”
“I’m going to Disney World!”

If it were only as simple as it sounds in the commercial. But we all know that real life rarely aligns with what is portrayed on TV....or for that matter (dare I say?) social media. My mother was hitting a milestone on 2/1/2019 and I wanted to take her to her favorite vacation destination to celebrate. (The fact that it also happens to be mine was a bonus!) However when I presented the idea to her back in the fall, she was reluctant to accept my offer.

Ten years ago our extended family went to WDW to celebrate her last big birthday. During that trip, paramedics were called because my infant nephew was experiencing breathing difficulties; my sister-in-law got either food poisoning or a bad case of stomach flu which necessitated a doctor coming to her resort room (and an extended stay); and my dear Woody came down with similar symptoms which resulted in an ambulance ride to the ER on the night we arrived home.

Needless to say that was the end of our extended family vacations.

I had to clarify with Mom that I wasn’t planning a big gathering. Still, she wasn’t sure she wanted to go. My father was recovering from some recent health challenges and she was uncertain she’d feel comfortable leaving him. She asked for some time to think it over.

Meanwhile I jumped on some cheap airfare and booked the hotel, figuring it was worth the risk. Just before Thanksgiving, with my dad’s blessing, Mom decided she would like to go.

“Where will we stay?” she asked.
“It’s a big event. Where do you think we should stay?” I answered.
Mom paused and without waiting for her reply I continued: “It’s going to be a grand celebration, so we must stay at the Grand Floridian!”
Mom choked up and said, “I never thought I’d ever be able to stay there.”

Well now she has! And we had a wonderful time at the resort and in the parks. There was even a surprise or two.

As for this:
That's the interesting thing -- something new, fun, or outright bizarre happens on all your trips, and that's what keeps us coming back for more. It's kinda like a written version (with photos), of a Tuvalu WDW reality show. :p Looking forward to the next installment in the series.
Stay tuned for the bizarre!

I wish this trip could have been mother/daughter/granddaughter. Sadly, Em was unable to join us.

Who: Tuvalu and Mom
When: January 29 - February 2, 2019
Where: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa (the “and Spa” gets me every time!)

93boomer

Premium Member
Wisdom = Riding a spinner before lunch.

View attachment 352452

Light fixtures for @Doc Disney. (I don’t recall seeing these in your report.)
View attachment 352453
I love how they look like lighted candlesticks!

We arose when we were summoned, “From the colony of Georgia....”

We were seated in the George Washington room. This prompted Mom to ask our server, “Will George be dining with us today?”
Without missing a beat she replied, “He’s upstairs looking over some papers. I’m sure he’ll stop by if he has a chance.”

Thus began a wonderful session of chit chat we had with our server over the course of our meal. She was the polar opposite of the server at Mama’s ~ efficient, kind-hearted, refilling drinks before they were empty, explaining and recommending dishes on the menu.

To my delight LTT has a new (expanded) à la carte lunch menu. And my go-to Pilgrim’s Feast is back on it!

View attachment 352455

However I was a little less excited when I saw the on-menu price was $5 higher ($24) than the off-menu price in August ($19).

But I can never resist TURKEY. 🦃
View attachment 352457

Mom went with the Tavern Pot Roast. Our server said this fork-tender house specialty is a rump cut that is seared, then slow-baked for several hours, then seared again. It is so moist and flavorful that it needs very little gravy.

View attachment 352456

Woody orders the pot roast all the time but it is usually served with green beans. Mom’s came with roasted root veggies which were delicious. (I never knew I liked parsnips!) All this to say, if roasted root veggies are an option (with the amazing pot roast) the next time I dine at LTT, I might have to give up my turkey.....

We almost cleaned our plates. We had to save some room for Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake!
(WARNING @docdebbi ~ pictures ahead!)
We told our server we were sharing one Ooey Gooey. What we received was the thickest piece of cake (with a very generous scoop of ice cream) that I have ever gotten as a “single” serving.

View attachment 352458

Methinks she gave us a double portion. 🤗
View attachment 352460

We did our best!
View attachment 352461
Now I am hungry🤣

krause

As per the image below the circumference is the linear distance around a circle- the diameter is any straight line segment that passes through the centre of the circle
So the spinner had a wide diameter- not circumference
I would also accept a wide radius

View attachment 352462
( go ahead - keep taking photo bomb shots - I can do this all day!!!)

Max

Sooo much time to troll poor @Tuvalu but no time to work on your own report? 🤔

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
After lunch we witnessed a Great Moment in History....

....and burned FP #3 in the Hundred Acre Wood.

While waiting for our window for FP #4 we decided to do some shopping. It was funny that in every store we visited, wheeled racks of sweatshirts were prominently displayed near the entrances and cash registers. Disney never lets a marketing opportunity slip by! (And yeah, we fell for it. :joyfull:)

This infant dress was not available in Tuvaleen’s size, otherwise she would have been a Little Miss Poppins!

DisneyGigi

After lunch we witnessed a Great Moment in History....

View attachment 352479

View attachment 352480

....and burned FP #3 in the Hundred Acre Wood.

View attachment 352476

View attachment 352477

While waiting for our window for FP #4 we decided to do some shopping. It was funny that in every store we visited, wheeled racks of sweatshirts were prominently displayed near the entrances and cash registers. Disney never lets a marketing opportunity slip by! (And yeah, we fell for it. :joyfull:)

This infant dress was not available in Tuvaleen’s size, otherwise she would have been a Little Miss Poppins!

View attachment 352478
I had meant to buy the Splash sweatshirt in November, but it sold out after it got so stinking cold. It was funny the racks they brought out though with hats and gloves and sweatshirts.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Energizer Bunny noted that we hadn’t been to Tomorrowland yet.

As we headed in that direction I caught a glimpse of the standby wait time for 7DMT. It was nearing parade time, meaning waits should theoretically be shorter....right?

120 minutes said otherwise. :in pain:

But with Peter Pan, the Speedway and the MPB closed, all those riders were forced to go elsewhere ~ making already-long lines longer.

Mom chose an attraction with a semi-short line.

Sad Speedway

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The line for Buzz was prohibitively long so Mom suggested Carousel Of Progress.

Just like at Country Bear Jamboree, we sat through a full house showing. Funny ~ in summer folks visit this attraction merely for the a/c. In winter it’s for the heat!

Imagine....it only takes five hours to do the wash!

She keeps that thing playing all day long!

(When she’s not attending a ghost banquet. 😉)

No privacy at all around this place!

John, this papering is getting out of hand!

Now I don’t mind people who choose CoP for a/c, heat, shelter from rain, or a nap....as long as they don’t disturb other guests who are watching the show.

But this couple beside us took RUDE to a whole new level.

They were on their devices the ENTIRE twenty minute show. 🤬

slipperalwaysfits

“It’s a thing we do.”
Not these! But can you believe that I actually have UNUSED Big Thunder Mountain FPs??!!!

Yes, the pictures are "A thing we do" if we are Disney lovers!

HOW do you have unused BTM FP's from way back in the day?? :eek:YES: How many different people can you ride BTMRR with in 2019?

Glad you enjoyed Splash and didn't get too wet, but I'd be warming up in the store, too...we've ridden it enough in December to feel the same way!

Oooey Gooey for the win! :p:p:p Too bad the turkey price went up :(

WHY on Earth be on your phone in COP?? :bawling::bored:If you can't appreciate it for what it is, then why go in there? I know you said for heat but jeesh, some people!:rolleyes::banghead:

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Mom was interested in Monster’s Inc. Laugh Floor but changed her mind when she saw the line. We cut through the Tomorrowland Terrace without stopping to pose at the infamous purple wall. We’d “been there, done that” in 2017.

After a restroom stop we enjoyed watching the ducks frolic through the flowerbed.
For you, @DisneyGigi.

Kinda wish that drake had nipped the hindquarters of person in black. And what’s with the kid lounging on the other side?

Next we meandered down Main Street and perused all the stores. Apparently we hadn’t had our fill of shopping yet!

We reached Town Square a few minutes before 5 pm. Knowing the flag retreat ceremony was about to occur, I asked Mom if she had ever seen it. She said yes but sensing that she was ready to leave the park (after 8 hours!) we headed for the monorail.

We’ll be home soon!

After disembarking at the GF, we took the lobby elevator (rather than the Grand staircase) down to the first floor. The big band was playing and all kinds of vacationers were relaxing to the soothing jazz.

Including Santa and the Mrs.

Do you suppose he’s checking inventory for next Christmas?

Tony the Tigger

Mom was interested in Monster’s Inc. Laugh Floor but changed her mind when she saw the line. We cut through the Tomorrowland Terrace without stopping to pose at the infamous purple wall. We’d “been there, done that” in 2017.

View attachment 352564

After a restroom stop we enjoyed watching the ducks frolic through the flowerbed.
For you, @DisneyGigi.

View attachment 352556

View attachment 352558
Kinda wish that drake had nipped the hindquarters of person in black. And what’s with the kid lounging on the other side?

Next we meandered down Main Street and perused all the stores. Apparently we hadn’t had our fill of shopping yet!

We reached Town Square a few minutes before 5 pm. Knowing the flag retreat ceremony was about to occur, I asked Mom if she had ever seen it. She said yes but sensing that she was ready to leave the park (after 8 hours!) we headed for the monorail.

View attachment 352559

We’ll be home soon!

View attachment 352557

After disembarking at the GF, we took the lobby elevator (rather than the Grand staircase) down to the first floor. The big band was playing and all kinds of vacationers were relaxing to the soothing jazz.

Including Santa and the Mrs.

View attachment 352560

View attachment 352561
Do you suppose he’s checking inventory for next Christmas?

Ooh, she shot you a look in that second shot!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We dropped our packages down on the bed. Our purchases were still in plastic Disney bags, though a couple days later canvas reusable bags began appearing in stores.

Mom was going to FaceTime my dad, so I went for a walk to give them some privacy.

It was the perfect time to snap people-free pool pics. No one would venture into the water in these cold conditions....I mean even Santa was hanging out indoors!

The bouquet in the lobby of Boca Chica.

I was away from our room for about 15 minutes. Imagine my surprise when I entered and discovered our room had been turned down!

Mom said the housekeeper had entered the room while she was on the phone. So much for 7 pm turndown....for the second night in a row!

KBLovedDisney

The line for Buzz was prohibitively long so Mom suggested Carousel Of Progress.

Just like at Country Bear Jamboree, we sat through a full house showing. Funny ~ in summer folks visit this attraction merely for the a/c. In winter it’s for the heat!

Imagine....it only takes five hours to do the wash!
View attachment 352500

She keeps that thing playing all day long!
View attachment 352501
(When she’s not attending a ghost banquet. 😉)

No privacy at all around this place!
View attachment 352503

John, this papering is getting out of hand!
View attachment 352504

Now I don’t mind people who choose CoP for a/c, heat, shelter from rain, or a nap....as long as they don’t disturb other guests who are watching the show.

But this couple beside us took RUDE to a whole new level.

View attachment 352502

They were on their devices the ENTIRE twenty minute show. 🤬
Is it sad that it still takes me 5 hours to do the wash? :rolleyes:

Sometimes it takes me even 8 plus hours, and it is just DH and me!o_O

I do laundry every weekend...I think we have a mystery guest living with us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom