the glass monument thing in front of Spaceship Earth

EPCOT Explorer

I have to ask... What monument? I went to WDW as a child in 1976 and then not again until I took my own children in '98 so I pretty much missed the glorious beginnings of Epcot. Does anyone have a link to a photo of the monument you are talking about?
epcotentrancesymbol.jpg

ballnight2.jpg

ballflowers1.jpg

It's still there, BTW...Just no sculpture on it...and it's been painted brown for LaL.:wave:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I can only assume since it was phased out from 1994 onwards slowly but surely (don`t mention the plaza paving!) it was decided it was out of place at the entrance. Funny how what goes around comes around.

Regarding the 1997 photo, I`m afraid I do have an explanation. That is a MKIV monorail. The photo may be copyright 1997, but was taken in 1982. I`d say end of September. The sculpture was late in arriving at the park - it was in position just in time for the opening. A close look will show no American Gardens covered stage, now Showcase entrance stores, the Seas plot is still dirt, and that the Centorium extention isn`t built, further placing the photo to at least pre 1985.

As an addition, I wasn`t sure, but it looks like that is the Stargate Restaurant extention being built - something being done around September 1982. Any chance of a larger sized pic?
Bit of a thread bump - but I`ve an answer. The photo was indeed a publicity photo, from September 1982. The sculpture arrived late from California, arriving on September 20th, and was installed in the week 21-28 September 1982. From the first week of September onwards there were cast and worker previews, hence the guests in the photo.

EPCOT Explorer

Bit of a thread bump - but I`ve an answer. The photo was indeed a publicity photo, from September 1982. The sculpture arrived late from California, arriving on September 20th, and was installed in the week 21-28 September 1982. From the first week of September onwards there were cast and worker previews, hence the guests in the photo.

Martin, that's fantastic work.:sohappy:

How did you ever find out?

EPCOT Explorer

I thank you :D

I was sent something by a good friend. Would it be too much to tell you by the end of Tuesday September 21st 2 of the 3 scultures were in place? ;)

That must have been a interesting sight to see!

And you were SENT something...?:lookaroun Oh, Martin....Don't tell me you have one of them!!??!:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom